• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Extremadura (1 Viewer)

Bird festivals in Extremadura, March 2013

March 1,2,3: FIO international bird-festival Monfragüe, Villareal de San Carlos.
Presentations, excursions, exhibitions, photo-contest, optics etc.
See: www.fioextremadura.com

March 15,16,17: Bird festival organized by the Parador Hotel in Guadalupe.
Details to be published asap.

Festival offer of Discover-Extremadura: if you book during a festival one of our holiday-apartments, for 3 nights at a minimum, we give you 10% off on the prices for accommodation and also on the prices of our activities, like birdwatching-excursions.
Go to www.discover-extremadura.com

Dutch birder - Henk

bird sightings febr 4 – 10, 2013

Bearded Reedling, Arrocampo, febr 6
Lesser Kestrel ( 2x), Wryneck: Valle de Jerte, febr 7
Citril Finch (about 10), Bullfinch (many), Piornal, febr 8
Litlle Gull (hydrocoloeus minutes) 2x, Casas de Don Antonio, febr 7
Stone Curlew (40 – 50 x), Santa Amalia, febr 8
Citril Finch, Bullfinch (many), Piornal, febr 8
Night Heron, Purple Swamp-hen, Whiskered Tern (chlidonias hybridus), Mérida

Many sightings of Egyptian Vulture and Black Kite.

We see that Godwits, Golden Plovers, Lapwings and Cranes are gathering in large groups,
preparing their migration to the North. Also Spoonbills make small groups. Cormorants and Greylegs and also Song Thrushes are already migrating.

beste wishes, Dutch Birder - henk

Last edited:
Bird festivals in Extremadura, March 2013

As promised, hereby program of the Bird Festival, organized by the Parador Hotel in Guadalupe (15,16,17th of March): see attachment.
If you are going to visit the Festival, please send an email to me (Henk) or to Isabel Martin Fabre of the reception of the hotel: [email protected]

Don't forget the FIO international Bird Fair in Monfragüe, March 1,2,3. See earlier in this Forum.

You can profit of 10% off the prices, if you book a holiday apartment at our place in Berzocana
during one of those Festivals.

Attachments

• Programa I Birdfair.doc
    1.7 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Great list of birds you have there Henk. Interesting find the leach's storm-petrel and the waxwing.

Just to clarify a point here, these are not the sightings of Henk, but reports of birds found in Extremadura by members of the Caceres Forum.

I would hate to see the stoic work of Javier Prieta and Sergio Mayordomo et al being usurped and credited to another.

Of course Steve, to my shame I admit that I sometimes forget to give credits to the,
what I call "local" birders here, who are really super-enthousiastic birders.
I make an abstract of their observations and mix their sightings with mine.
To me it seems less efficient to direct the English-reading public to the Cáceres-forum,
mainly because of the Spanish bird-names and sometimes diffuse locations.

My main goal is to promote Extremadura as a bird paradise!
I hope you agree!
henk

Last edited:
bird sightings till febr 20th 2013

To begin with: I make a selection of the what enthousiastic fellow- birders in the
Cáceres province see and report to our Forum "GOCE".
I add to those my own observations, mainly from the zone of Las Villuercas - Sierra Brava - reservoirs of Cubilar and Ruecas.

There we go:
Pallid Harrier should still be present between Madrigalejo and Vegas Altas. But there are also reports of farmers, using gas-canons to chase the ""Eagles" away.
Rough-legged Buzzard: rumour, should been seen in the same area.

Penduline Tit (and Little Bittern, Purple Swamp-Hen), Badajóz, Puente Viejo, febr 18.
Great Spotted Cuckoo, San Vincente de Alcantara, febr 19.
Lesser Kestrel, many observations, e.g. Sierra Brava, febr. 19
Red-rumped Swallow, Monfragüe, febr 19
Whiskered Tern, Mérida, Presa de Montijo, febr 20

Egyptian Vultures: not only in the Western part (a small group stays here in wintertime), now all over the place.
Counting on a sleeping place of Red Kites in Oliva de Plansencia:
108 ex in Poplar trees, but in 2005 some 180 ex.

many thanks to all local birders!
henk

Last edited:
Hi Steve:

Nice to hear you .You are absulutely right but in the other hand I like to see the sightings of Extremadura and Gredos area in the birdforum. I think this is good for the promotion of the area.
I will be working in the stand of Tourism department in the fair and I like to say everybody is invited.

All the best

Ricardo Montero

bird sightings till March 1th, 2013

To begin with, my observations of last week.
Passing Arrocampo, febr 21th, the most exciting was the Osprey,
sitting in a electricity pole (from the nucleair power plant in
Almaráz ) and the 2 Black-shouldered Kites, hoovering.
Those Kites are the whole year present, my record is 4
different ex on one excursions day.
I never forget to greet
"my" Little Owl there, and also never leave before a sight of a Cisticola.

On Febr 27th my first Short-toed Eagle of this year, in Las Villuercas, near Berzocana. The days after, they seemed to be everywhere.

The Osprey is confirmed by other birders of the Cáceres birdforum.
From their observations the following extract:
Scops Owl is back, many recordings, but the Cranes are leaving in
small groups.
Nice sightings from the Alange reservoir:
Alpine Swift and Alpine Accentor (Febr 28), Red-rumped Swallow, Golden Eagle (6 ex), Spanish Imperial Eagle (2 ex), Short-toed Eagle, Eagle Owl etc, all on Febr 27th.

All the best - hurry to join the FIO-Birdfair in Monfragüe (till March 3rd) and don't forget the Birdfair of the Parador Hotel in Guadalupe (March 15,16,17).

Dutch birder -henk

Impression of the birdfair FIO Monfragüe, March 1,2,3

Stands with optics, info stands of SEO/birdlife, Birding in Extremadura and other regions in Spain, photo contest, presentations and workshops of well known photographers and birdwatchers, free routes through the National Park etc. etc. Helas, only a few foreingners came, so for the future needs the title "international" birdfair to get more and new impulses.
With collegue guiding companies we did some tours along the observation points (miradores) in the park. See photos for an impression.

With "my" groups we saw many Griffon Vultures, some Black Vultures and 3 Egyptian Vultures. Furthermore Black Kite (my first sighting this year), Red Kite, at least 4 Bonelli's Eagles, Black Storks, Raven and a lot more. At one "mirador" all days were Fish-otters present, playing with each other. On Saturday we were a few seconds late to see the 2 Spanish Imperial Eagles at the mirador "Portilla del Tietar".

For more interesting bird-news from Extremadura see:
birds-extremadura.bogspot.com

all the best

Attachments

• FIOexcursie1.jpg
    FIOexcursie1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 85
  • FIOexcursie2.jpg
    FIOexcursie2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 86
  • FIOexcursie3.jpg
    FIOexcursie3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hi Henk.

I had two black kites at Mérida in poor conditions on Thursday 28th, the only ones of the trip. Also a black-shouldered kite there.

Unfortunately no sign of the overwintering pallid harrier at Vegas Altas on two visits on 24th and 26th, although the fact that both were afternoon visits may not have helped. Thanks for the tip on that.

I drove many of the tracks at Vegas Altas and there were numbers of cranes on the 24th but they had all gone by the 26th when I was surprised to see groups of 13, 30, 2 and 1 great bustard on the rice fields on both sides of the road.

By Friday all the cranes that had been migrating in large numbers until Wednesday appeared to have vanished, although a photo I took on Friday of a black stork at Peñafalcon shows a string of them passing un-noticed on the background.

Unfortunately, while I was at Monfrague all day on Friday, I didn't have time to call into the bird fair because I was trying to make the most of my last day in full sunshine after two days of heavy cloud.

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_8603-web.jpg
    IMG_8603-web.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_8417-web.jpg
    IMG_8417-web.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_8792-web.jpg
    IMG_8792-web.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
few sightings

sorry, lightning struck the main antenna of the internet connection in our village, so I can't spend much time behind the PC, only to read mail on a remote spot where I have connection.

Well, every day we see Booted Eagles and Black Kites coming over,
so, for the rest we are satisfied.

all the best.

I am visiting NW Extremadura near Hoyos for the first time in a fortnight. Any tips abaout sites to visit for characteristic birds e.g. bustards would be greatly appreciated. Peter

We have just returned from a week in Extremadura. The tour was arranged by www.norfolkbirding.com and led by Nick Moran with the help of Ricardo Montero. Ricardo's family own the house that we stayed in at Cabezabellosa, a mountain village 30 minutes from Monfrague National Park in the province of Caceres. The house can be rented as a unit or as rooms and was very comfortable. If you wish to book rooms contact Ricardo who has posted further up this thread.

We had an excellent trip. The weather was sunny and only on one day was it rather windy. We had great views of all the expected Raptors, Black, Egyptian and Griffon Vultures, Golden, Spanish Imperial and Bonelli's Eagle . Kites various. Saw both
Bustards. Had views of the Eagle Owl. Saw both Common and Lesser Kestrel. Loads of Rollers and Bee-eaters. Wonderful views of Blue throat, Collared Pratincoles, Black and Black-eared Wheatears and all three Woodpeckers.
Could go on but won't. The group list was 154 seen and heard. We had 32 new birds .
If you wish to join a group then I highly recommend Norfolk birding to arrange it or if you prefer to make your own arrangements then I would suggest you contact Ricardo who can provide excellent accommodation and excellent guiding.
Birding does not get much better than this.

