• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spare Time Art, Full Time Frustration (1 Viewer)

Moulty

Hi All,
Been dipping in and out most of your threads for a few months now and i think its about time to show what your positive conversations have done for me, bit of a new years resolution to get posting on here and to get motivated to produce more!

So i look forward and welcome all comments.

All the best for the New Year

Chris Moult

Attachments

• KINGFISHER-OIL.jpg
    KINGFISHER-OIL.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 246
Hi,

Thanks for the kind comments, here,s something i did a few months back after a visit to Martin Mere, i generally paint things i've seen, with this though the view was really distant through a scope so used ref photos gathered from here and there, to fill in the details.
Hope to do more 'life drawing' to to get away from this way of working or at least combine them more, hopefully posting the results here.

Chris

Attachments

• Merlin Oil.jpg
    Merlin Oil.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 188
Hi,

Thanks for the kind comments, here,s something i did a few months back after a visit to Martin Mere, i generally paint things i've seen, with this though the view was really distant through a scope so used ref photos gathered from here and there, to fill in the details.
Hope to do more 'life drawing' to to get away from this way of working or at least combine them more, hopefully posting the results here.

Chris

Hi Chris,

These are fantastic, nice sharp, striking images. Love the colour in both of these, which both show a good understanding of the birds themselves, look forward to seeing more on here..

Hi,
Thanks again for the comments much appreciated, a few more on going bits attached.

Shent - Haven't really exhibited any work locally apart from a few years back in the Stoke on Trent Open at the Museum (Scottish Wildcat -actually about to rework foreground on it)
ps. Think we met once at Doxey as i remember talking to a chap regarding the Birding In Staffs Moorland thread from Biddulph, must be 2 years ago though, great blog.

Chris

Attachments

• Barn-Owl-Sketches.jpg
    Barn-Owl-Sketches.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Lapwing-Sketches.jpg
    Lapwing-Sketches.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Snipe-Oil.jpg
    Snipe-Oil.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Snipe-Sketch.jpg
    Snipe-Sketch.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Wood_duck.jpg
    Wood_duck.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 131
Hi,
Thanks again for the comments much appreciated, a few more on going bits attached.

Shent - Haven't really exhibited any work locally apart from a few years back in the Stoke on Trent Open at the Museum (Scottish Wildcat -actually about to rework foreground on it)
ps. Think we met once at Doxey as i remember talking to a chap regarding the Birding In Staffs Moorland thread from Biddulph, must be 2 years ago though, great blog.

Chris

Yes I believe we may have you were doing some fine sketching of a LRP if my memory serves right:king:

Hi,

Did a bit more on the Wood Duck (from a photo i took at Martin Mere), and have included a view I'm working on, of Culbin Sands (not far from Inverness) both are oils (some flash reflections on duck sorry), got a few more things on the go wil try get some photo's sorted.

Shent, can't remember what i was doing on the day tell you the truth, but pretty sure it was you.

all the best

Chris

one of he "studio" attached - must sort out some decent lighting out

Attachments

• WOOD DUCK.jpg
    WOOD DUCK.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 132
  • SHED.jpg
    SHED.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Culbin-Sands-Oil.jpg
    Culbin-Sands-Oil.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 130
Always love to see views of studios. I think if Rembrandt had decided to draw any snipe he would have chosen the same low horizon view that you did on your sketch. It's a very striking sketch.

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the comments about the sketch, just had a quick look through your site and blog, where do you find the time with working full time?, like the Osprey lino

Chris

welcome to BF, stunning work cant wait to see more...you make even the tired and true bird on a stick, fresh and exciting you have and eye for comp and color for sure.

re lighting, I just discovered something fairly cheap and really good, I use photographers, compact florescents and hardware store metal fixtures with a photographers diffuser 12" cover on the them, makes daylight, 5500 K and nice and even, bulbs are $8 US and fixtures $4, diffuser cover $8, best light I've ever had, it's always a nice day out in my studio. I add one warm plant light as 5500K is very cool
here is the bulb on Amazon, These are way cheaper than the $28 "art light flor. bulbs and work longer too that I had in a more expensive art fixture that went dead after a year because the switch broke. It happended on 3 different lights in different brands...so this set up I can replace the fixture when the switch goes out, cheapo.
hope this helps

Attachments

• STUDIO LIGHTING.jpg
    STUDIO LIGHTING.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 116
Hi Colleen,

Thanks for the lighting set up, will look into that i think, had a terrible time yesterday low winter light coming form my right couldn't even get rid of the shadow of my hand. Going board it out and paint it white as well. Its dark when i get home from work and there's not time in the morning so i better sought something out.

Thanks
Chris

forgot to say you need 2 lights, mine are above and behind me at about 45 degree angles so there is not any distracting shadow, the diffuser helps that to spreading it more evenly...I have clamp on fixtures that I can move if I want to...and the heads swivel as well so you can adjust...

Thanks Colleen,
Just had a wander round your site and blog, envy you living on the coast and what that brings to your art, great fur textures on the cats, especially 'Boots'

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back