• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desert Wheatear or Wheatear (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
I took this photo on a beach in western Crete, Greece a couple of weeks ago , the black bar on the outer tail feathers seems a bit deep and the eyestripe to thick to be a common Wheatear am I looking at a Desert wheatear ? thanks in advance

Attachments

• wheatear f_1_3.jpg
    wheatear f_1_3.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 340
For me too Isabelline is a strong candidate although some female wheatears can appear as sandy - however, they don't usually show such defined black loral areas and the white supercillium usually extends behind the eye.

Don't know if you saw it in flight - Isabellines have wholly white underwings whereas wheatears don't.

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks Andrew , my book showed a small f.Desert photo and the black tail on her did not look as long as on the male , so assumed a Desert as the photo of Isabelline looked too plump , must get a new book !! Isabelline nicer as have not seen one before .Colin

thanks all , sorry about delay in reply , not on anything so good as broadband here dialup 34.6Kbps,

Isabelline for me, possibly a male judging by the prominent dark loral stripe. The supercilium, whitish in front of the eye and buffish behind, the broad pale fringes to the coverts, the isolated dark alula, the bird's upright stance and stout bill and the overall sandy colouration all point to Isabelline.

Rgds

Greg

isaballine wheatear for me for reasons already stated. Remember to take it to consideration the time of year. Spring northerns should look quite different. It's autumn type northerns that cause confusion.

Yes, two or three ,this frontal one , and some moving away cannot remember the flight details though

Attachments

• wheatear.bmp
    307.4 KB · Views: 213
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back