• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics Raven 78mm AN (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

If I could, I'd like to throw a few cents worth in. As you may know, I recently purchased an E.O. Raven with the 20x - 60x eyepiece and have used it quite a lot since I purchased it (which has only been a months). Since I live in Wisconsin, I have only been able to use it during the winter months, so the info I'm giving about my experiences really only comes from my using it during cold months (I have used on -5 degree days to 30 degree days) both cloudy and dismal and clear and sunny. First, yeah, the zoom on the eyepiece really stinks. For someone who wears eyeglasses (as I do) as you zoom in, you need to move your eye closer to the eyepiece to keep the subject in view. But on anything past 40x, you’re REALLY pressing your glasses against the eyepiece. And so I Really do not use the zoom past 40X. Second, as I would zoom in, the clarity and brightness really seemed to start diminishing. Until at 60x, unless you were looking dead center through the eyepiece, through a much smaller lens opening, (and actually at 60x I took off my glasses to press my eye socket to the eyepiece or I wouldn’t see anything) you wouldn’t see anything. Having said all of that, for a beginner scope (and I would say this is definitely a beginner scope), this is a great scope. For the money, I couldn’t have bought a better scope to learn with. At 20x to 30x, it is actually a great scope. The clarity and brightness are really pretty good. I’m not saying it compares to a Zeiss or Swarovski, but then I didn’t pay $900 to $2200 either. As I get better at my scoping techniques and understand what a scope is used for versus a set of binoculars, I will certainly upgrade in time. But as a beginner scope, this is definitely one to think about.

Also, I would not say a scope is an upgrade from as set of binoculars, really. As far as I see it, they both play equal roles and are really quite different in their uses. I use my Pentax DCF binoculars (8x42) just as much as ever, even after I received my scope. It’s all a matter of what your doing. Sorry this was so long. Thanks for you patience.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back