Last edited:
bird sightings may 8th - 15th, 2013

Finally the antenna of the WIFI installation in our village (Berzocana - Las Villuercas) has been repaired, sorry for the delay in sightings and responding to other writers.

I was lucky to guide many groups into the steppe-areas of La Serena and those of Zorita, in April until now in May.
Both areas are different, but contain large numbers of Great Bustard, Little Bustard, Little Owl, Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Calandra Larks and Thekla's.
La Serena offers hugh numbers of
Montagu's Harriers, but Zorita is better for Collared Pratincoles.
Special for me was a nest of the Red-billed Cough in La Serena.

till next time,
henk

bird sightings May 24 – 30, 2013

Here some interesting sightings from me and my clients, visiting
La Serena, the Planes of Zorita and the Western part of the mountains
of the Geopark Las Villuercas.

La Serena:
Montagu’s Harrier: many
Little Owl: 13
Black-bellied Sandgrouse: groups of 4 and of 8 ex
Black-eared Wheatear: 4
Great Bustard: group of 43 males
Little Bustard: 2 males
Great Spotted Cuckoo: 2;

Planes of Zorita:
Great Bustard: group of 8 males
Little Bustard: 2 males
Black-winged Stilt: 3 couples
Roller: 3
Little Kestrel: 6 couples
Stone Curlew: 2
Little Owl: 4
Hoopoe: 4 couples feeding young;

Geopark Las Villuercas
Honey buzzard: 2
Golden Eagle: 4
Peregrine: 3 couples
Bonelli’s Eagle: 1 couple
Booted Eagle: 4
Short-toed eagle: 2 couples
Eagle owl: at least 2 couples.
Great Spotted Cuckoo: 2
Blue Rock Trush: many
Grey Wagtail: many
Orphean Warbler: many
Hawfinch: all over the place.

Beside those: everywhere you see Griffon, Black and Egyptian Vultures, the 2 types of Shrikes, Black and Red Kites, all types of warblers, Golden Orioles, Nightingales, Azure-winged magpies…

There is an excellent site for more detailed info about birds in Extremadura:
http://birds-extremadura.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Country House for sale

Main house (200 sq meters) and Holiday bungalow (50 sq meters),
on terrain of 32 hect (79 acres), near Madroñera (Cáceres province).
Owner is a good friend.

Situated in the middle of an ashtonishing nature environment. Ideal starting point
for birding trips: Monfragüe 60 kms, Plains of Cáceres 40 kms, Plains of Zorita and Sierra Brava 25 kms, Geopark Villuercas 40 kms, etc.

Terrain with Oaks, little river, many birds and mammals. Own water supply and
solar energy.

For a quick impression: see
http://www.wereldhuisje.nl/vakantiehuis/spanje-extremadura2.php#203132

If you are interested, ask for more info or for a qoute!

Dutch Birder

Last edited:
bird sightings May 24 – 30, 2013 (continued)

I forgot to mention in the listing of the Zorita planes,
which also include the Sierra Brava environment:
Collared Pratincole: group of 6 birds
(observation by the Schaft-family from Holland).

My good friend an collegue Martin Kelsey mentioned in the
same period and environment:
Red-footed Falcon: 1
Common Scoter: 1 ( Sierra Brava reservoir, 3rd record in Extremadura).

ciao

bird sightings June 1th-6th, 2013

Here a brief summary of the sightings of last weeks trips to Arrocampo,
the reservoir-zone near Almaráz.
We went there specially to see Egrets and Herons.
Some of us thought to see a glimp of a Black-shouldered Kite,
but were not sure.
In the reed and bulrush zones, lots of warblers of course, for example many Savi’s Warblers.

Great crested Grebe: 10 couples
Little Grebe: 4 couples
Great Cormorant: 15 (sub-adults)
Cattle Egret many
Squacco Heron: 2
Great Egret: 3
Little Egret: many
Grey Heron: many
Purple Heron: al least 8 couples with young
Little Bittern: 3
Night Heron: 2
Black Stork: 1
Mallard: many
Shoveler: 3 couples
Red-crested Pochard: 2 couples
Tufted Duck: 3 couples
Montagu’s Harrier: 2
Marsh Harrier: 8
Little Owl: 3
Purple Swamp Hen: at least 3 couples with young
Black-headed Gull: 22
Mediterranean Gull: 1
Gull-billed Tern: 25
Little Tern: dozen or so
Black Tern: many
Bee-eater: many
Great Spotted Cuckoo: 2
Hoopoe: some couples feeding young.

Interesting sightings from the birders of the Cáceres forum community:
Yellow-legged Gull near Mérida,
many reports of Rufous–tailed Scrub Robins.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back