• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around baghdad (1 Viewer)

great reports jos
i do belive i have become aquainted to reading great reports from you whatever the subject

Thank you Lark,

I'm going to try to post some digital photos I've taken while here. They won't be too impressive since I have some fairly simple camera gear.

The Common and Iraqi Babbler are pretty interesting birds but they don't stay put long enough for me to try to photograph them with any kind of scope. My shot of the Iraqi Babbler was too large for this format so I will have to resize it and send it later.

The Pied Kingfisher was kind enough to sit still while I took this picture through my binoculars (digi-bins?). I'll try to post a few more pictures later.

Joe H

Attachments

• babbler.JPG
    babbler.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 421
  • kingfisher.JPG
    kingfisher.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 416
Greetings,

Another attempt to attach photos. These are a Common Kingfisher and a White-throated Kingfisher. These plus the Pied Kingfisher seen above fill out the three kingfishers seen here.

Joe

Attachments

• king.JPG
    king.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 367
  • white-throated.JPG
    white-throated.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
One last shot. This is the Iraqi Babbler. The differences between the Iraqi and the Common Babbler, is that the Iraqi has a more chestnut breast, less streaking on the back, almost no streaking on the underparts, and darker legs than the Common Babbler. The calls are also quite different.

Take care,

Joe H

Attachments

• Iraqi Babbler.JPG
    Iraqi Babbler.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 434
I know its all contentious stuff - being in iraq etc - but i think its really good that you send in these reports. i find it very interesting.
best wishes and keep it up.

Merry Christmas!

It's getting towards the end of the month so I'll prepare another update. Here are a few more photographs I've taken since being here. These are a Gray Heron and a Little Egret. The Heron is a juvenal who was bracing against a strong wind. The Egret picture shows the distinctive yellow feet nicely.

Joe H

Attachments

• Grey Herron.JPG
    Grey Herron.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 158
  • egret.JPG
    egret.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Here are few more pictures of the local bird life. A Greylag Goose, Little Grebe, and Spur-winged Plover.

Joe H

Attachments

• Greylag.JPG
    Greylag.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 151
  • grebe1.JPG
    grebe1.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 147
  • dec6a.JPG
    dec6a.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 151
Happy Holidays!

It’s time for my December update. The fall migration has slowed with the exception of duck sightings and the White Wagtails. While the lake near the office has maintained a large numbers of Coots, the few Common Pochards were joined by a large number of fellow travelers and by the latter part of the month they both numbered well over 100. Mallards have also started showing up more often towards the latter third of the month. Northern Shovelers are now also regularly seen in small numbers. The coots are now spread out over the lake and seem to be pairing up and chasing each other around in what I surmise are pre-mating or territorial displays. The White-tailed Wagtails are also acting unusual in that they are now occasionally seen on prominent perches singing or engaging in paired acrobatic flights. I have also seen a couple of flocks of the Wagtails numbering over 30 each and flying fairly high as if in migration. During December I have only seen three new birds (Yellow-legged Gull, Chiffchaff and Green Sandpiper) but otherwise this month’s list is not too different from November. Lastly, I saw an almost certain Common Cuckoo overhead one morning but not well enough to list it.

The complete bird list for the month follows:

- Little Grebe, Tachbaptus ruficollis, about half a dozen now seen on the lake near my office.

- Great Cormorant, Phalacrocorax carbo, only two seen.

- Pygmy Cormorant, Phalacrocorax pygmaeus, a good numbers still seen during the month, one group of about 20 seen all drying their wings in shore-side reeds.

- Gray Heron, Ardea cinerea, fewer sightings but at least one adult and one juvenile still seen around the shallow ponds.

- Little Egret, Egretta garzetta, very few seen this month.

- Greylag Goose, Anser anser, the same group was regularly seen.

- Common Pochard, Aythya ferina, by mid-month, there were well over a hundred seen on the lake near my office. On the 24th, only one male adult and a handful of females remained.

– Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos, the numbers have increased steadily to about 25 on the office lake.

- Gadwall, Anas strepera, a brief visit from four or five males and about 10 females around mid-month.

- Northern Shoveler, Anas clypeata, a group of about 10 or so arrived towards the end of the month and are still hanging around with the mallards.

