• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

A couple of years ago the little grebe painting wouldn't have appealed to me. But I've broadened my horizons since and consequently, I like it!

You've stepped beyond the constraints of 'wildlife art' and created a piece of Art which features wildlife. Bravo Nick!

Woody

Interesting, a couple of years back, all I liked was the very wild non-detailed pictures, believing that to get the energy and vitality of birds it was the only way, now I find myself admiring detail more and more. But every so often a big (nearly typed 'bog') brush and a splash of madness is too appealing. Lots of fun.

Two more pics, the warbler I love ( rare for an artist to like his own work, but hey, it's a wood warbler!) and oodles of grebes, not so keen on that one, but I think I've worked out what to do with it and have already got a different, bolder version scribbled out on some (very posh now) stretched paper!

Here they are:

Attachments

• finavril 002.jpg
    finavril 002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 140
  • finavril 001.jpg
    finavril 001.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 137
Thought I'd just replied to this, but it's been lost!
All I was saying was I love the painterly version of the grebes, blurry edges show a lot of confidence.

Thought I'd just replied to this, but it's been lost!
All I was saying was I love the painterly version of the grebes, blurry edges show a lot of confidence.

Hello there

Another vote for the painterly version- no matter how you go at it, there just has (IMHO) to be some deep intense black on a BNG image.

Anyone familiar with (remember) Paul Henery's BNG series? Old favourites of mine:

http://www.wildlifeandlandscape.co.uk/paulhenery_frameset.html

I think I prefer the 'blobby' version of the grebes too. I also think Szabi hit the nail on the head with his comment that it has a feel of the glare that you sometimes get in the bright sunshine. I would have put money on you liking Paul Henerey's work, it has the same kind of energy that you put into yours, kindred spirits I think.

Woody

For the grebes, I've got a big canvas that's just lying around gathering dust, I think that it's time for some acrylic finger painting (don't know if I mentioned that the blobby grebes was mostly fingerpainting, haha, made a right mess of the steering well during my driving lesson afterwards, serves them right for yelling at me!)

One more of the grebes, and two others in progress, a rework of a GSW from a couple of years back, and a new rock bunting, that doesn't seem to have too much left to do to it. Will try and get out and do a bit of sketching for the sketchathon, try and calm my nerves before my driving test on Wednesday (not a good idea trying to look at the kites whilst doing 100 km/h).

Attachments

• debutmai 002.jpg
    debutmai 002.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 122
  • debutmai 003.jpg
    debutmai 003.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 139
  • debutmai 001.jpg
    debutmai 001.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 131
Nick love that rock bunting painting but oh for just a smidgen more on those missing tones! You have created a wonderful warm feeling with those pale ochre colours in th ebackground. I would love to see a little more warm coming through towards the bird and in the branches. Colours from light very much influences the colours in the surrounding detail (especially where there are whites) and it is important to remember that in the overall colour scheme. Also the merest glimpse of a catchlight to the birds eye would really lift it. Beautiful work on the branches, love the overall composition.
Oh and good luck in your test ;)

With the grebes - you have really hit a top C. Your use of pure colour and accented mark-making makes this much, much more than a painting about birds. Your trademark compositional strengths are there, combined with an exquisite palette. I think this is a seminal piece, and feel somewhat priveliged to have witnessed your personal struggle to achieve it.
(The driving test will be a piece of cake compared to the angst of the grebes!).
Good luck - and well done.

Thanks for the comments, and about the driving, I'd rather be banging my head against a canvas of grebes than a car against the pavement again!

Psilo, you're going to hate me! I got drunk and instead of 'tweaking' the rock bunting (as was my intention) I got the big brush and the painty fingers out, I'll post the finished piece when it's done, whatever it ends up like!

(think I should video myself painting and then burn the result like some of those 'art is fleeting and ephemeral' types, then everyone can pause at their favourite stage of the picture!)

Lmao Nick drunk and in charge of a very large paint brush! frightening!!! I hope you werent too rough that was such a beautiful delicate little piece of work.... well as long as you chucked a bit more colour and tone around I wont scold you too much ;)
Hope your head is clear enough for some decent sketching in the morning hehehe

Here are the results of a bit of paint and most of a bottle of rather excellent sparkling Muscadet: One finished Rock Bunting and a rather vicious couple fo Great Crested Grebes.

Attachments

• debutmai 002.jpg
    debutmai 002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 136
  • debutmai 001.jpg
    debutmai 001.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back