• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

A report of a mega seen from Sa Roca, a Western Reef Heron, an all dark individual and the real deal this time, not one of the hybrid ones that have been knocking around the Island recently. I have seen photos and it's a real stunner. Hope it sticks for anyone wanting to see it. Mike

I don't remember seeing Pallid swift that far inland before Mike. Perhaps they do venture there, I really don't know, but I have rarely seen them far from the coast. Maybe others have? Mike

Here's a synopsis of some of the last few years:
In 2010 19 October
In 2011 12 October
In 2012 23 October
In 2013 18 October
In 2015 early November.

Thanks Martin & Mike, guess I'll have to add dunnock to the list of birds to plan another off-season trip around (although after my last off-peak trip in Feb 2015, when we had gales, torrential rain and even snow, I might have difficulty persuading my wife to agree).

Stew

Dunnocks

Birds seen included:

...Nightingales, Cetti and Fantailed Warblers, Dunnock and Purple Swamphen...

Oooooo.... dunnock! Still need it for my Mallorca list - was it a one-off, or will I be able to look for it when I'm back in September?

Stew

Hi Stew
Sorry for delay as I have just got back.
I am not so sure now about the dunnock as it was not a good view in the undergrowth however had the right head patterns etc..possible young Cetti.
I checked the previous BBR reports and the bird normally not seen this late.

Best place I have found them is in the Roman Ruins in Alcudia in the winter

Cheers

Mike Swiss

Last edited:
Hi Stew
Sorry for delay as I have just got back.
I am not so sure now about the dunnock as it was not a good view in the undergrowth however had the right head patterns etc..possible young Cetti.
I checked the previous BBR reports and the bird normally not seen this late.

Best place I have found them is in the Roman Ruins in Alcudia in the winter

Cheers

Mike Swiss

Thanks Mike - definitely looks like I'll have to be at my persuasive best & negotiate a Winter visit!

Stew

Hi Stew, October and November are usually the best months of the year weather wise, really sunny and warm with lots of sunshine and sharp light. The spring however can be unpredictable, cold and wet, as you found out! Not a bad idea to come at that time, hope you make it one day. Mike

The western reef heron

Finally this weekend after several months with hybrids around the island, we have got a genuine Western Reef Heron, it is flying around the fileds of the information center of s'Albufera N.P. and from time to time the heron lands at in front of Sa Roca hide to feed.
Yesterday it was a very nice onservation and I was very happy because it is a lifer for me!
Regards
Pep

Attachments

• M241_Agro_Esculls.jpg
    M241_Agro_Esculls.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 112
Finally this weekend after several months with hybrids around the island, we have got a genuine Western Reef Heron, it is flying around the fileds of the information center of s'Albufera N.P. and from time to time the heron lands at in front of Sa Roca hide to feed.
Yesterday it was a very nice onservation and I was very happy because it is a lifer for me!
Regards
Pep

Brill!!

Great photo and great lifer!

We had a really good day yesterday at the Albufera:

During the last two days, the Western Reef heron (Egretta gularis) has been seen from Sa Roca at midday time. We managed to get there around 3pm and it flew in half an hour latter. It stood quite close to us for 5 minutes and then left south. A few Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) were constantly coming and going, carrying out some nest material with them each time. After a while, the Spoon Bill (Platalea leucorodia) flew down and the Western Reef heron reappeared. Three wonderful species in the same area at the same time, fantastic!

We saw a total of 34 species during the three hours we sat there, including a Hoopoe, 5 Marbled ducks, Cattle Egret, Squacco Heron, Black crowned Night heron, Purple Swanphen and the local Golden eagle.

Regards
Pep

WOW!

ID help

I am compiling a trip report but would value some help with a couple of images. the first one we thought were dunlin but might they be curlew sandpiper?

The second one we are fairly sure is a green sand as we saw the rump when it took off, but it 's not what it is in the guide!!

Attachments

• Curlew sandpipers (4).JPG
    Curlew sandpipers (4).JPG
    798.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Green sandpiper (1).JPG
    Green sandpiper (1).JPG
    682.8 KB · Views: 127
Hi Derek. I think your first birds are Curlew sandpipers. The back is uniform as opposed to the whitish stripes shown on Dunlin. Also the bill seems too decurved even for Dunlin with longer bills.
Not sure about the second bird though, it seems to have a white patch on the side of the breast indicating a Common sandpiper. Other features fit Green sandpiper. Perhaps others can comment. Mike

Hi Derek. I think your first birds are Curlew sandpipers. The back is uniform as opposed to the whitish stripes shown on Dunlin. Also the bill seems too decurved even for Dunlin with longer bills.
Not sure about the second bird though, it seems to have a white patch on the side of the breast indicating a Common sandpiper. Other features fit Green sandpiper. Perhaps others can comment. Mike

Agree with you Mike. Curlew Sand has the white patch at the base of the bill which is in indicator in that plumage I think. Common Sand has the white patch so agree there too.
Andy

There were a lot of common sand about that day, this bird was different but had that white patch which muddied the waters so to speak. My pal saw it flying off when everything spooked and noted a rump patch and flight pattern unlike common. Thanks for the help report still in process of being written and illustrated

Vultures etc

We caught the bus to the Mirador de Colomer today and walked up to the tower. Honey Buzzards ... Black Vultures ... and an Egyptian Vulture. Also met Mike ... nice to catch up with him after following this thread each time we come to Mallorca!

Hi Pancho44, nice to meet you too. It was a great morning but it got very busy later with far too many people trying to get up to the tower.
We finished the day with 17 Honey Buzzard, 1 Black Kite, 4 Black vultures and an Egyptian Vulture. (Sorry I shouted so loud, I just got very excited at seeing this very scarce bird!)
Possibly a distant Bonelli's eagle but too far away to be sure.
On to Albufera and we saw one more Honey Buzzard over the marsh.
A great day. Mike

And at least two Glossy Ibis and a Spoonbill seen from Sa Roca hide as well, also at least two Balearic warblers in song near the tower, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back