• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (1 Viewer)

Honest question: can a lens be superior than other on static objects but be inferior on moving ones?( sharpness wise, not AF speed and accuracy)

No sharpness does not change either on static or moving target -it is the technique that has to be changed i.e static with say a 600mm 1/250sec may do but 1/2500 or more to get the same sharpness if the same subject is moving

It really does depend on the speed of the subject and how you pan with it .

Rob.

I have just contacted Tamron UK about the UK release of the lens and they have told me it will be January 17th for Canon Mount!!!!! - this is the same date as the US release so I am not sure if they have got it right. First I have heard about a UK date so I would be a bit skeptical as none of the UK Tamron dealers have got a release date up yet as far as I know.
EDIT: I see Park Cameras are saying the Canon mount ones are expected 17th January so maybe it is correct.

Last edited:
I see Calumet have it priced at £949 although I am certain this will come down after the early adopters have got theirs and stock becomes widely available.

I think Park cameras will have it at £949 one of thoes advert box's poped up with the price showing in a studio forum i was looking at .
Rob.

Not so good here in the USA at least for me. I placed an order with Adorama on Jan 9 and received an email an hour or 2 later saying it was back ordered. I called BHphoto today, whose website still says Jan 17 and they checked with Tamron after I told them about Adorama. Looks like BH and Adorama sold out of the intial shipment and there is no new date on the next.

For the US, there might be a few Canon orders that get the first batch still expected Jan 17 - but I've been told Nikon mount and Sony mount have both been moved back...no official date yet given. I received notice from B&H that my Sony mount order which originally listed Jan 17 is now open-ended with no known date. Oh well - I sort of expected that to happen! Some Nikon mount folks I know have also received delay e-mails from B&H.

Lens as been shipped in the states, I have seen a few shots from a US guy on another web site and they look very mediocre - this lens always seemed to good to be true and it looks as if it is turning out that way, early days yet though.
BTW I see WEX has it in stock at £949.

Last edited:
Like most if not all zoom lenses, its long distance (>20m) performance seems to diminish somewhat. This is a physical limitation of zooms due to the large number of elements they comprise of.

Will likely have one in my hands tomorrow and will test it and compare it with:
1. Sigma 50-500mm OS (very sharp copy)
2. Sigma 500mm 4.5 (ditto)
3. Nikon 80-400mm (new model)
4. Sigma 120-300mm sport + 2x TC

Lens as been shipped in the states, I have seen a few shots from a US guy on another web site and they look very mediocre - this lens always seemed to good to be true and it looks as if it is turning out that way, early days yet though.
BTW I see WEX has it in stock at £949.

Lets hope the user did something wrong or it was back/front focusing. I'd really like this lens to be a good surprise because I need more reach and I can't afford canon big whites (600mm,500mm,300mm I/II...)

There are far too many variables that will contribute to how the photos will turn out at those focal lengths to draw assumptions from one or two people's first shots. Light is crucial, atmospheric interference is always a consideration, the shooter's skill of course accounts for something, camera back or front focus issues, wrong settings, and so on. I'd wait until some highly skilled wildlife shooters, in good light conditions, and a lot more shooters' samples, start coming along before drawing a final conclusion on the lens' performance.

There are far too many variables that will contribute to how the photos will turn out at those focal lengths to draw assumptions from one or two people's first shots. Light is crucial, atmospheric interference is always a consideration, the shooter's skill of course accounts for something, camera back or front focus issues, wrong settings, and so on. I'd wait until some highly skilled wildlife shooters, in good light conditions, and a lot more shooters' samples, start coming along before drawing a final conclusion on the lens' performance.

Sounds like you've read Ken Rowckwells article on lens sharpness.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back