- Eurasian Coot, Fulica atra. The most common bird on the office lake, approx 200 at times.

- Common Moorhen, Gallinula chloropus, a male and female seen along the reeds on the office lake, a few are seen regularly in the canals especially.

- Spur-winged Plover, Venellus spinosus, small numbers seen, appear to be pairing up for mating.

- Red-wattled Plover, Venellus indicus, small numbers seen a few times each week along drainage ditches and canals.

- Common Sandpiper, Actitis hypoleucos, few seen along lake shores and canals.

- Green Sandpiper, Tringa ochropus, one pair seen near Common Greenshanks and Spur-winged Plovers in the drainage ponds.

- Common Greenshank, Tringa nebularia, two winter adults in a shallow slew near a drainage pond again.

- Black-headed Gull, Larus ichthyaetus, large numbers of first year winter birds seen flying past the office.

- Slender-billed Gull, Larus genei, small numbers seen when compared to Black-headed.

- Yellow-legged Gull, Larus cachinnans, One adult seen washing on the office lake (being dive-bombed by two one-year Black-headed Gulls).

- Wood Pigeon, Columba palumbus, small numbers seen, mostly on open fields.

- Eurasian Collared-Dove, Streptopelia decaocto, large numbers seen daily.

- Feral Pigeon, large numbers seen everywhere.

- Pied Kingfisher, Ceryle rudis, a daily sighting in small numbers.

- White-throated Kingfisher, Haycyon smyrnensis, two sightings, and still the least common of the kingfishers seen here.

- Common Kingfisher, Alcedo atthis, one often seen near a the office and another regularly seen near a drainage canal near my trailer.

- Graceful Prinia, Prinia gracilis, small numbers seen in reeds along one of the ponds on Camp Victory and occasionally in dry scrub.

- Rook, Corvus frugilegus, fairly common and seen daily.

- Hooded Crow, Corvus cornix, seen daily but in less numbers than Rook.

- While Wagtail, Motacilla alba, small numbers seen along the canals and lake shores. A few large flocks seen in migration.

- White-cheeked Bulbul, Pycnonotus leucogenys, large numbers seen daily.

- Black Redstart, Phoenicurus ochruros, one adult male semirufus seen and two that did not have the “black bib,” probably the more common version seen further north and in Europe.

- Common Babbler, Turdoides caudatus, small numbers seen on Camp Victory.

- Iraqi Babbler, Turdoides altirostris, a few sightings but not as commonly seen as the Common Babbler.

- Crested Lark, Galerida cristata, three or four sigtings, always of single birds.

- Chiffchaff, Phylloscopus collybita, a small group of four or five seen eating insects from trees near the office lake. These birds seem to have a regular feeding route that takes them through these trees every morning; they were rarely seen in the afternoon and never in the evenings.

- House Sparrows continue to be one of the top two most common birds seen.

Fascinating stuff Joe, can't say I'll be rushing to join you, but am really enjoying your posts.

Keep your head down. Happy new year and good birding.

Ken.

Thanks Joe H for a excellent report-now at least i know what type of birds are found in Iraq-what ever the place ,cold ,hot or war birding helps to pass the time and refresh the mind too.Thanks again. :t:

Greetings and thank you for the kind comments,

I’ll still post a wrap-up of birds seen at the end of this month but I wanted to let interested readers know that Spring must be on the way here in Baghdad. Today I saw my first swallows, a pair of Barn Swallows, that were hanging around the dining hall. It still gets fairly cold on clear nights but the days seem to be warming. We’ve had a few days of heavy rain which has flooded some open fields resulting in shallow lakes of several acres. These have brought in a large number of gulls and a few new waders. I saw a pair of Pied Avocets and a Black-tailed Godwit mixed in with a group of five Black-winged Stilts yesterday (all three lifers for me). All in all a nice way to usher in Spring if one can’t be at home.

Take care,

Joe

Attachments

• Pied Avocet.JPG
    Pied Avocet.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 168
Just come across this thread. Great reading!
What's it like when you are out birding? I'd be constantly crapping myself someone was going to have a pop at me with an RPG!!!
Or do you have 'safe areas' that have controlled access that you can wander around quite freely?
Keep your bins up, but your head down Joe.

