• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

400mm for the Nikon D60- Recommendations (1 Viewer)

billsbirding

400mm for the Nikon D60- Recommendations Please

Hi,

I have a Nikon D60 and a Sigma 70-300mm lens and would like to upgrade to a 400mm lens, but as I am restricted for budget, Sigma seem to do the cheapest prices for me. I prefer to use Auto-focus to Manual-focus as it allows me to focus quickly on a bird, but I understand that the range of different lenses that can auto-focus with the D60 is restricted.

Could someone please recommend a cheap (under £1000), 400mm (fixed or zoom) lenses that will auto-focus with the Nikon D60.

Thanks in advance :t:

Hi,

I have a Nikon D60 and a Sigma 70-300mm lens and would like to upgrade to a 400mm lens, but as I am restricted for budget, Sigma seem to do the cheapest prices for me. I prefer to use Auto-focus to Manual-focus as it allows me to focus quickly on a bird, but I understand that the range of different lenses that can auto-focus with the D60 is restricted.

Could someone please recommend a cheap (under £1000), 400mm (fixed or zoom) lenses that will auto-focus with the Nikon D60.

Thanks in advance :t:

Nobody does an AFS 400mm prime lens that will autofocus with the D60 except the Nikon 400mm f2.8 AFS, there are several discontinued 400mm versions that will allow you to manual focus. Your only option for autofocus is either the Nikon 200-400 f4 AFS or one of the big Sigma zooms im afraid. The problem with the D60 is it does not have the body internal autofocus drive motor and connecting link that is necessary to drive the likes of Tamron and Tokina lenses.

Here's a web link to a list of lenses that are compatible with the Nikon D60.
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/category825_1.htm

nirofo.

nirofo.

Last edited:
Have you considered something like this, i think it would AF

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-c-dg-os-hsm-lens-nikon-fit/p1560209

If you want smaller and lighter there is the now discontinued 120-400 which wex have sometimes.

If ime honest though i think i would be looking at secondhand from some one like Wex and do a body and lens upgrade which should come in budget.
The sensor quality and auto focus speed has improved with later bodies,you could get a D7100 and 150-600 Sigma C.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back