• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lomas de Lachay (Peru) accom RFI (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Anyone know of any (budget) places to stay near this site (near Lima, Peru)? Hoping for somewhere nearer than Lima, presumably either in Huacho or Huaral. Camping not an option.

cheers,

Larry

There's heaps of accommodation in Huaral, I just turned up mid evening both times I stayed, two different hospedaje, both comfortable enough and 30 soles for a single.
Access the town from the Panamericana, not the back entrance that starts near the entrance for the Cactus Canastero site, this road was a hideous 10mph-maximum dust bowl the whole way into town when I made the mistake of doing it at the beginning of February.
Also bear in mind that because of the flooding there was no way to drive into the Canastero valley, and the amount of water that was present at the start of the track meant I couldn't have walked it either, even if I had allowed the time (which I hadn't because I thought I'd be able to drive . . . )

Thanks Steve, that's really useful. By the Cactus Canastero site, do you mean taking the road that skirts the southern edge of Lomas de Lachay to enter from the back (rather than the main entrance road off the highway)? I'd like to know where a good spot for this species is, if you've time to describe it. We'll be with a four year old, so want to minimise the length of the walk from where a taxi can drop us!

cheers, Larry

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, that's really useful. By the Cactus Canastero site, do you mean taking the road that skirts the southern edge of Lomas de Lachay to enter from the back (rather than the main entrance road off the highway)? I'd like to know where a good spot for this species is, if you've time to describe it. We'll be with a four year old, so want to minimise the length of the walk from where a taxi can drop us!

cheers, Larry

I mean the site that is "behind" the main reserve, accessed by turning inland at the large roundabout just south of the reserve entrance off the Panamericana. I believe that previously it was possible to drive the valley from this road but on my first visit in early January the access had been washed away and on my second it was several feet wide of running water. Quite frustrating considering you can look down into the valley from the main path round the reserve. Presumably with more time (and not with a 4-yr-old) it would be possible to access it this way. Take plenty of water and food with you as there was none available on site. Also bear in mind that official opening isn't until 7am, although it was 30-40 minutes after this that they actually got round to doing so! While you're in the area take the road that heads to the sea from the roundabout mentioned above - there were a few gulls on the beach (including the only Grey Gulls of the trip) and several Peruvian Thick-knees beside the (sandy) road. Any other gen required feel free to ask (here or PM).

I mean the site that is "behind" the main reserve, accessed by turning inland at the large roundabout just south of the reserve entrance off the Panamericana. I believe that previously it was possible to drive the valley from this road but on my first visit in early January the access had been washed away and on my second it was several feet wide of running water. Quite frustrating considering you can look down into the valley from the main path round the reserve. Presumably with more time (and not with a 4-yr-old) it would be possible to access it this way. Take plenty of water and food with you as there was none available on site. Also bear in mind that official opening isn't until 7am, although it was 30-40 minutes after this that they actually got round to doing so! While you're in the area take the road that heads to the sea from the roundabout mentioned above - there were a few gulls on the beach (including the only Grey Gulls of the trip) and several Peruvian Thick-knees beside the (sandy) road. Any other gen required feel free to ask (here or PM).

thanks again Steve. I'll doubtless be bothering you for Peru gen with a PM too :t:

Larry I would check eBird for Cactus Canastero sites, probably some more. It is a fair ways from the road into that valley I would not walk it, hope for a repaired rd or walk it from above in the reserve but no with a 4yr old. I had Thick knees just near the roundabout described as well, on the way to the backside/Cactus Canastero site, perhaps just 100-200m from the roundabout. Seems a somewhat reliable spot for them.

Larry I would check eBird for Cactus Canastero sites, probably some more. It is a fair ways from the road into that valley I would not walk it, hope for a repaired rd or walk it from above in the reserve but no with a 4yr old. I had Thick knees just near the roundabout described as well, on the way to the backside/Cactus Canastero site, perhaps just 100-200m from the roundabout. Seems a somewhat reliable spot for them.

thanks Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back