• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recently fledged Thrush? Not got a clue myself (1 Viewer)

Yelvertoft

Rabbit Fan
Hello,

Sorry for the blurred pictures, but they were a bit of hurried before it flew away. Can't find anything in the books that fit the description. Area is open heathland near large gardens with a few small ponds thrown in for good measure.

Speckling on breast makes me think thrush, but head marking doesn't fit, not does beak shape, at least not to my mind.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Duncan.

Attachments

• Resized DSC00915.JPG
    Resized DSC00915.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Resized DSC00919.JPG
    Resized DSC00919.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 137
Ok, so it's a Linnet. Never (knowingly) seen one before. Seems to fit description/pictures of juvenille, was looking at the pictures of adult which doesn't match.

Thanks guys for the quick response, much appreciated.

Regards,

Duncan.

Possibly, without digging out a field guide, could it be a female Linnet?

We seem to have agreed on the species...just need to suss out the age/sex! LOL

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Possibly, without digging out a field guide, could it be a female Linnet?

We seem to have agreed on the species...just need to suss out the age/sex! LOL

GILL

If image taken now in May, would be ad female.
JanJ

JANJ said:
If image taken now in May, would be ad female.
JanJ

Image was taken about 3 hours ago!

No reddish patches, so not a male. My ID books show adult female as having a distinctly greyish head, which this one doesn't seem to have. It may just be that I was expecting a clearer distinction between head and body. Is the head/body divide a subtle one?

Thanks for the advice.

Duncan.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back