• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin Birding by the Old Fat Man (2 Viewers)

August 15, 2016

Had some good success early this morning with solving a long running puzzle.

I decided this morning to make a trip over to the rice paddies where I had been seeing a number of herons, egrets and other wading birds but found the pathway I was using had new barbed wire across the entrance and deep cuts across the pathway which is now heavily overgrown. I went in anyway following after an elderly woman who was going in to burn some spirit offerings at an old grave. I managed to get back to the paddies to find they had been drained and obviously had not had anyone on the paths around the edges for quite some time. My guess is that the oil company plans on drilling there soon as they just finished a couple of other wells in the area and don't have anything in that corner yet.

Since there was no standing water anymore there were also no waders to be seen. I then decided to try something else. I have been trying all summer to get a visual on a very distinctive call which is quite common in the wetland areas. Unfortunately, although I have been able to get quite close, I have never been able to get them to leave the cover of the reeds and grasses. Therefore I switched my focus to getting a photo or audio of whatever was making the familiar call. Other than brief glimpses, I was still not able to see them, but did manage a video which I could strip the audio from. The ID forum was able to quickly come up with a suggestion of Zitting Cistola (Thanks Jeff Hopkins). Then knowing what to look for I was able to find a match in several audio files on the IBC. Another new tick for me and a mystery solved!

Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Aug 15, 2016 6:30 AM - 7:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 kilometer(s)
9 species

Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) 1
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops) 1
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 1
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 3
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 20
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 6
Zitting Cisticola (Cisticola juncidis) 6
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31097963

Wow, Flycatchers in August. Takes me back to 2011, where i had i my first Dark-sided Flycatcher in the midst of August summer chaos.
I'm afraid, your flycatcher is also Dark-sided. I had big confusion among Asian Brown, Dark-sided and Grey-streaked during my initial days in Shanghai.The level of difficulty increases with younger ones.
The best way to tell Grey-streaked is that the streaks are always distinguishable whereas in the Dark-sided, the streaks are not obvious, they are smudged and its more like they put on a dark vest.
Another ID feature is the malar region, it's also smudged in the Dark-sided making it less conspicuous while in the Grey-streaked it is more obvious.
Dark-sided Flycatcher's bill is very short among those confusing Brown flycatchers.
http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2700&Bird_Image_ID=64937

Hi Dev,

Confusing is right! In my defense, my pic matches with MacKinnon's Grey-streaked Flycatcher illustration and Tom Beeke's photo. Here are a few more pics and the bill looks larger to me than the OBC Dark-sided. Wing patterning when looking at the back, coloration of the lores and even the white neck bib still look more like the Grey-streaked when looking at OBC images. Your experience is enough for me to throw it on the ID forum and double check though. Either one is a new tick for me, so either is great!

Attachments

• Grey-Streaked Flycatcher.jpg
    Grey-Streaked Flycatcher.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Grey-Streaked Flycatcher (1).jpg
    Grey-Streaked Flycatcher (1).jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 38
I was able to distract myself while in the dentists chair yesterday by observing the Barn Swallow nest just outside the window and not more than 2m away. There were four juveniles in the nest being fed by at least four adults. (I actually observed that many adults present at the nest at one time) The dentist said it was the second brood this season. While I was there the adults managed to lure the juveniles out of the nest and into their first flight. Neat to see. Possibly two of the adults were from the first brood?

The first real cool front came through from the north yesterday with heavy low fast moving clouds and dropped the temperature down to 14 degrees this morning with clear blue skies. Hoping that it might have carried some early migrants south with it I went out. It turned out that it was more of a case of having encouraged the local population to head south. More notable than any new arrivals was what is now missing. The Oriental Reed Warblers, Zitting Cistola, Cuckoos, Brown Shrike, Little Grebe and Common Coots were all completely missing and even the Barn Swallow are noticeably decreasing in number. Didn't even pick up any Heron or Egret and this was an area that has reliably produced both all summer.

One new tick however with (4) White-winged Tern.

