• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Observations inside two Abbe Koenig Zeiss models (1 Viewer)

There is nothing like that showing in my Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL T* Lotutech. In fact the interior of it is pristine.

I am happy that so few so far have noticed the same things in their binoculars! Probably just me having bad luck. Just be sure to look for it as described in my first post. When shining the light in through the front lenses it cannot be seen.
orm

I am happy that so few so far have noticed the same things in their binoculars! Probably just me having bad luck.
orm

I really don't think you have bad luck at all.

I can confirm that the AK prisms are indeed first assembled into a metal 'cage' and then the cage is installed into the optical tube. The prisms are not attached to the optical tube at all.

Lee

Last edited:
Of reasons given below I have not mentioned that I did send the Victory FL and photos of the problem to Zeiss in Wetzlar last year. I got the answer that what I see is a reflection of the light due to my strong light source, and that when not using the light the problem cannot be seen (see the full answer from Zeiss below). I have ever since then been sceptical (and worried) of this explanation as I find that it is quite obvious there is something on the prism surface. Finally, after months with this gnawing uncertainty I decided to describe the feature to the community to see if anyone else had seen it and what other explanations I could get. I did not want to begin the thread sounding like some criticism against Zeiss. I also felt it could bias others in their comments. I did also not pursue the thing with Zeiss any further. It had cost 70E to ship the binoculars there and I was not going to send them back again as I anticipated I was going to get the same answer.

From Zeiss:

"Thanks allot for the pictures and your exact discription of the prisms from your binocular! We have check the item an can now explain what you have seen in the binocular.The "'blob' is glue witch hold the prism in the mechanik part from the complete prism. The cloudy cover is an reflection from the very bright light that you use to see the details in the prism. The reflction comes from the blank side of the glas. These surface reflectet the bright light an we also see this effect. Without the bright lite there is no reflection."

This confirms the prism is glued to the 'cage' (what they call the 'mechanik part') and since the glue is not in the light path you have nothing to worry about. So enjoy your binos and good luck.

Lee

Thank you Lee and all of you for the discussions!
I feel relieved to know that the glue and the strange feature it has caused are not on a surface affecting the light path! The answer I got from Zeiss at that time did only increase my concerns as it was not explaining the observation. I wish they could have given the same answer as Lee. It would have saved me the worries. Maybe they never saw what I meant. No use in speculating. Well, if anyone else sees the same thing in their binoculars now you know what it is and that it most likely has no effect on the performance.

orm

Thank you Lee and all of you for the discussions!
I feel relieved to know that the glue and the strange feature it has caused are not on a surface affecting the light path! The answer I got from Zeiss at that time did only increase my concerns as it was not explaining the observation. I wish they could have given the same answer as Lee. It would have saved me the worries. Maybe they never saw what I meant. No use in speculating. Well, if anyone else sees the same thing in their binoculars now you know what it is and that it most likely has no effect on the performance.

orm

Thank you for your kind words and thanks also to Dipped of Suffolk who also concluded the glue is not within the light path.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back