• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID Please (1 Viewer)

Tav94

Back garden this morning could this be a Med gull.Location Plymouth Devon.

Attachments

• IMG_057Med Gull 3.jpg
    IMG_057Med Gull 3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 213
Tav94 said:
Back garden this morning could this be a Med gull.Location Plymouth Devon.

Based on the bill shape, leg colour and short tail alone I would say Med Gull, nice back garden bird!!
Somewhat unusual pose! Looks rather long winged as it drops in, assume you were feeding this guy...

Last edited:
buzzard12 said:
Based on the bill shape, leg colour and short tail alone I would say Med Gull, nice back garden bird!!
Somewhat unusual pose! Looks rather long winged as it drops in, assume you were feeding this guy...
Yes it came to bread on my shed roof with outher gull that are BH Gulls but not sen one like this in this area.

This definitely isn't a Med - it's a Herring Gull. Look at the bill and leg colour, the pale eye, and above all, the sheer size of the bird - look how long its wings are!

Hi Tav94!

It´s a Herring Gull, which has nearly finished it´s primary moult. P10 is yet to be finished and it has a big mirror, or a wholy white tip, which is hard to make out in the pic. while p9 has a smaller. A Med. Gull not fully adult has black markings on it´s primarie tips (variable amount) but in a different fashion, a different head pattern and a different shape of the bird.

http://www.baladeornithologique.com/Oiseaux/MouetMelano.htm

JanJ

a med gull woudlnt have that sort of streaking on its head either. In winter just a little black triangle extending from the eye

Ronayne88 said:
a med gull woudlnt have that sort of streaking on its head either. In winter just a little black triangle extending from the eye
Thanks for the ID went out today and found some Med Gulls not far from my house.

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 130
Tav94 said:
Thanks for the ID went out today and found some Med Gulls not far from my house.

and it looks like that one has a colour ring on the left leg. Hope you were able to read it and report it and you may have some interesting information as to the origin of this gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back