Thread: Nikon EDG
View Single Post
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 16:13   #4
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
I have an opportunity to purchase a used Nikon EDG 8X42 1st version in great shape at a decent price but would like opinions from seasoned bino users as to their optical performance against the EDG II or the MHG's. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Joe J.

I think you are wise to not purchase it.

Optically there was nothing wrong with the Nikon EDG 1st version. It was an excellent binocular from that perspective.

I had a 10x32 EDG 1st Version. I was the original owner and registered it with Nikon. After 4 years usage the exterior cover started to bubble and come loose and the corrugated rubber sleeve surrounding the focus wheel stretched and interfered with the focusing.

I contacted Nikon under my warranty and returned it to them as instructed and they replaced it with the new 10x32 version which I have been using for several years without incident. By that time the 1st version had been discontinued.

In your case, since Nikon's warranty isn't transferable as far as I know, it is doubtful if you would get the 1st Rate Warranty service that I got from them.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation