• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are the very BEST Binos in this Galaxy (1 Viewer)

In this galaxy it has not yet been decided and is being hashed out right here on BirdForum. In all other galaxies it is Leica!

Hope this helps....

CG

"... Recently, I saw a post in which an observer talked about the new binocular he had just purchased as having “super light grasp” and “incredibly sharp images.” In the course of the post this fellow shared that this was his first binocular. Thus, while both comments may have been true, one has to wonder exactly what this exuberant new observer was using as a point of reference." :cat:

Just a thought,

Bill

"... Recently, I saw a post in which an observer talked about the new binocular he had just purchased as having “super light grasp” and “incredibly sharp images.” In the course of the post this fellow shared that this was his first binocular. Thus, while both comments may have been true, one has to wonder exactly what this exuberant new observer was using as a point of reference." :cat:

Just a thought,

Bill

His naked eyes, perhaps? 😊

...so feel sure the focusing wheel issues we continue to see in top brands would be a challenge they're more than capable of overcoming.

LGM

At the risk of swerving wildly off what was clearly intended to be a light-hearted thread, I have to admit to being surprised that even top manufacturers seem to have had difficulties in this department, given that internal focusers have been incorporated into binoculars for decades. Can someone knowledgeable on this thread provide some insight as to the challenges in designing and manufacturing a trouble-free focus mechanism (leaving aside issues of "feel")? I personally have not (yet) had real issues in this department, but it seems clear that others have - and I mean genuine issues like the Noctivid being discussed in the Leica thread rather than whether a focuser feels rough or has more resistance in one direction than another.

NB. I've hunted around here and Cloudynights for "super light grasp" but can't seem to find the post WJC mentions... a shame as I'd have enjoyed reading it in full.

Last edited:
At the risk of swerving wildly off what was clearly intended to be a light-hearted thread, I have to admit to being surprised that even top manufacturers seem to have had difficulties in this department, given that internal focusers have been incorporated into binoculars for decades. Can someone knowledgeable on this thread provide some insight as to the challenges in designing and manufacturing a trouble-free focus mechanism (leaving aside issues of "feel")? I personally have not (yet) had real issues in this department, but it seems clear that others have - and I mean genuine issues like the Noctivid being discussed in the Leica thread rather than whether a focuser feels rough or has more resistance in one direction than another.

NB. I've hunted around here and Cloudynights for "super light grasp" but can't seem to find the post WJC mentions... a shame as I'd have enjoyed reading it in full.

Hi Patudo:

Your question has two parts:

1) As related to “Murphy’s Law” and Engineering 101, the more complex the mechanism, the more lost motion—albeit tiny—and more places for errors to creep in, especially amid thumps and bumps. Today, we have some internally focused binos that have some pretty sophisticated focus mechanisms. Whether they are as efficient as photos of their cutaways would indicate is up to the user. By some indicators, they are not.

Before getting my SE, my main birding bino was the Swift Audubon. I found the elongated focus knob on some of the latter editions to have inordinate lost motion. This could be frustrating to maddening. On the less sophisticated versions of the same bino, the action was firm and smooth.

2) That one is harder. I am confident the post was made in the last year and a half. I just don’t recall the forum. Although I have been deep sixed by Cloudy Nights for a long time, until the last week or so, I have been able to at least READ was was happening there. But, I was able to communicate with this fellow and, as a new member, I wouldn’t have had his email address. Maybe it was SWFA’s Optics Talk. I just can remember. On your behalf, I just visited their site but can’t see how to look things up. Maybe NDfarmer or Edj can help. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
This is the best description I've seen for what was my experience of a maddening 10-15X50 that shall remain nameless:

"Inordinate lost motion"

LGM

Sadly, you are very much mistaken! :brains:

It is widely accepted (and now undisputed, well at least after the great InterGalactic flame wars of 2345;)) that the best binoculars in the Galaxy are the ZORK Thagmeister eV8888 Eyeballizers !!! :king:

Fortuitously these are not only the best, but also the luckiest due to their 8.88x Area 51 magnification factor which is highly sought after by Chinese space travellers. o:D

Thanks to their Alienware Adaptive Technology and special Anti-Troll coatings they are also able to instantaneously morph to a superior specification and performance in response to any criticism or claims by alternate model fan boi's ....... :cat:

Let's have no further extraneous and redundant conversation on the matter!! :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

Zarquon's Knees CJ!

You are so behind the times. Thagmeister has already replaced the eV8888 via a wormhole from the future with the DOJ Heisenberger. DOJ stands for Day of Judgement and the unsettling clarity of vision that comes to us all on that day, but the biggest feature is its Heisenberg Uncertain Magnification Generator. The HUMG (which oddly enough is pronounced 'widget' by the Thagmeisters) endows this device with a series of magnifications from zero all the way to just short of infinity all at the same time, and only adopts the magnification of your choice at the instant you look through it and it scans your underlying brain emissions thus revealing your preference.

