• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

improving image quality (1 Viewer)

Sunshine68

Sunshine68
Looking for help in improving image quality. I had a Canon Digital Rebel 6.3MP dSLR that is now in forced retirement due to a broken shutter (hoping to forego repairs and upgrade to a Canon 50D in the near future). I utilized two different attachments to my Swaro AD80 HD scope (tube and sleeve as I call them). The tube allowed direct connection of cam body to scope body and the sleeve attached on to the cam 18-55mm lens and fit over the eyepiece of the scope and has a screw to secure it on.

I wondered if someone could offer some advice on how best to utilize this set up - or what I may do once I get a new digital SLR to increase quality of my images. I was on a Yahoo discussion group and one person pointed out "shutter slap" as a possible issue and focusing issues. I'm looking for how best to work after I get a new camera. I've seen spectacular digiscoped images and wondering how I can do the same.

here's an image taken late day in December of 2006 of an immature Black-crowned Night Heron in a friend's yard. This was taken with the tube attachment on a day with fading daylight. Second image is a subadult bald eagle taken with the sleeve attachment just this past fall. Conditions of the day were poor - heavily overcast and fading daylight. I can upload Exif data if that helps at all.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated - I'd like to have a better working knowledge of how to achieve better images before spring comes. If there are good resources to read, please suggest them. I will be looking through past threads.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_7471ad1_filtered1sm.jpg
    IMG_7471ad1_filtered1sm.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 135
  • CRW_2947_RJeagle.jpg
    CRW_2947_RJeagle.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Try to find a better lens. I assume that 18-55 is the kit one. Find a sharper and a faster lens, for example 50mm f/1.8 or something similar. Use the maximul iso possible to have a small exposure time and try to fix the tripod to avoid the shake of the body and scope. Use a flash or daylight. If you can, use mirror loock up or cable release. Use a solid tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back