• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Another 'rarity' (just not as good as Jomo's!)

As Jomo so rightly points out - who indeed doesn't love a rarity! Supposed to be on my way out for a long bird survey tonight and get a phone call from neighbour across the bay (He would have shouted across, but that would have scared the bird!!!) - there's a nice Glaucous Gull enjoying the remains of a seal along with a handful of GBBs and commons. I pop across to his side of the bay, as it's getting so bloody foggy, I can't see it from the conservatory - great bird (2nd cal summer, I think, but looks even paler). My ten minutes turns into 40 including a 'social' with Herbert and Ingrid and I have to take my leave to do the 'proper job'. I've only just got back in - 5 hours in the field and knackered.

Attachments

• gull1800.jpg
    gull1800.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 131
  • gull2800.jpg
    gull2800.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 148
  • gull3800.jpg
    gull3800.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 148
the bottom right sketch on the third pic is masterful indeed, great bird, I've only ever seen one, a grotty looking thing flying along the beach at Porthmadog, never mind it was grotty, as it flew off the ivory gull flew back in to feed on a dead porpoise. whoops, just realised I nearly typed ovary gull! too much fine Bordeaux (wasted on an alcoholic brit like me!)

Jomo, those sketches are fabulous, a great record of a lovely little lifer.

Tim, the top left of the 3rd sheet is my favourite but, once again, they are all ace. I really must get some more sketching done, regardless of the bl**dy weather!

Woody

only just got onto this thread, I'm new to the forum, and paint full time.
would like to post some sketches I made the other day of Nightjars at Haldon
forrest devon, how do I go about doing this?

only just got onto this thread, I'm new to the forum, and paint full time.
would like to post some sketches I made the other day of Nightjars at Haldon
forrest devon, how do I go about doing this?

Hi Andy, good to see you on here, welcome aboard.

To attach files to a post you click on the 'manage attachments' button which is in the box below where you type your message if you 'Go to advanced'. Browse through to the files you want to attach and hit the upload button. The files should then appear as attachments.

Alternatively you can upload them to the artwork section of the gallery by clicking the 'upload photos' button and following the instructions from there.

Looking forward to seeing your sketches and contributions to the forum.

Woody B :)

That's a couple of ways well explained. I just click 'POST REPLY' - the yellow button at the top and bottom of the thread and this brings up the 'Manage Attachments' option. Then progress as Woody explains.
Looking forward to seeing your work Andrew. (Lovely part of the world, too.)

As Jomo so rightly points out - who indeed doesn't love a rarity! Supposed to be on my way out for a long bird survey tonight and get a phone call from neighbour across the bay (He would have shouted across, but that would have scared the bird!!!) - there's a nice Glaucous Gull enjoying the remains of a seal along with a handful of GBBs and commons. I pop across to his side of the bay, as it's getting so bloody foggy, I can't see it from the conservatory - great bird (2nd cal summer, I think, but looks even paler). My ten minutes turns into 40 including a 'social' with Herbert and Ingrid and I have to take my leave to do the 'proper job'. I've only just got back in - 5 hours in the field and knackered.

I can certainly learn alot from your lovely work Tim. We get the occassional glaucous gull in carmarthenshire down here in Wales.It was quite an event a month of so ago with twitches decending on us from miles around. I guess you dont get too many of them where you are?

Glaucous is super Tim, the third page bird looking away is bang on, youve got the whole structure down really well, they always seem so top heavy with the chunky head and bill and thick, barrelled chest....

Piping Plovers are also real gems, tremendous page bursting with life. Thanks for posting..

..and now for something completely different

By popular request (...er one, Tim) I've uploaded a cartoon to share from my gallery which seems to have hit the button with a few people, though I have to say the pun might be lost on non-Brits and shock horror it doesn't contain any birds. :eek!:
I've also uploaded the latest and last in the series 'otter crossing' in the hope someone might come up with a better caption, thinking caps on please.

And thanks to all who have been amused by the collection and taken time to tell me so, the feedback is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Sq Print - Crays.jpg
    Sq Print - Crays.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 140
  • stepping stone.jpg
    stepping stone.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 134
That's a couple of ways well explained. I just click 'POST REPLY' - the yellow button at the top and bottom of the thread and this brings up the 'Manage Attachments' option. Then progress as Woody explains.
Looking forward to seeing your work Andrew. (Lovely part of the world, too.)

Thanks Tim, Woody.

Hope this works here goes! Andy

Attachments

• img-nightjars-sketch003-ema.jpg
    img-nightjars-sketch003-ema.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 174
  • img-nightjars-sketch004-ema.jpg
    img-nightjars-sketch004-ema.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 149
  • img-nightjars-sketch005-ema.jpg
    img-nightjars-sketch005-ema.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 165
Excellent Andrew, a superb set of sketches, and the movement captured on the top left jar chasing the moth is sublime, great body shape and amazing how just a few scratchy pencil strokes makes the whole image move.

Here's some more of local peregrines and one
of my paintings of an African Peregrine with Carmine Bee eater
at Vic Falls Zimbabwe.

Attachments

• Plym-bridge-peregrines-emai.jpg
    Plym-bridge-peregrines-emai.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 153
  • African-Peregrine-with-Carm.jpg
    African-Peregrine-with-Carm.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 179
Excellent Andrew, a superb set of sketches, and the movement captured on the top left jar chasing the moth is sublime, great body shape and amazing how just a few scratchy pencil strokes makes the whole image move.

Thanks so much , I don't do enough field sketching so the comments
are just what I need at the mo. These nightjars were great to watch
and came real close, I'm planning to go again soon . Its a magical
experience. Got to do a finished piece but need some more ref
material from Halden befor I do though. :t:

Those are fantastic, Andrew! My nightjars always look like a sky full of boomerangs. Love the movement and detail you've captured here.

Turn my back for a moment and all sorts of things appear in this thread.

Mouldy- if the otter moves fast enough it could be a case of Spraint your Wag in (based on the 1969 movie starring Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin, in which I understand that a pair of prospectors share a woman purchased from a Mormon http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=1141). But maybe that's a bit obscure...

Andrew- fantastic. Love the puffed-out head shape on the just been dusting Peregrine.

Here's some more of local peregrines and one
of my paintings of an African Peregrine with Carmine Bee eater
at Vic Falls Zimbabwe.

These are absolutely sublime Andrew - love the sketch of the partly concealed
Peregrine, and the lighting on the painting is beautiful.

More please!

Dave

Great to have you on board Andrew, quite an entrance tooT The nightjars really are quite something, superb set of flight studies, which are never easy.
The feeding male peregrine is fantastic, as are the entire set of sketches. Great fieldwork and a pleasuse to view. Going back for another look as soon as I stop typing...
(your painting ability speaks for itself, great work)

Andrew - Peregrine - As paul daniels might say "that's Magic!" nothing more I can say.

Ed - caption - nice play on words, not obscure at all, I may be able to work a pun around that on a future pic thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back