• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

i just discovered the surfbirds website! lotsa fun and i entered myself in the YB world life list contest. Im 30-something place 8-P but oh well. and i saw a familiar person on it: jyothi ray. heh heh, im rite behind you jyothi! ;) jk lol

Actually raptors are only Hawks and Falcon families, not including owls or shrikes, but all these birds fit in the birds of prey category, along with the african Secretary Bird.

This is the official defenition of raptor:

Any bird of prey that uses its feet to capture prey; for example the owls, falcons, and buteos. The term is not taxonomical.

so when i looked it up, it does actually include the owls, but not the vultures as they dont catch their prey with their feet. since it is not an actual group used as scientific classification, the old world raptors that are related to the eagles are not raptors, and the owls are raptors even though not closely related to the eagles at all

Brewer's Blackbird and Western Grebe are latest lifers. I searched thoroughly for the White-Tailed Ptarmigan again yesterday, and it eludes me still (officially biggest nemesis). Currently in Glacier NP in Montana. In addition to hiking, today we have to restock at a Wal-Mart. Keep your fingers crossed for me, I plan to pick up Deathly Hallows if they have it!! Soon we'll head for the Pacific Northwest.

ha im halfway thru with the book. man, i can tell you, its unexpected turns keep u on the edge of your seat. and its really dark, but has lotsa lotsa action.

but really really bad news guys...my dad isnt taking me to portaL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the heck!!!! rite now im trying to convince my mom to take me... but things arent looking so brite. but when theres a will theres a way! wish me luck with convincing my mom. and i wont be on birdforum for a while, im leaving for ruidoso until sometime in august .

i got the 5th book at 12 midnight and finished it at 5 in the morning. i can be a fast reader but this is the last book and im savoring every word. I am in one (*)^&*&%$^%*() bad mood. Im not going to see the warbler and im not going to the hotel on the way that has teh gila woodpecker and hooded oriole and cassins kingbird and all the nightbirds. Ive decided to just not go to ruidoso because everything i wanted to go there for is screwed. Ill go up with my dad because hes going to rocky mountain NP so i mite get WTPT and other alpine and coniferous birds. maybe my mom will take me back to Bitter Lake NWR?

okay it turns out i am going to ruidoso today adn i mite go to portal and chiricahuas. In ruidoso im not sure if ill get any lifers, but i do love the birds there: acorn woodpeckers, northern flickers, turkey, graces warbler, raven...

hmmm... someone on the forum was rather rude to me just a second ago... oh well, i guess i learned my lesson

Last edited:
i got the 5th book at 12 midnight and finished it at 5 in the morning. i can be a fast reader but this is the last book and im savoring every word. I am in one (*)^&*&%$^%*() bad mood. Im not going to see the warbler and im not going to the hotel on the way that has teh gila woodpecker and hooded oriole and cassins kingbird and all the nightbirds. Ive decided to just not go to ruidoso because everything i wanted to go there for is screwed. Ill go up with my dad because hes going to rocky mountain NP so i mite get WTPT and other alpine and coniferous birds. maybe my mom will take me back to Bitter Lake NWR?

Hold on I'm confused. You finished the book in five hours but you are trying to save every word of it?

And I'm very confused about your trip. Whatever, whenever, have fun.

I got back from Arizona yesterday, we had a pretty awesome trip. Our species total was about 127, not bad for mid-July.

The trip got off to a good start with a life herp (Green Toad) near Rodeo. We camped in the Chiricahuas and headed for Paradise Junction the next morning. Almost right after I got out of the car I noticed a hummingbird up in the trees. I got on it and it turned out to be a male White-eared, my second one ever (first time in the ABA). Mexican Chickadees were all over, but the Crescent-chested Warbler did not appear. After that we headed to Barfoot, and got Short-tailed Hawk.

Since we didn't want to spend two full days walking around Paradise Junction, we headed for Sycamore Canyon. On the way we stopped at Willcox, Patagonia, and Kino Springs. Willcox had a good assortment of shorebirds, the highlight at Patagonia was a nice Violet-crowned Hummingbird, and Kino Springs had Tropical Kingbirds, Common Ground-Doves, and a Gray Hawk nest. When we stopped in Nogales for supplies, a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck came over the parking lot. We hiked into Sycamore Canyon the next morning. The highlight was a prolonged look at a pair of Montezuma Quail from only 20 feet away.

I'm off to Colorado tomorrow for some backpacking, my goal is to find a Ptarmigan, but I'd also like to see Rosy-Finches on the breeding grounds.

My dad is taking off from work for a week in the end of august, and he said that we can go anywhere in the US birding (except for maybe alaska or hawaii). I also dont want to go to Arizona since I will probably be going next year. Were do you all recommend going?

My dad is taking off from work for a week in the end of august, and he said that we can go anywhere in the US birding (except for maybe alaska or hawaii). I also dont want to go to Arizona since I will probably be going next year. Were do you all recommend going?

I would defenitely recommend the rio-grande valley. It has loads and loads of birds, plus loads and loads of bird species. But if you going in the migration season or winter, i would reccomend the texas coast.Also, if you cant go to texas, Go to Colorado or oregon, for great western and rocky mounatain birding. for alpine birds go to colorado. So in short i would reccomend colorado, texas, or oregon. i have always wanted to go birding in north dakota though, but i dont know much about it

I got back from Arizona yesterday, we had a pretty awesome trip. Our species total was about 127, not bad for mid-July.

The trip got off to a good start with a life herp (Green Toad) near Rodeo. We camped in the Chiricahuas and headed for Paradise Junction the next morning. Almost right after I got out of the car I noticed a hummingbird up in the trees. I got on it and it turned out to be a male White-eared, my second one ever (first time in the ABA). Mexican Chickadees were all over, but the Crescent-chested Warbler did not appear. After that we headed to Barfoot, and got Short-tailed Hawk.

Since we didn't want to spend two full days walking around Paradise Junction, we headed for Sycamore Canyon. On the way we stopped at Willcox, Patagonia, and Kino Springs. Willcox had a good assortment of shorebirds, the highlight at Patagonia was a nice Violet-crowned Hummingbird, and Kino Springs had Tropical Kingbirds, Common Ground-Doves, and a Gray Hawk nest. When we stopped in Nogales for supplies, a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck came over the parking lot. We hiked into Sycamore Canyon the next morning. The highlight was a prolonged look at a pair of Montezuma Quail from only 20 feet away.

I'm off to Colorado tomorrow for some backpacking, my goal is to find a Ptarmigan, but I'd also like to see Rosy-Finches on the breeding grounds.

Are you going to go to rocky mountain NP? thats where im going in colorado. btw in the ponderosa forest (lincoln NF) i got two lifers, Red Crossbill and Rufous Hummer.

Finally I got to have a nice full day with the book to meself, as me Dad was at work. Finished it. No important spoilers here, but I think I may have dissed the anti-Potter folks, who were rolling their eyes at the true lovers who went to the midnight parties (yours truly NOT included), into shock. Look at post number 43! http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=91883&page=2 :)

Le GASP!! I have beaten some one life-list wise! (Sorry Brent) New birds include Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Vaux's Swift, Spotted Towhee, Red-breasted Sapsucker, and (all on ferry to VI) GW Gull, NW Crow, Mew Gull, Tufted Puffin, Black Oystercatcher, Brandt's and Pelagic Cormorants, and Marbled Murrelet!! 14 to go for year goal! Also finished Deathly Hallows in under 6 hours (no midnight party for me). Anyone else read it? Going on a seabirdi...I mean whale-watching tour later today. Maybe see some more pacific avians too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back