• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anthropomorphisation:Who are the chavs of the bird world ? (1 Viewer)

Mutter

Here's another for you to discuss.

Who is the chav of the bird world?

Is it the agressive, loud and bling starling or the brown brigade of the house sparrows - always bickering and hogging the food.

Who gets your vote and why?

andy

Starlings, because they are loud, fly about in large flocks and are always ready to create mayhem just so they can get their beaks on the last sultanna .

LOL I think it would have to be the Starling.....which IS a real shame as they are such wonderful characters :'D ........unlike their human counterparts who I could quite happily see exterminated from this planet!!! :t:

Gill

I would certainly go for gulls.I once had a holiday at Robin Hood's Bay when young gulls were fledging.A very noisy but wonderful holiday tho'.
maurice
P.S. Corvids would be my 2nd. choice.

Hi Having to visit Hastings on a regular basis I have to say "Herring Gulls" they are noisy, adept at raiding bin bags,crapping all over anyones car, and in general making a positive nuisance of themselves at all hours of the day and night,they make Starlings and sparrows appear positively house trained,

Yours PeterK

Ruth Daniel said:
Well now I know what one is (thanks Gill) I'll say Magpies for me!!!

Bonjour to all my friends!

Glad I wasn't the only 'ignorant' one here... living in foreign parts, I seem to be lagging in my comprehension of modern slang! (o)<

Well, for me it's a toss-up between the Magpies and the Starlings. Certainly NOT the dear little Sparrows! If anything, their constant cheeping and hustling reminds me of my infant school days! :'D

Warmest wishes!

Linda Beaumont said:
Bonjour to all my friends!

Glad I wasn't the only 'ignorant' one here... living in foreign parts, I seem to be lagging in my comprehension of modern slang! (o)<
It's certainly not Northern slang is it? I'd never heard of "chav" and still don't know what it's short for??
Anybody translate??? (no pun intended Linda!!! lol)

Cathy H said:
Hi all,

Sorry to be a pain, but what is a chav?

Puzzled ;)

They go by the name of 'neds' in some parts of scotland (and maybe england). Think burbary caps, sports trousers and tops, or skinny jeans, timberland shoes or incapable-of-getting-dirty white trainers without laces. Quite unmistakeable really! Oh and don't forget the colourful language. If you can't spot the white trainers first, you should hear them from a fair distance away. ;)

Does that help?!

turkish van said:
They go by the name of 'neds' in some parts of scotland (and maybe england). Think burbary caps, sports trousers and tops, or skinny jeans, timberland shoes or incapable-of-getting-dirty white trainers without laces. Quite unmistakeable really! Oh and don't forget the colourful language. If you can't spot the white trainers first, you should hear them from a fair distance away. ;)

Does that help?!
Well not really as I'm wearing white trainers now!!!!!!!!!! :-O
But yes I think I know what you mean. 3:)

Ruth Daniel said:
Well not really as I'm wearing white trainers now!!!!!!!!!! :-O
But yes I think I know what you mean. 3:)

No offence meant! White trainers are just one part of the uniform. :bounce:

They are also known as Townies or Pikeys. Obscene hand/finger gestures, language are also part of their appearance. Very thick, but cheap, gold necklaces, bracelets, sovereign rings, huge hooped earrings. Think Vicki Pollard from Little Britain .....

Kits said:
They are also known as Townies or Pikeys. Obscene hand/finger gestures, language are also part of their appearance. Very thick, but cheap, gold necklaces, bracelets, sovereign rings, huge hooped earrings. Think Vicki Pollard from Little Britain .....
Oh dear never heard of Townies,Pikeys,Little Britain or Vicki Pollard?
Though the hand gestures bit sounds like my husband when he's driving!!!!! 3:)

hi all,

No matter what we see as the chav of the bird world, they are always better than there human counterparts.

ant

ps. I dont think chavs and birders would go well together.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back