Greetings Bird Hard,

I'm getting ready to post another monthly update but I thought I's assure anyone concerned that I'm in no danger here. The Camp I work on is huge and I can freely wander around without concern. There are some risks, of course, but probably less than getting attacked by a bear back home in Alaska. I carry a 9mm here, but back home, I never wander around in the woods with anything smaller than a .44 magnum. I've only felt in danger during the air flights requried to get here, but I really hate flying. I'll post the January update in a day or two and then I should only have one more month here in Iraq.

Take care,

Joe H

Greetings!

Some interesting happenings occurred during this month. On 30 Dec 2005, 75 or so male Northern Shovelers appeared on our office lake along with a slightly greater number of females. By the 2nd or 3rd of January 2006 they were all gone. On the 5th of January a similar (and probably the same) sized flock returned to the lake. By the 8th they were gone again and didn’t return until the 26th. I’m not sure if this means they are at the southern limit of their migration and the flock is milling around the area, or if these are different flocks of about the same size passing through. I saw a pair of Mallards mating on the 25th, another sure sign of Spring. Gull numbers continue to increase. They are now numerous most of the day (more so in the mornings). On a small lake about a half mile from the office which is completely edged by reeds I saw over 400 gulls on the 5th. I’ve never seen more than one or two on this lake before and one can see three species regularly and the Yellow-legged Gull much less often. Great Cormorants also were seen in surprising numbers, mainly in large “V” formations fairly high overhead. A few were in fresh breeding plumage. On the 5th I saw a flock of about 110 flying North, followed by two smaller formations of about 30 each. By mid-month, heavy rains had flooded a dirt field of about 10 acres and in the newly formed shallow pond, I saw my first Black-winged Stilts, Pied Avocets and a Black-tailed Godwit mixed in with the numerous gulls there. A few days later I saw a White-tailed Plover, another lifer, picking along the newly formed “shore” line. I also made it to the big dump this month. There were easily thousands of gulls, and a good assortment of other birds. I saw my first jackdaw there and a couple of others that I couldn’t identify. January has proven to be very productive month in terms of numbers of species seen. If all goes well, February should be my last update to this string. The complete bird list for January month follows:

- Little Grebe, Tachbaptus ruficollis, about half a dozen now seen on the lake near my office.

- Great Cormorant, Phalacrocorax carbo, only three seen individually, otherwise, a few very large flocks (see above).

- Pygmy Cormorant, Phalacrocorax pygmaeus, a good numbers still seen during the month, one group of about 20 seen all drying their wings in shore-side reeds.

- Grey Heron, Ardea cinerea, fewer sightings but at least one adult and one juvenile still seen around the shallow ponds. Shortly after the big rains, five Grey Herons gathered on a flooded field, my single largest sighting of this bird while here.

- Night Heron, Nycticorax nycticorax, one seen during the evening along a canal for several nights (in the exact spot).

- Cattle Egret, Bubulcus ibis, one seen flying overhead near the Al Fah palace, one seen at the dump.

- Little Bittern, , a juvinal taking on adult plumage seen several days in the reeds along our lake’s edge.

- Greylag Goose, Anser anser, the same group was regularly seen.

- Common Pochard, Aythya ferina, only a couple dozen seem to be planning to stay for the winter.

– Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos, the numbers had increased but by month’s end only about five or six pair stayed on our office lake.

- Gadwall, Anas strepera, a few pairs stayed in the lake most of the month.

- Northern Shoveler, Anas clypeata, 75+ pair seen most of the month on our office lake.

- Eurasian Coot, Fulica atra. The most common bird on the office lake, approx 200 at times.

- Common Moorhen, Gallinula chloropus, a male and female seen along the reeds on the office lake, a few are seen regularly in the canals especially.

- Black-winged Stilt, Himantopus himantopus, five seen feeding in a recently flooded field at mid-month.

- Pied Avocet, Recurvirostra avosetta, a pair of adults seen in a recently flooded field at mid-month; another group of seven seen at month’s end.

- Spur-winged Plover, Venellus spinosus, rains have flooded most of their most common spots and far fewer were seen this month – stll a common sighting.

- Red-wattled Plover, Venellus indicus, only two seen early in the month along a drainage ditch; one seen with Spur-winged Plovers in a flooded pond during mid-month.