White-winged Tern (Chlidonias leucopterus) 4
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 12
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 4
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 10

Last edited:
Back from three days of no internet. An underground power cable blew and took some fiber lines with it. Not much to have been posted anyway except for new tics for Pacific Swifts and Red-rumped Swallow. Pretty sure they have been here but my increasing experience and familiarity with what is here brought them to my attention. The Pacific Swifts were spotted one morning about 06:00 while walking the dog and stood out as just looking different from the usual Barn Swallows and having a different flight and hunting pattern. There was a heavy fog which had driven them down very low and upon stopping to observe them more carefully the white rump patch stood out. They moved on in the migration once the fog lifted as by 12:00 they were no were to be found. The single Red-rumped was in with a small group of Barn Swallow at a different location and spotted as I crossed a bridge and it flew very close and lower than me. Also a Merlin has been seen a few days in a row early in the morning flying very low, below tree tops, and very rapidly and unpredictably. I have seen the remains of a couple of small bird kills which may have been from it.

Everything else remains very slow. I thought I heard some Tits yesterday morning, but they were back in the still dense foliage and I never got a look at them.

Last edited:
An interesting note from this morning about 06:30. While walking the dog through a nearby city park a Siberian Weasel crossed the path about 10 meters in front of me! It apparently has a favorite hunting spot in the village immediately adjacent into which it was headed as it had an intent air about it and it was ignoring people on the footpath. Amazingly to me, I was the only person that seemed to notice it. The dog didn't even notice it slip between us.

Tuesday, I managed to break the cycle of poor outings that I have had for this summer. Over the week-end I told my wife that the weather looked good for Tuesday and that I was going to either Yingkou Harbor or to Gedalou Reservoir. She objected telling me that there were “no birds” at this time of year. Come Tuesday she objected again but as I was getting my gear together to take the bus to Yingkou she told me to wait as “the children”, which is her favorite term for our mid thirties daughter and her husband, would take us to Gedalou as they were taking the morning off. After waiting until 10:30 we took off in the right general direction. We didn’t go to Gedalou though. Instead we went to a newly spruced up “tourism village”. When I spoke up they all again assured me that there were no birds at Gedalou. After getting dragged to the pond with domestic geese and ducks and waiting while they overpaid for grapes from a pick-your-own vinery I told them to drop me off at a bus stop for the #30 as I could still make Yingkou. That led to the round and round of “Do you still want to go to Gedalou?” - “Yes, either one will be fine” for at least a dozen times. (I knew I was not giving the answer they wanted, but, dammit, I did want to go. Finally, they did drop my wife and I off at Gedalou, which is only a about 5km from the daughter’s office. It was worth the struggle.

On first arriving there were only the (50) Barn Swallow and a handful of gulls, upon reaching the lake itself it picked up a little. The first thing were the Lesser Black-backed Gull (Heuglin's) and Vega Gull and a few Purple Heron which were cruising fairly low along the lakeshore. Fortunately I managed some really good shots of those as it later led to a good discussion on the ID forum. That is always good as when an ID I am not sure of generates discussion I take it as it really was tricky not just me being dense. In a short time I picked up Little Grebe and Black-headed Gull. It always seems a strange name to me in that it is rare for me to actually see a black hood on any of these.

Just as the wife was wanting to leave all that changed when I finally located some shrimp ponds that had been recently harvested and drained. The first was obscured behind some trees which still have heavy foliage, but as my wife panicked I went down the bank and disappeared into the trees to get a clear line of sight. I only found Great White Egret and Black-headed Gull with a few Common Magpie but it was a nice change from what I have been getting. When I came back up the wife had found another location with several drained pond with paths making them accessible.

This was the jackpot. Just as we arrived one of the three wheeled, hit-and-miss engine, no muffler farm vehicles pop-pop-popped its way along the bank of one of the ponds and the skies filled with egrets and gulls. I spent quite some time working into a position to get some decent ID photos as the Intermediate Egret and Little Egret were especially jumpy after all that noise. While I was doing that the wife was chatting up the owners of the ponds.

I finally gave it up for the day as the humidity was climbing and the haze was approaching more of a fog. The final straw though was that the PLA Air Force decided it was time for low level flight practice and started passing over every few minutes. This would cause another eruption of birds each time and they usually would re-settle on a different pond requiring me to attempt to approach the now spooked birds again. All in all a good day.

