• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Horned Owl drawing (4 Viewers)

John Richard

Greetings, here is a pencil drawing that I did a few years ago. I'm trying so see if I can learn how to post it. Hope that it works and that people will enjoy it. Thanks for looking. John

Attachments

• Great_Horned_Owl medium.jpg
    Great_Horned_Owl medium.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 623
Roosterville

Thank you for the warm welcome. Methods I use are lots of time spent looking, the photos I take, and moving past my many mistakes. The color reproduction in the photo of this painting is not very accurate but it will give enough to get the general idea. Thanks again, John

Attachments

• Roosterville_1a.jpg
    Roosterville_1a.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 312
Another serious talent on the forum...

These are most accomplished John, a wonderfully rendered pencil owl followed by an utterly lovely painting. Look forward to seeing more of your work...

I thought that I should give some more details about the owl drawing. I photographed the owl, it was with the raptor rehabilitaion center (University of Minnesota). It was sitting on a womans arm at the time. I drew the White Pine branch and needles after the owl was finshed, from a branch that was in front of me. I use a hard smooth paper, 4H, 2H, HB pencils and a blending stick to move the graphite around on the paper. I also use an eraser to lift graphite off the paper then work back into it with pencil and the blending sticks untill I get the effect I'm looking for. I try not to rough up the papers surface early in the drawing as this causes blemishes. That's all for now, John

Attachments

• Cass_1a.jpg
    Cass_1a.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 208
Wow!..........I love that owl - truly beautiful - what a gift........ =D

Chosun

For long, long time.............. the earth - she cry....
now, the children - they cry too....
All terribly, terribly sad...

North Oaks

I find that Oak trees are wonderful to paint, the whitetail seals the deal. I'm working on a Varied Thrush next, in Northwestern Montana. JR

Attachments

• North_Oaks_1a.jpg
    North_Oaks_1a.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 216
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back