- White-tailed Plover, Vanellus leucurus, a single adult seen on a recently flooded field.

- Green Sandpiper, Tringa ochropus, one pair seen near Common Greenshanks and Spur-winged Plovers in the drainage ponds.

-Little Stint, Calidris minuta, a group about 20 dashing around our flooded field near a group of gulls and plovers.

- Common Greenshank, Tringa nebularia, two winter adults in a shallow slew near a drainage pond again.

- Black-tailed Godwit, Limosa limosa, one seen with Black-winged Stilts.

- Black Francoin, Francolinus francolinus, Two females seen along a drainage ditch in an abandoned field.

- Black-headed Gull, Larus ichthyaetus, large numbers of first year winter birds seen flying past the office.

- Slender-billed Gull, Larus genei, very small numbers seen when compared to Black-headed.

- Armenian Gull, Larus armenicus, one or two seen on the office lake; several on a flooded field.

- Yellow-legged Gull, Larus cachinnans, one seen with other gulls on a flooded field.

- Eurasian Collared-Dove, Streptopelia decaocto, large numbers seen daily.

- White-throated Kingfisher, Haycyon smyrnensis, two sightings, and still the least common of the kingfishers seen here.

- Common Kingfisher, Alcedo atthis, one often seen near a the office and another regularly seen near a drainage canal near my trailer.

- Crested Lark, only one or two seen all month.

- Barn Swallow, two seen near the dining hall.

- Graceful Prinia, Prinia gracilis, small numbers seen in reeds along one of the ponds on Camp Victory and occasionally in dry scrub.

- Jackdaw, a few seen at the dump.

- White Wagtail, Motacilla alba, small numbers seen along the canals and lake shores. A few large flocks seen in migration.

- Water Pipit, Anthus spinoletta, one seen feeding along a recently emptied water drainage ditch.

- Black Redstart, Phoenicurus ochruros, one or two adult male semirufus seen and two that did not have the “black bib,” probably immatures or the more common version seen further north and in Europe.

- Common Babbler, Turdoides caudatus, small numbers seen on Camp Victory.

- Iraqi Babbler, Turdoides alterostris, one only seen in the tall reeds along the office lake.

- Crested Lark, Galerida cristata, three or four sigtings, always of single birds.

- Chiffchaff, Phylloscopus collybita, a small group of four or five seen eating insects from trees near the office lake. These birds seem to have a regular feeding route that takes them through these trees every morning; they were rarely seen in the afternoon and never in the evenings.

- Spanish Sparrow, Passer hispaniolensis, a very few mixed in House Sparrows.

Joe H said:
One last shot. This is the Iraqi Babbler. The differences between the Iraqi and the Common Babbler, is that the Iraqi has a more chestnut breast, less streaking on the back, almost no streaking on the underparts, and darker legs than the Common Babbler. The calls are also quite different.

Take care,

Joe H

Wow! I wonder how many birders have even seen a photo of this species before. Thanks for that Joe

Greetings!

February will be the last monthly update to this entry as my time here in Iraq has come to an end. I’ve seen some great birds and very much appreciate the kind responses from members of this forum. I’m anxious to be headed home. I was a little unsure about monopolizing so much space on this web-site, but in the end I think it was worthwhile. It will be some time before Iraq is safe enough for normal tourism. Anyone interested in what birds can be seen in Iraq will find the best sources on the Internet, at site such as this one. Besides contributing to the growing knowledge base of birds in Iraq, I can say that this effort ended up being an excellent source of relaxation and diversion.

February started out warm but we had a significant cold-spell in the middle of the month. The cold, plus strong winds and some rain did slow down my birding. Shore bird sightings especially suffered this month. I had hoped to see a larger influx of passerines but the cold weather and rains probably killed any chance for an early spring return to this area. I did hear the first crickets and frogs about mid-month, and the insects are more active. The flooded fields are only now starting to dry out enough to expose sand bars which is starting to attract some shore birds in breading plumage. March would probably be a good month for sightings of shore birds here.