Attachments

• NT4A5858.jpg
    NT4A5858.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Vega Gull.jpg
    Vega Gull.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Heuglin's Gull.jpg
    Heuglin's Gull.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 41
  • Great White Egret (2).jpg
    Great White Egret (2).jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Little Egret & Great White Egret.jpg
    Little Egret & Great White Egret.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 42
More photos

Some more shots from Tuesday and my final list

Gedalou Reservoir, Panjin, Dawa County, Liaoning, CN, Liaoning, CN
Sep 13, 2016 12:15 PM - 2:45 PM
3.0 kilometer(s)
12 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 11
Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea) 16
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea) 4
Great Egret (Ardea alba) 25
Intermediate Egret (Mesophoyx intermedia) 30
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) 40
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus) 72
Herring Gull (Vega) (Larus argentatus vegae) 14
Lesser Black-backed Gull (Heuglin's) (Larus fuscus heuglini) 10
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 6
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 40
White Wagtail (Chinese) (Motacilla alba leucopsis) 6

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31581732

Attachments

• Intermediate Egret.jpg
    Intermediate Egret.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Grey Heron (4).jpg
    Grey Heron (4).jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Black-Headed Gull (1).jpg
    Black-Headed Gull (1).jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 29
  • White Wagtail 'Amur' (leucopsis).jpg
    White Wagtail 'Amur' (leucopsis).jpg
    117 KB · Views: 43
  • Little Egret w-Gulls.jpg
    Little Egret w-Gulls.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
October 2, 2016

It has started to cool down and along with that the slowly increasing migration. An outing yesterday only brought a few birds of note, but was a nice day for an outing.

Early on I was teased by numerous Warbler that I was unable to identify any closer than probable Sylviidae family. Only brief glimpses as they were being very shy and there is still plenty of leaf cover in which they could hide and scold me.

In the process of trying to get a viewing angle on some of those little teases I tried another area nearby and having no success paused and looked up to see a Eurasian Kestrel sitting above me on a snag watching me with curiosity and with a second individual hovering over the adjacent open area. I managed a few good shots, but that big eye of the 400mm lens made her uncomfortable and she left.

I decided to move on over to the only small wetland area still undeveloped in the immediate area and immediately heard a Little Grebe whistling and when I managed to get a break in the reeds I caught the Grebe harassing two Common Coot. I have noticed before that the Little Grebe seem to get quite territorial this time of year. Seems a little odd since they will soon be migrating out of the area, so I suppose that they are able to navigate back to the same spot that they are staking out now as being theirs.

It wasn't until I started processing my photos that I realized that one of the Common Coot had a leg flag. I can't bring out any detail, but it was right leg and white or silver.

The only other birds of note where the sky being thick with Swallow flying very high and in and out of the low hanging clouds. I am sure there were many more than the 80 that I counted as those were just the lower ones who were drinking and bathing on the fly in the nearby water. There seemed to be a slow constant movement southward with more arriving steadily from the north to replace those leaving.

Oct 2, 2016 2:00 PM - 5:30 AM
3.0 kilometer(s)
9 species

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) 6
Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) 2
Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 2
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 9
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 80
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 4
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 40

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31865064

Attachments

• Eurasian Kestrel (1).jpg
    Eurasian Kestrel (1).jpg
    127 KB · Views: 36
  • Eurasian Kestrel (2).jpg
    Eurasian Kestrel (2).jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Little Grebe.jpg
    Little Grebe.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Little Grebe (1).jpg
    Little Grebe (1).jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 32
More photos

The Common Coot photos and a large toad I encountered. (I'm easily distracted 8-P).

Another item of mention is that I was standing at the ceiling to floor window overlooking our patio a few days ago when a Siberian Weasel came through about 4 meters away! It gave me an unconcerned glance as it went through heading further into the complex. An area only about 500 meters from here where a small village was bulldozed about ten years ago was recently cleared for expansion of a private school. Shortly after being initially bulldozed there was a freeze on further development in Dawa county and in the meantime it had become overgrown and was serving as great habitat for wildlife in general. I knew there were Little and Siberian Weasel in the nearby wetlands and apparently all the renewed drainage and development has them looking for shelter and prey.

Attachments

• Common Coot.jpg
    Common Coot.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Common Coot (1).jpg
    Common Coot (1).jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Common Coot (2).jpg
    Common Coot (2).jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 30
  • NT4A5970.jpg
    NT4A5970.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 35
  • NT4A6156.jpg
    NT4A6156.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 25
October 11, 2016

Things have picked up in the last week here. I am starting to see the expected migrants both passing through and some of the winter residents reappearing.

