• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can neighbors complain? (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

I live in a subdivision. I have a bird station which has a bure feeder and water feeder in my backyard. My mom told me some old lady that lives behind our house was aiming a camera where the birds eat on our property and looked angry. Most likely its due to when she moved she would take her dogs on our backyard and they would take a shit there but she never picked it up and I saw her a few times, saw me, looked shocked and left. My brother confronted her a few years ago and then got a fence a few weeks after that. So I am thinking maybe this lady is mad still since he yelled at her. What is the best she can complain about my bird feeder? That it causes many birds to go on her trees and they shit on her property?

Your best bet is to call your county ordinance dept and see if there are any rules against hanging bird feeders. I seriously doubt there is. Or if you have a Home owners Assoc covering your home you can ask them. Good luck

My mom told me some old lady that lives behind our house was aiming a camera where the birds eat on our property and looked angry.

My brother confronted her a few years ago and then got a fence a few weeks after that.

Build a higher wall :)

Last edited:
The only cause for genuine complaint would be on health grounds, it's important to keep feeding areas clean so as not to attract rats.

A

The only cause for genuine complaint would be on health grounds, it's important to keep feeding areas clean so as not to attract rats.

A

I believe some British councils ban feeders on council properties for precisely that reason. They may do it for private by bye-law as well, though I'm not sure.

Cheers

In parts of Canada, there is a significant risk of attracting black bears. Rats are generally not seen as a problem unless they are attractive as food for the bears. Seriously, European rats do not fare well in the outdoors here because most of our natural predator population is intact.

Can neighbours complain

My back garden is 30ft x 30ft with a 6 ft fence along my boundary. The back looks onto allotments and my neighbours are all bird and wildlife lovers. I have one bird table and numerous feeding stations and I only see the odd rat due to the allotments behind but I know the council around my area are quite lenient to using feeders asking as there are no pest problems.:t:

A couple of years ago I rented a ground floor flat in central London for use during the working week. There was a small garden area and the block backed onto a public open space.

I put up a couple of feeders which were the anti squirrel type to deter vermin and larger birds etc. Within a few weeks I received a letter from the managing agents requesting that I remove the feeders as other residents from the upper floors claimed that they were attracting pigeons which they considered a pest as they perched on their balconies. I disputed this vigorously as the pigeons were already there and in fact were nesting on the roof of the building and others nearby. However I had to admit defeat when I was threatened with termination of my lease if I did not comply, even though there was nothing specific in there about bird feeders (they used a clause about other residents right to equal enjoyment of the property or some such)! The management company did not seem interested in the fact that upstairs residents were continually dropping fag ends and other litter from their balconies into MY garden even though I threatened them with the bill for cleaning. So it appears that man made rubbish is ok but nature has no place in the big city. For the record in the 10 months that I spent there (I terminated my lease early and moved out due to the aggro) I recorded great, blue, coal and long tailed tits, redpoll, goldfinch, greenfinch, house sparrow, rose ringed parakeet, blackcap, chiffchaff, jackdaw, collared dove, woodpigeon (ok a few feral pigeons too) all in a 20foot x10 foot patio garden with a few small shrubs and a hawthorn tree less than 1o minutes walk from st Pancras station.

Unfortunately Paul,a lot of the population is like this now and could'nt give a stuff about nature.Its a real shame as you seemed to have attracted a diverse range of birdlife to your feeders.
Some people are born to moan im afraid.

Unfortunately Paul,a lot of the population is like this now and could'nt give a stuff about nature.Its a real shame as you seemed to have attracted a diverse range of birdlife to your feeders.
Some people are born to moan im afraid.

You're right. And I am sure when these pepole are gone they start arguing with their maker.

yes it was a shame. I do understand some peoples concerns in respect to rats, especially in urban areas but they are probably there anyway (we are never more than 5m from a rat at any given time anywhere in the UK).

I have several feeders in my garden at my main home in Leicester and also attract a wide variety of birds. Recently there was a rat that started sniffing around under the feeding station. However, once the neighbour's cat had half heartedly chased it (the birds simply fly into the nearest tree are quite safe from it) it soon disappeared never to be seen again.

Rats and other vermin will only stay of there is a plentiful food supply and relative safety from predators. Having a regular sweep up around the feeding station to clear up any spilt food is one way of reducing the likelihood of attracting them. Generally in most suburbs there is usually enough moggies around to keep them from becoming a major problem.

The squirrels however are a different issue. My feeders are all of the squirrel proof cage variety but it does not stop them trying. Recently they have taken to digging up all my spring bulbs. I was looking forward to a lovely display of snowdrops, crocuses, daffodils etc but have a feeling that the garden may well be bereft of colour come spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back