There were a lot of good birds seen over the past few months here in Baghdad. In all, I saw 64 different species over the winter here in Iraq, of which 48 were lifers. Thanks gain to all for your kind responses. My final month’s sightings for February are:

- Great Cormorant, Phalacrocorax carbo, only a handful seen individually, otherwise, a few flocks seen but not in the numbers seen during January.

- Pygmy Cormorant, Phalacrocorax pygmaeus, smaller numbers still seen during the month than earlier during the winter.

- Grey Heron, Ardea cinerea, with the rains and flooding of some fields, these are now easily seen on a daily basis. One large temporary lake usually has five or six.

- Night Heron, Nycticorax nycticorax, one seen at night along a lake shore.

- Cattle Egret, Bubulcus ibis, a group of four seen flying overhead.

- Greylag Goose, Anser anser, the same group was regularly seen. An Iraqi farmer brought a domestic goose to mate with the three but it was rejected and has been taking hand-outs from the G.I.s. He’s been nicknamed Aflak for an American television commercial featuring a talking duck.

- Common Pochard, Aythya ferina, only a half dozen remain on our office lake.

– Mallard, Anas platyrhynchos, the numbers had increased but by month’s end only about five or six pair stayed on our office lake.

- Gadwall, Anas strepera, a few pairs stayed in the lake most of the month.

- Northern Shoveler, Anas clypeata, only a few pair are seen regularly.

- Common Moorhen, Gallinula chloropus, fewer seen this month but a bird that can be found if one takes the time to look for them.

- Black-winged Stilt, Himantopus himantopus, a few more seen this month in the same flooded field as last month’s sighting.

- Pied Avocet, Recurvirostra avosetta, a small number seen during the month in a flooded field/temporary lake.

- Spotted Redshank, Tringa erythropus, one seen in winter plumage on the mud flats of a flooded field, later a group of three as seen in the same location.

- Common Redshank, a group of three seen feeding along the flooded fields where the Spotted Redshanks had been seen earlier.

- Kentish Plover, a small group (three or four) seen along the mud flats of a flooded field.

- Common Ringed Plover, one seen along with two Kentish Plovers on a flooded field.

- Spur-winged Plover, Venellus spinosus, still a common sighting.

- Red-wattled Plover, Venellus indicus, the numbers seen have risen sharply and they now are a regular if not daily bird. Their territorial calls can be heard into the night.

- White-tailed Plover, Vanellus leucurus, a single adult seen on a recently flooded field.

- Green Sandpiper, Tringa ochropus, a few seen along lake shors.

-Little Stint, Calidris minuta, a group about 20 dashing around our flooded field near a group of gulls and plovers.

- Common Greenshank, Tringa nebularia, two adults in a flooded field near stilts.

- Black-headed Gull, Larus ichthyaetus, large numbers, and most are starting to show their black heads now.

- Slender-billed Gull, Larus genei, very small numbers seen when compared to Black-headed.

- Armenian Gull, Larus armenicus, one or two seen on the office lake; several on a flooded field.

- Eurasian Collared-Dove, Streptopelia decaocto, large numbers seen daily; one pair seen mating in a date palm around the 10th of the month.

- Common Kingfisher, Alcedo atthis, fewer seen than in previous months.

- Crested Lark, a few seen, one pair was calling to each other extensively while I watched. This was the first time I was able to hear their full range of songs – very impressive.

- Barn Swallow, now a daily sighting in large numbers.

- White Wagtail, Motacilla alba, small numbers regularly seen along the canals and lake shores.

- Water Pipit, Anthus spinoletta, one seen feeding along a small pond, starting to take on its summer colors.

- Black Redstart, Phoenicurus ochruros, one or two adult male semirufus seen and two that did not have the “black bib,” probably immatures or the more common version seen further north and in Europe.

- Iraqi Babbler, Turdoides alterostris, a group of five seen in lake-side reeds.

- Chiffchaff, Phylloscopus collybita, a small number seen regularly.

Thanks so much, Joe, for your reports! They've been extremely interesting and made me feel a little closer to my nephew stationed just outside Baghdad. I'll miss reading them but am happy for you that you finally get to go home. Alaska's going to be quite a change for you this time of year. ;) Look forward to hearing about your birds there once again. :t:

Yeah, thanks Joe. We see Iraq mentioned everyday in the news so it's great to read something we can all relate to, from an area which seems so removed from our life.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back