• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (4 Viewers)

09.08.14 Cole Valley.
As on the Cole Valley thread a three kingfisher fly past 'chi, chi, chi, chi, chi, chi'!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mink shocker!!

16.08.14 07:00 Trittiford, River Cole
I went from Trittiford to Sarehole for a run without hearing the KF. Less songbirds singing. On my return I waited on the bends where I normally see the KF and sure enough I heard the kingfisher calling and it flew past, gliding round the bends. Then found a Grey Wagtail feeding. Then was very surprised to see a Mink!! Wonder if I can report it to anyone. I then waited for the kingfisher to return. This time I waited on a bridge over the brook that joins then Cole, partly covered by a tree. The kingfisher flying back, decided not to follow the bends of the river and took a short cut up the brook. It came through the tree and straight past my head, so close I could hear it's wings flapping!!

"Then was very surprised to see a Mink!! Wonder if I can report it to anyone. "

The River Cole used to be a great place to watch water voles when I was a kid; mink first appeared along the river about twenty years ago and I haven't seen a water vole there for many years. very sad.

"Then was very surprised to see a Mink!! Wonder if I can report it to anyone. "

The River Cole used to be a great place to watch water voles when I was a kid; mink first appeared along the river about twenty years ago and I haven't seen a water vole there for many years. very sad.

I have seen a water vole this year on the R. Cole, further along after Sarehole before Stratford Road. It's in one of the earlier threads somewhere. I'll report the mink to the Ranger.

17.08.14 07:00 Trittiford, River Cole.
I think there are a few Kingfisher along the River Cole. This morning I saw a kingfisher fly under the bridge going up the Cole behind Trittiford. At the same time I could hear one calling in the distance down the Cole. They were up and down the Cole, I couldn't keep up. I could hear the two pitch call I associate with a pair, then I heard the eery repeated up, down short call as they chase each other. I then got lucky when one stopped in a tree over the river right next to me. Elsewhere the mallard still has seven chicks, I saw the Grey wagtail again feeding on the edge of the river and three heron.

13.09.14 07:00 River Cole up from Trittiford.
I had ran along the Cole for only several hundred metres when amongst the bird song I could hear a distant Kingfisher calling. As I concentrated on the call I could tell it was flying up the river towards me and about to fly past the longest clear section on this part of the River. Great!! So I should back and waited and sure enough there it appeared flying around the long panoramic bend, under the bridge and out the other side. It didn't fly as fast as I thought they did, giving me plenty of time to get an eyeful!! Great!

20-09-14 14:00 Meriden Park Lake, Solihull
I did a quick lap around Meriden Park/Kingshurst Brook off the River Cole. I thought I could see a KF perched in a overhanging willow tree. Then sure enough a kingfisher flew by, straight as a dart and gave out a call as it disappeared round the bend.

05-10-14 17:30 Wood Brook / Bourn - Bournville
Kingfisher on the Bourn, BVT, it disappeared as soon as I saw it. I saw one similar date, same place last year. I heard it call briefly later. Also Grey Wagtail and Jay.

Last edited:
Hi guys.
Brand new to the forum and birdwatching in general.
I was at leasowes park today and saw a kingfisher in the main pool by the car park and another (possibly same bird) at the very top pool.
Do these guys have a particular active time and does anybody know which of these pools they frequent the most?
Hoping to visit again next week with my camera.
Cheers.

Hi marko I visited there about 4 times now and have seen it everytime on the main pool just where it enters by the river and on the next pool up I see it on a reed there. Hope you see it good luck

Hey Sam, thanks for the response.
I must admit I didn't pay much attention to the 2nd pool. Will play closer attention to that one next week.

Hi guys.
Brand new to the forum and birdwatching in general.
I was at leasowes park today and saw a kingfisher in the main pool by the car park and another (possibly same bird) at the very top pool.
Do these guys have a particular active time and does anybody know which of these pools they frequent the most?
Hoping to visit again next week with my camera.
Cheers.

