• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (1 Viewer)

Thanks folks.............will be working this weekend, so hopefully if i get any down time Ill pull up the photos that ive posted on here in the gallery, and try sketching from them

I feel like ive cheated a bit here, Decided to have a bit of down time and sketch some bits from the Computer screen before going out tomorrow with woody. I have a hugh stock of Avo pictures, so picked out a few to get some practice.
The first one Im happy with, the second one - not too sure what happened there, the third page is a lot looser and went down quiet fast onto the paper.....I think i prefer the last one best of all.

aDSCN0603.jpg aDSCN0604.jpg aDSCN0605.jpg

yes! these are getting better and more lively all the time - practice is always helpful, and it doesn't matter where your practice comes from. The problem in number 2 is perhaps the way the head joins the body. A good thing to practice is to learn the bird's skeleton, and practice drawing those, then draw the outline of the bird around. If you've got access to any of John Busby's drawing birds, first or second edition are both good for it, you'll see what I mean.
Looking forward to seeing the practice paying off with the real thing!

It only works when the're on the screen, not moving about.... need to throw the lines in quicker when out in the field, add the detail in after methinks.

It only works when the're on the screen, not moving about.... need to throw the lines in quicker when out in the field, add the detail in after methinks.
. . . and on that very note . . .
Andrew, I mentioned earlier in this thread about looking for the natural contour lines that avocets have. I've taken the liberty of making a couple of drawings which, I hope, will go a small way towards illustrating this idea. Also, there's something relating back to Nick's suggestion about neck position and skelebobs. I hope this isn't out of place.
The first is a short progression, minimal lines and then, at last, if there's time - a bit of tone to round the drawing.
The second and third are looking at contours and the last suggests where the legs originate from - when looking at your birds tomorrow, see if you can imagine the hip position (as shown) and imagine the legs eminating from there.

Attachments

• AvProg.jpg
    AvProg.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 149
  • Av1.jpg
    Av1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Av2.jpg
    Av2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Av3.jpg
    Av3.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 156
Thanks Tim, Always open to advice, Will think about body shape tomorrow, even if I produce lines as you have in page one..

We don't have Avocets in Finland... Not fair... These are great, the landing ones on previous page are my faves!

Elina

This weekend was a bit fraught, Having been put in the position of having to buy a New Camera, (the 'ole faithful' died last weekend), and I had intended to get some practice from my photos on the screen - didnt get done...
So here is a little somthing from today, Using a Graphite stick, Have gone back to trying to get the basic shapes down onto paper as quickly as possible..And I know its gone small again, but im sure when I get to know whats happening, Ill start to use the estate again....Little detail but quick and purposeful lines this time..

a.jpg

www.holedstonepictures.webeden.co.uk

Last edited:
Small and with little detail they may be, but they say so much, there are groupings of species, shadows showing the form - and the godwit labelled as such has got all the angles spot on. Great!

Tried to get somthing sketched from the screen this afternoon, Selected the picture - A Juvenile Avocet, Using a Graphite stick and Watercolour pencils decided to add a touch of colour as it still wore its brown, then I think it all went abit astray when I added the Blue water, turning it into a strange watercolour...........
So the lesson today is - stick with the original plan and dont do somthing that you havnt tried before, untill you know that you are confident with the results....

a1 002.jpg

And another one with the Graphite Stick......

a1 003.jpg

I still need to learn to do some landscapes before my next Holls.....

So the lesson today is - stick with the original plan and dont do somthing that you havnt tried before, untill you know that you are confident with the results....

I'll disagree with this! I like the cool blues against the warm brown bird, and jumping in with both feet is the way to do it. And as some of the artists on this forum amply illustrate, dissatisfaction is a great motivator to make another attempt at a piece.

Appologies for the lack of 'Wildlife' this weekend, Im desperate to make a start on Landscapes, The avos have all but gone, and its very quiet on the scrapes.........If anything, its a little out of proportion, but its a hugh leap from my first attempt, which was composted soon after
The Picture.
2.jpg

The 'Office'
1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back