• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two designs of squirrel discouragers (1 Viewer)

Ruff

Two birds in one.
I came across a used Droll Yankee brand 'Whipper' bird feeder today and so far it has stood up admirably to one squirrel attack; it's basically just a rather large diameter tube with collapsing perches that will not stand up to a squirrel's weight. I give the little beggars about 6 weeks before one finds a way to crack it while the others watch, but we'll see. I got it used because it was an 'evaluation sample' being studied by a large retailer of such things, otherwise the Canadian price might discourage a birder even more than the squirrels. Another Droll Yankee device is the 'Spinner,' the perch assembly of which spins around under weight, forcing the marauding SQ to bail off. Both the Whipper and the Spinner are seen in the video below, I'm wondering if anyone has evaluated either (but esp. the Whipper- the one I own is returnable within a reasonable time). Or any similar brand of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBpwUKgQbcQ

I have not tried this one but I do use the "squirrel buster" feeders throughout my yard. Pricey but anything heavier than a woodpecker that lands, the ports shut down. I go through a lot less seed since I started using them. Will have to price one of yours to see if I want to add it as an alternative ;)

I have not tried this one but I do use the "squirrel buster" feeders throughout my yard. Pricey but anything heavier than a woodpecker that lands, the ports shut down. I go through a lot less seed since I started using them. Will have to price one of yours to see if I want to add it as an alternative ;)

I have a heavily armoured feeder that functions like that, a "Squirrel-be-gone" that after some years of fortress-like invulnerability was successfully probed by a red squirrel for gaps, but which were then fixable, but it's really designed for small birds and medium size ones like cardinals and blue jays rarely use it. My quest is for a feeder that will feed the larger birds in comfort without being emptied by squirrels in 5 minutes. My new DY 'whip' version has now stood up to SQ assaults for almost 20 hours!

I use a inverted small bucket on the pole and it's been working perfectly for years, of course you'd have to make sure they can't jump directly onto the feeder from elsewhere.

I have also wondered about the effectiveness of the whipper, so I am glad to see you are giving it a try. I think the true test will be this winter, I do not feel that squirrels are hungry enough during the summer months LOL

My Squirrel Busters are still doing the job, but toward the end of winter the squirrels managed to rip the perches off of both feeders. However, it did not allow them to feed, so that is a plus.

I also struggle to find a tray type feeder that would allow the larger-than-nuthatch and chickadee size birds to feed though. I should have had Black-headed Grosbeak and Evening Grosbeak, pluys Red Crossbill at my tray feeder but I could not leave it filled with seed because even the protective "cap" thingy does nothing to prevent squirrels from jumping into the tray. :-C

I placed the alarmingly named but harmless Whipper feeder quite low on a shepherd's hook, allowing the grey black and red squirrels what is basically full and unhindered access. Now, after what I see has been three weeks, it is still standing strong against the rodents, they have in fact even given up trying and are, as far as my efforts are concerned, living on what the birds let fall to the ground below. I am therefore pronouncing the design, with its smooth large diameter tube and collapsible perches, a success- although I've had other feeders stand up for years and fall to defeat eventually, that has taught me not to expect miracles.

I got my first Squirrel Buster mini over the summer and I'm very happy with it. I'm going to get the peanut feeder and the big Legacy model soon. The big Plus model I'd love to have, but it's a bit too big for me. Pigeons dont eat either, and I had a bigger issue with them :t:

My Whipper feeder has to be considered a total success. I've yet to see the larger birds use it, but there's already a feeder that's better for them (easier to use and safer). Anyway, quite a good design and it will catch on when I put a more popular seed in it that the mixed stuff I've been using to test on squirrels. Black oil sunflower seeds should do the trick. And although I might worry that the feed channels seem to be a bit small for them, I'm sure the maker is way ahead of me.

omg...watching those squirrels whip around on the feeder in the video is hilarious.

Pretty smart little innovation.

Just watched a video of a squirrel on a whipper bird feeder happily gorging himself on the seed within.He has grabbed on to a perch on either side of the feeder where they exit the main body effectively giving him a firm foothold.He dangles upside down and then does a crunch (sit up) to gain access to the food aperture,pulling out the seed and then dangling upside down again to eat it.
You've got to admire their ingenuity.
With a few design tweaks it could easily ge made 100% squirrel proof......i am working on a similar design myself at the moment which corrects the mistakes made on the whipper.
Mine is also adjustable for bird weight and seed capacity.

Last edited:
Just watched a video of a squirrel on a whipper bird feeder happily gorging himself on the seed within.He has grabbed on to a perch on either side of the feeder where they exit the main body effectively giving him a firm foothold.He dangles upside down and then does a crunch (sit up) to gain access to the food aperture,pulling out the seed and then dangling upside down again to eat it.
You've got to admire their ingenuity.
With a few design tweaks it could easily ge made 100% squirrel proof......i am working on a similar design myself at the moment which corrects the mistakes made on the whipper.
Mine is also adjustable for bird weight and seed capacity.

Thank goodness I opened this where the squirrels outside my window couldn't see it! So far mine is standing up extremely well, in fact they now just ignore it.

Its a great design and should put off virtually all squirrels.The one i saw beating the feeder is probably a rare occurence.Mines nearly ready for trials......i built mine to stop jackdaws as well as squirrels so i cant wait to see if it works......nature is hard to overcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back