Those without brain emissions, or who dither over what magnification they prefer, need not bother saving up for this staggering new instrument as it won't work for them. I say staggering because it weighs around 50kg (depending on the gravitational field of your planet) and is enough to give any sentient species the 'staggers'.

The only problem with this epoch-defining bino is that the focus is harder to move in one direction than the other and squeaks a bit.

Still you can't have everything.

Thank you and good night.

Lee

This is the best description I've seen for what was my experience of a maddening 10-15X50 that shall remain nameless:

"Inordinate lost motion"

LGM

Hi LGM:

Your first problem was a ZOOM mechanism, not a focus mechanism. See part 1 attached. :cat:

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 10.23.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 10.23.21 AM.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 57
Sadly, you are very much mistaken! :brains:

It is widely accepted (and now undisputed, well at least after the great InterGalactic flame wars of 2345;)) that the best binoculars in the Galaxy are the ZORK Thagmeister eV8888 Eyeballizers !!! :king:

Fortuitously these are not only the best, but also the luckiest due to their 8.88x Area 51 magnification factor which is highly sought after by Chinese space travellers. o:D

Thanks to their Alienware Adaptive Technology and special Anti-Troll coatings they are also able to instantaneously morph to a superior specification and performance in response to any criticism or claims by alternate model fan boi's ....... :cat:

Let's have no further extraneous and redundant conversation on the matter!! :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

Chosun,
Since no shops in my country stock the ZORK Thagmeister eV8888 Eyeballizers. Can you tell me if it will provide a WOW view, with excellent contrast, Sparkle, sharpness, CA control and 3D view?

Also how does it do on glare when viewing Mountain Goats and my Mothers Basement? This is very important because if I can't view Mountain Goats that will be deal breaker for me.

I'm trying to decide between the ZORK Thagmeister eV8888 Eyeballizers and the SV 10x50 because of its WOW view but I hear the SV has a focus problems so that may not be the best choice.

If the ZORK Thagmeister eV8888 Eyeballizers is made in Japan I bet it is really good cause there QC is often better the Swarovski. At least there focusers are better for sure.

Do you know if the ZORK Thagmeister eV8888 Eyeballizers has IS I hear the IS will provide 30% more detail on spider silk, very impressive and hard to beat.
If its not IS I'm not sure how steady I can hold the 8.88x Area 51 magnification so that may be a deal breaker for me.

Leica is out cause of all there problems with diopters and CA, Zeiss is washed out and green.

Currently using a $2 bin that works fine but I'm looking for the most WOW view, and 3D view available with the most contrast and clarity with no CA so please help as I have to buy without ever looking though a single binocular.

Thanks 3:)

Hi LGM:

Your first problem was a ZOOM mechanism, not a focus mechanism. See part 1 attached. :cat:

Bill

Thank you Bill but they are not "zoom" as ***** are keen to point out but rather two magnifications in one bino.

It was the overtravel and slop in the primary focusing wheel that I felt your description captured so well.

LGM

Thank you Bill but they are not "zoom" as ***** are keen to point out but rather two magnifications in one bino.

It was the overtravel and slop in the primary focusing wheel that I felt your description captured so well.

LGM

Are you talking about the Duovid!?

Bill

Zarquon's Knees CJ!

You are so behind the times. Thagmeister has already replaced the eV8888 via a wormhole from the future with the DOJ Heisenberger. DOJ stands for Day of Judgement and the unsettling clarity of vision that comes to us all on that day, but the biggest feature is its Heisenberg Uncertain Magnification Generator. The HUMG (which oddly enough is pronounced 'widget' by the Thagmeisters) endows this device with a series of magnifications from zero all the way to just short of infinity all at the same time, and only adopts the magnification of your choice at the instant you look through it and it scans your underlying brain emissions thus revealing your preference.

Those without brain emissions, or who dither over what magnification they prefer, need not bother saving up for this staggering new instrument as it won't work for them. I say staggering because it weighs around 50kg (depending on the gravitational field of your planet) and is enough to give any sentient species the 'staggers'.

The only problem with this epoch-defining bino is that the focus is harder to move in one direction than the other and squeaks a bit.

Still you can't have everything.

Thank you and good night.

Lee

Does it have a nice case?;)

I’m using the new Galaxseer 2001. It has a Super-Natural Deluxe lens which, at 300x is capable of letting you see the color of an eagle’s eye at 40 miles. And, being a Newtonian laundromatic refractometer with an exit pupil of .002 microns, it will not foul up your vision with extraneous light rays. In addition, it offers such a fast light transfusion you can see things BEFORE they happen. You just add water! Speaking of which, I will have my new gluten-free water on the market in time for Christmas.

Ciao, or as we say in NE Arkansas ... vittles

Bill

Last edited:
WJC #51

I always wondered why I had "squintyeyetis" while borrowing my mates Travelite zoom binocular. The more zoom I used the more headache I got! Now I know!

P.s. once I've racked up some overtime I may buy your "cook book"! From the odd bits I've seen so far it looks very good.

Attachments

• 20170702_183344-1024x576.jpg
    20170702_183344-1024x576.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back