• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field-sketches and descriptions (1 Viewer)

Okay well after seeing all of your wonderful sketches, I got really inspired and did some sketches of this Sharp-Tailed Grouse, through my scope. I did some really rough gesture sketches from the live bird, and filled in some detail when I got back to my hotel. Not the greatest but then Im still learning and pretty new at drawing live birds. Normally I draw from photos.

My notes need a lot of work lol! This was less for identification and more for studying the birds form. I kinda hoped the sketch would speak for itself, but I see I need to work on the notes though.

Attachments

• stg1.jpg.JPG
    stg1.jpg.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 186
  • stg2.jpg.JPG
    stg2.jpg.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 183
  • stg3.jpg.JPG
    stg3.jpg.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 191
Lovely sketches. Drawing from live birds is really hard. I almost invariably get the shape from a photo or memory then add the plumage I can see.

Actually they are trial and mostly error.. I'm not back with a pen once I have the shape right... getting the shape is all down to mood and luck!

The 1st WR sand was done live.. in the garden, the second was the tidier versio I sent, along with the original to the national rarities committee!

Attachments

• ybw.jpg
    ybw.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 365
  • wrs-live.jpg
    wrs-live.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 329
  • wrs-bbrc.jpg
    wrs-bbrc.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 362
Jane Turner said:
Actually they are trial and mostly error.. I'm not back with a pen once I have the shape right... getting the shape is all down to mood and luck!

The 1st WR sand was done live.. in the garden, the second was the tidier versio I sent, along with the original to the national rarities committee!

Very impressive example of detailed bird ID'ing.
A far cry from... 'get a photo at all costs and don't worry about actually looking at the bird'

Jane Turner said:

Yeah I find shape hard to capture as well. One thing I do is I will get a pose down on paper with a rough gesture drawing, and then I go home and get out a guide or photo off the net, and refine the shape, add plumage characteristics I might have missed to make a finished drawing.

Im still learning to do this though but thanks to this forum, I was really inspired by your drawings and everyone elses.

Jane Turner said:
Oh dear all those lovely field notes have been lost. David.. everyone else I insist you put them all back... :)
What, these?

Attachments

• albatross.gif
    albatross.gif
    79.3 KB · Views: 209
  • notebook.jpg
    notebook.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 199
  • notebook2.jpg
    notebook2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 186
  • notebook3.jpg
    notebook3.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 213
  • wilsons.gif
    wilsons.gif
    63.3 KB · Views: 191
Or these?

Attachments

• XXXraptors.jpg
    XXXraptors.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 201
  • XXXXpend.jpg
    XXXXpend.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 182
  • auk.jpg
    auk.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 180
  • nutcracker.jpg
    nutcracker.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 173
  • waxwing.jpg
    waxwing.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 180
Just bumping this up after the discussion about field notes etc

Here is a page that is more about the story than the birds. 15 years on it makes great reading

Attachments

• notes.jpg
    notes.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 289
Its a pity that great thread on field notes went the way of the terminally lost in the great crash. It was full of great examples from many forum members

I agree - really excellent sketches!

Both inspiring and daunting... I'm off to buy a new sketchbook right now in fact. There are some robins, starlings and chimney swifts in the backyard definitely in need of some drawing.

Brad

Here is a 1982 page from my permanent log. Alas the field notes from that long ago are long gone. An early twitch for a couple of new gulls!

Attachments

• oldnotes.jpg
    oldnotes.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 304
Tim Allwood said:
yeah,

some of Clouseau's sketches were fantastic

esp the Norfolk albatross

Tim
Surely some mistake Tim? He only joined in April.........apparently ;)

Cover blown?

Just found this - A White-billed Diver from 1987. The description goes onto a third page, but is mostly about the beer in the pub I could see it from and how it dived like a sumbarine!

Attachments

• wtd1.jpg
    wtd1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 286
  • wbd2.jpg
    wbd2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 209
Here´s something quite new... a Raptor, hope you like it... Seen at the north coast of the Isle of Fehmarn in the Baltic Sea (Nature Reserve Grüner Brink- always worth a visit!)

Attachments

• LSP Eagle.pdf
    309.1 KB · Views: 197
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back