• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (6 Viewers)

Unfortunately, the Animagus form chooses you (and you guys think you know Harry Potter). Its your personality! Way I see it, when you love birds so much, it IS part of your being! But which bird? Am I eagle-like enough? Feedback on my species!

I dont think im eagle like enough.I would be some species that can be pushed around and shy sometimes, but can be active and mischevious behind peoples eyes. id be a deceptive bird :smoke: ;)

Im thinking some corvid species, possibly a stellers jay, magpie of some species, or a green jay. I might even be a sparrow, but im not that timid ;)

Yesterday I went to the Salton Sea... awesome spot! Got two lifers - Wood Stork and Yellow-footed Gull. There were THOUSANDS of birds there - terns, shorebirds, gulls, pelicans, etc. The volume of birds was overwhelming. Other neat stuff I saw included Burrowing Owls, Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes, Clark's Grebe, Gambel's Quail, Common Ground-Dove, Black Skimmer, etc... on the way back we got caught in some awesome traffic as well....:storm:

neil

sweet! YFGU, RNPH, CLGR ,BUOW would all be lifers for me! (green with envy)

and many thanks to cole, i am now thoroughly prepared on my twitching and birding trip in Southeastern AZ for Berylinne Hummingbird and Crescent-chested Warbler. Cant stop thinking of the oodles of lifers!
just think: Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher. Trogon. Olive Warbler. Huttons Vireo.drool!

sweet! YFGU, RNPH, CLGR ,BUOW would all be lifers for me! (green with envy)

and many thanks to cole, i am now thoroughly prepared on my twitching and birding trip in Southeastern AZ for Berylinne Hummingbird and Crescent-chested Warbler. Cant stop thinking of the oodles of lifers!
just think: Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher. Trogon. Olive Warbler. Huttons Vireo.drool!

Good luck! I just remember something really weird. At the wedding in VT in the bathroom there was a painting titled "Thank you for not destryoing our home" with a picture of Smokey the Bear. Then under that there were a bunch of typical eastern songbirds, like RW blackbird etc, then one species that nobody would have heard about, Canada Warbler, and then one totally random, out of the blue, species - Olive Warbler! I couldn't figure it out, but there it was, right in the middle of the collage, its drawing labelled correctly. Weird.

Glad to hear Salton is good again. At one point each they'd find tons of a certain species dead there (like Ruddy Ducks, grebes, pelicans). I don't know when or how they fixed that up, but it's all good now.

As for the animagus thing... I guess I'd either be some type of gull or the hawk-owl (observant, but good in action). I always thought RB gulls are one of the most personable and relate-to-able species. I don't know if that's connected or not though.

actually, i have deciphered what my animagus would be: (and much too my dissapointment, it isnt a bird :( ) Its a: (scroll down

btw jsut for entertainment as yall are scrolling down ;) , yall need to congratulate the guy who got us to page 50

Raccon... it fits perfectly, actually

sweet, i checked it out! Great Job! :t: :clap: i was thinking of making me a blog a coupl'a weeks ago, but i dont have good enough pics!

I'd love to, but I don't get out with the camera enough, and there are too many blogs! At least I know who's updating this one! :-O

Good luck with it Brent!

Hello everyone, I'm a "young" birder, too. I'm 18 and heading off to college this fall. I plan to major in zoology with an emphasis on ornithology at Humboldt State :t: (my minor will be creative writing).

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm a "young" birder, too. I'm 18 and heading off to college this fall. I plan to major in zoology with an emphasis on ornithology at Humboldt State :t: (my minor will be creative writing).

Welcome John, wecome to our "little" thread and Birdforum! Always glad to hear about people working toward professions in this field. :t:

Sometime this moring I hit 1,000 posts. I think it was in the ID help section. I had to help 4 other people and update my quiz before I could even get back here, so sorry for the "late" heads up! ;)

B :)

Last edited:

Hi John and welcome. Are you from the Humboldt area? I stayed in the dorms there for a week a few summers ago. It's an amazing place and it's got some great birds.

Congrats on reaching 1000 Brendan, it must have taken awhile. Don't you a job, or some sort of hobby to occupy your time though ;) ?

Chiricahuas in 4 hours, 35 minutes.

Hi John and welcome. Are you from the Humboldt area? I stayed in the dorms there for a week a few summers ago. It's an amazing place and it's got some great birds.

I'm actually from the suburbs outside Los Angeles. I'm going to Glendale Community College for two years to complete my lower division work, then I'll transfer to Humboldt in 2009. I can't wait!

Congrats on reaching 1000 Brendan, it must have taken awhile. Don't you a job, or some sort of hobby to occupy your time though ;) ?

Chiricahuas in 4 hours, 35 minutes.

Thanks. I helped somebody move stuff out of his flooded basement today, but otherwise I'm quite unemployed.

Maybe you will discover the reason why some poeple see a drab CCWA and others a bright one! I think it's very veeeeery mysterious! 3:)

Blogs, blogs, blogs, everywhere! :-D

I'm very naughty, I haven't updated mine in eons. :-( (I have an excellent excuse, though, mwahaha). My USB cable still missin' :'(

I think the reason is quite obvious. There is more than one staying there, one is brighter than the other. btw ive created my blog with much thanks to birdphotography for helping me upload pictures. here it is:

www.BPbirder.blogspot.com

That was a joke, Storm-Petrel. Somebody on one of the AZ listservs actually wondered that out loud. Hmmm there's a fledgling and one adult that seems to change colors. How strange... ;)

Have fun with the blog. I think I'll refrain from making one. There are too many!!

I'm finally back from ringing camp, unfortunately no rarities ;-).

But here some photos:

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/a.jpg
spotted flycatcher

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/b.jpg
juv. blackcap

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/c.jpg
and here's why it's juv. :)

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/d.jpg
young european robin

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/e.jpg
it doesn't want to fly away

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/f.jpg
lesser withethroat

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/g.jpg
juv. great spotted woodpecker

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/h.jpg
lesser spotted woodpecker

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/i.jpg
moulting collared flycatcher (female)

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/j.jpg
blue tit

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/k.jpg
strange colored great tit

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/l.jpg
young redstar

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/m.jpg
crested tit

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/n.jpg
juv. penduline tit

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/o.jpg
sedge warbler

www.przyroda.zhp.info/grafa/sbf/p.jpg
great grey shrike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back