Taking a break from the baseball playoffs (I am an American after all), I went out fairly late Tuesday afternoon and was very pleased to see increasing numbers of the migrants passing through and the expected winter residents starting to reappear. I only had about an hour before the light rapidly started failing as the sun started making its increasingly early departure and I spent most of that time trying to ferret out what finally proved to be 14 Pallas's Leaf Warbler. They were being as reclusive as usual and I believe most were 1st winter as their coronal stripe was not as evident as usual. Partially due to the poor lighting also, I am sure.

Mixed in that first half hour were a couple of Light-vented Bulbul that were calling and chasing each other and one Great-spotted Woodpecker.

Just as I was ready to give it up a noisy flock of 75 White-Cheeked Starling poured in through the trees where I was standing. Startled as much as I was they immediately moved about 20 meters away to feed on some Sumac seed heads. I managed to get closer and stay hidden getting some good shots through the trees.

They finally noticed me and flew again disappearing behind a large mound of fill dirt left over from when a planned development project was halted by the new construction freeze about 10 years ago. There is a large open undeveloped field just beyond there and I decided to check on what I might see from the top of the aprox. 20 meter tall mound. Good idea as it turned out as in addition to my original flock, now sitting on power lines, were two more flocks of at least the same size wheeling over the area. The next 15 minutes or so as the sun faded yielded 9 Common Magpie, 2 Rock Dove, and a large flock of at least 100 Tree Sparrow all of which were in the open field below me.

Oct 11, 2016 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM
2.0 kilometer(s)
7 species

Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 1
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 9
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 2
Pallas's Leaf Warbler (Phylloscopus proregulus) 14
White-cheeked Starling (Spodiopsar cineraceus) 200
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 110 Primarily one large flock of 100

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S32003704

Attachments

• White-Cheeked Starling.jpg
    White-Cheeked Starling.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 47
  • White-Cheeked Starling (1).jpg
    White-Cheeked Starling (1).jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 43
  • White-Cheeked Starling (2).jpg
    White-Cheeked Starling (2).jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Great-Spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    Great-Spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 44
October 12, 2016

Today proved that much of birding is dependent upon the luck of just being in the right place at the right time. I decided this morning to return to the patch where I found all the White-cheeked Starling just as they were roosting for the evening yesterday. I reached the same little hillock by about 07:30 only to find only 5 White-cheeked Starling. Apparently the rest had headed on south at first light. The only other thing of note in the field below me was some Common Magpie tormenting a white cat that had been hunting in the overgrown field. They were actually coming down to the ground and pecking at the cat.

The day was not a bust however. True to my theory, a single dead tree snag proved to take up most of my time and provide an entertaining mornings outing. On my way into the area, while trying to get a good photo of 2 Little Bunting I noticed a pair of Common Magpie observing me from the said snag. The entertainment really started as I was passing by the snag again on my way back home. Hearing a woodpecker's warning call several times, I moved cautiously back up to the area of the snag and was rewarded with a Eurasian Kestrel that a Great-spotted Woodpecker was scolding. Both were in the snag. Just as I spotted them another E. Kestrel joined the first at its perch. The Great-spotted Woodpecker decided he was out numbered and left the area. Shortly thereafter, while I was working into a better position and snapping shots a couple of Azure-winged Magpie started harassing them and finally the Kestrel decided the view from the perch wasn't worth it and flew off. The A-w Magpie assumed the top perch the E. Kestrel had been using only to have the G-s WP aggressively return and displace them. Within minutes he was in turn pushed out by a very aggressive Hoopoe. The action wasn't over though as almost immediately the displaced Azure-winged Magpie which had moved to some nearby Sumac were swarmed by a flock of 30 White-cheeked Starling. The Magpie left the area only to shortly return to the area in a flock of 30 of their friends to reclaim the snag.

Another item of note is that at this point some days will have no Barn Swallow while other days will be like today with a steady flow of birds from north to south. Food is getting scarce for them, especially north of here I am sure as for the last week temps have hovered at just above zero at sunrise.