Hi Marko,
Great news - thanks for the report. I shall have to take a look myself.
I know the exact pools you are talking about as I've seen a kingfisher there a number of times. I've seen a kingfisher at Leasowes on all the four pools. I've seen them catch fish on all the four pools. I've even been lucky enough to see a Leasowes kingfisher resting in a tree off the car park pool for over an hour and then settling down for the night in a tree off the same pool. Kingfishers are active from dusk till dawn and as I've seen at Leasowes, will take a rest during the day, if I assume they are well fed. I would think due to the size of the pool, the kingfisher at Leasowes will be mainly on the car park pool. But it will not be visible all the time as it will sit in the trees above the pool. Please see my photo's from Leasowes.
Car park pool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/8339486972/
Car park pool, settling down for the night;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/8338459105/in/photostream/
Top pool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/8601822921/in/photostream/

Last edited:
Hi zomerset.
Thank you for the additional info. Would love to see one of these guys fishing, maybe next week hey..
Your photos are amazing mate, were you in a hide for those or just very still? I do have a throw over hide but I'm very reluctant to use it as I can imagine some very odd looks!!
I know exactly where that first photo was taken, I was stood by that branch myself for a good 30 minutes today as it looked like an ideal perch. Unfortunately only a raven landed on it, he did look very proud on his perch however..
Have you ever witnessed a kingfisher on the connecting streams between the pools, or only the pools themselves?

Hi zomerset.
Thank you for the additional info. Would love to see one of these guys fishing, maybe next week hey..
Your photos are amazing mate, were you in a hide for those or just very still? I do have a throw over hide but I'm very reluctant to use it as I can imagine some very odd looks!!
I know exactly where that first photo was taken, I was stood by that branch myself for a good 30 minutes today as it looked like an ideal perch. Unfortunately only a raven landed on it, he did look very proud on his perch however..
Have you ever witnessed a kingfisher on the connecting streams between the pools, or only the pools themselves?

No hide used as Leasowes. Just the right lens (now big) and luck. I don't stay still for very long, I made quite a few visits and just got lucky. Yes seen the KF fly down the connecting streams and the other stream as well. The best flying sighting was when it followed the paths to fly down, even turning a right angle through a gate. I think I reported it somewhere either on this thread or forum.

I live quite local so I will try and fit in a visit each week and try to get lucky with my camera. Only have a 300mm lens so will probably have to semi hide myself in a bush and hope no one thinks I'm too strange!
Cheers for the advice guys, I will post my findings over the coming weeks and hopefully have a photo decent enough to share soon.

Last edited:
Another Birmingham Kingfisher

Sunday 26th October Bourn Brook, Selly Oak 15:30
S.Hares on BTO had spotted a kingfisher on the Bourn Brook walkway back in June. I have taken a look a few times but not got lucky. Same for the Bourne Brook as it passes through Woodgate Valley. Today I'd been out for a bike ride and on my way back thought I'd check out the Bourn Brook just past the University. I'd forgotten about the S.Hares report so was surprised to immediately find a kingfisher perched on the bank. It spotted me so flew to another perch and then flew off, up and over the road and down the brook giving a call as it disappeared. Against the noise of the traffic the call was not the typical kingfisher call but more of a chirp. Still - great to see and hear!! Cheers B :)

Last edited:
Friday 31st October Bourn Brook, Selly Oak 16:30
I stopped off on my way home from work. I looked up and down the Bourn Brook, I could just see the blue stripe down the back of the Kingfisher as it sat on a perch over the brook in a tree and bush sheltered section. Funny how I'd been checking out the Woodgate valley section of the brook waiting for a KF and one is further along the brook and closer to home. That's two I have now found in this area just over a mile apart. Great!!

Last edited:
Saturday 1st Nov. Bourn Brook, Selly Oak 16:00
On the Bourn Brook walkway along the brook; kingfisher, pied wagtail, two grey wagtail, LTTs amongst the tits in the weeping willow, a Jay over the brook and several moorhen and mallards on the brook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back