Oct 12, 2016 7:00 AM - 9:30 AM
2.0 kilometer(s)
11 species

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) 1
Gray-headed Woodpecker (Picus canus) 1
Eurasian Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) 2
Azure-winged Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) 33
Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) 13
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 45
Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) 13
White-cheeked Starling (Spodiopsar cineraceus) 30
Little Bunting (Emberiza pusilla) 2
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 20

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S32004152

Attachments

• Great-Spotted Woodpecker (1).jpg
    Great-Spotted Woodpecker (1).jpg
    143 KB · Views: 40
  • Eurasian Kestrel.jpg
    Eurasian Kestrel.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Eurasian Kestrel (1).jpg
    Eurasian Kestrel (1).jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Azure-Winged Magpie (3).jpg
    Azure-Winged Magpie (3).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Hoopoe.jpg
    Hoopoe.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 30
Hi Owen,

Post #333, Photo 1, Red-billed Starling and Photo2 - White-cheeked Starlings above and Red-billed Starlings are just below them.
Over the weekend, I was tracking a very fat and dark bird in the undergrowth in the hopes of Black-breasted Thrush but just as you know it was a White-Cheeked Starling.

Post #333, Photo 1, Red-billed Starling and Photo2 - White-cheeked Starlings above and Red-billed Starlings are just below them.

I think they're White-cheeked rather than Red-billed. In particular, the wing pattern doesn't fit Red-billed (no white in primaries). White-cheeked have a variable amount of white on the head, although I've never seen one this extreme. e.g. compare this bird (which is White-cheeked despite the file name): http://www.moonbeampublishing.com/images/redbilledstarling_cp_ch_5_22_13_A_A61T7448.jpg

I have seen a lot of variation in the amount of white on the head of White-cheeked Starlings here also. I am quite confident of these being White-cheeked. For one thing this far north would be 800km or so too far north for Red-billed.

I have seen a lot of variation in the amount of white on the head of White-cheeked Starlings here also. I am quite confident of these being White-cheeked. For one thing this far north would be 800km or so too far north for Red-billed.

Not necessarily too far, Tom had couple of these earlier this year.

October 14, 2016

I tagged along with family as they went to Honghaitan (Red Beach). I find the whole Red Beach thing rather uninspiring but the locals are convinced it is awe inspiring before they even get there. I've mentioned before that it is a private enterprise which does have the positive of protecting about 25km of coastal tidal flats right at the mouth of the Shuantaizi river. Boardwalks allow you to go about a km out over the tidal flats at several places along the main roadway. At least it keeps a separation between people and the birds and the area clean by Chinese standards. Still quite a lot of litter visible as people are freely tossing their trash over the side of the boardwalks. The crowds and worse yet the piped in mood music are enough to ruin it for me.

Since the main purpose was for everyone else to view the Red "Beach", I only managed three short birding walks at different spots. The first one was the most frustrating not do to the tide being fully out and hence most of the waders being lost in the haze in the distance, but because immediately upon starting down the boardwalk I spotted fresh tracks which indicated there had been a Stork or Crane there. These were about the size of my hand or a little larger. Checking the tide tables it was probably about sunrise just as the tide started out and there were no people around. The only other thing yielded in this 20 minutes was 28 Saunder's Gull that were mostly just sitting about resting and 3 Barn Swallow.

Moving on to the next area proved a bit more productive. Another boardwalk out over the tidal flat. 19 more Saunder's Gull, as well as 32 Eurasian Curlew. There were some other peeps out just far enough to not be identifiable except for 30 Kentish Plover that were dashing about near the Curlew and thousands of crab that the gulls were foraging. I did notice an odd behavior in that occasionally, on some sort of cue that I could not figure out, all the crab inside a maybe 10 meter radius would suddenly pop out of their holes, dash about madly and then dive back into their holes. Quite comical to observe.

We made a final stop at the bridge at the south entrance and from there I picked up 33 Black-tailed Gull.

Birding would be much better if one were there shortly after the tide was starting out or before it reached high tide as that would push the waders in close enough to view.

Attachments

• NT4A6510.jpg
    NT4A6510.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Saunder's Gull.jpg
    Saunder's Gull.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Saunder's Gull (2).jpg
    Saunder's Gull (2).jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Eurasian Curlew.jpg
    Eurasian Curlew.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Black-tailed Gull.jpg
    Black-tailed Gull.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back