• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

peter hill

went for a long walk up this valley on sunday and monday saw 47 different birds very enjoyable and quite away from the car parkssome of the birds seen were misle thrush song thrush kingfisher g s woodpecker greywagtail siskin redstart meadow pipet kestral jay raven treecreeper willow warbler sand piper nuthatch wood warbler pied fly catcher stone chat bull finch dipper go out and explore your local patch most rewarding to see these birds on a walk not having to drive miles out of the frount door and away you go :hi: :hi:

peter hill said:
went for a long walk up this valley on sunday and monday saw 47 different birds very enjoyable and quite away from the car parkssome of the birds seen were misle thrush song thrush kingfisher g s woodpecker greywagtail siskin redstart meadow pipet kestral jay raven treecreeper willow warbler sand piper nuthatch wood warbler pied fly catcher stone chat bull finch dipper go out and explore your local patch most rewarding to see these birds on a walk not having to drive miles out of the frount door and away you go :hi: :hi:
How lucky you are to live so close to this lovely place. But did you not see any raptors? I would expect sparrowhawk, kestrel, buzzard, hobby and, maybe, goshawk. Also there are ring ousels there.

i saw one or two kestrals no other raptors as for the ringed ozel not sure if there are any in the area a couple of possible sightings on sunday by somone else but just a fleeting glimse not definate :hi:

peter hill said:
i saw one or two kestrals no other raptors as for the ringed ozel not sure if there are any in the area a couple of possible sightings on sunday by somone else but just a fleeting glimse not definate :hi:
Ring Ouzels breed in the Goyt Valley. I have seen them there but do not know the exact location.

Above the plantations and woodlands, often soaring high up, you stand a chance of sparrowhawk, buzzard, peregrine, hobby and goshawk, even the odd hen harrier.

checked out the river valley to just short of the cat and fiddle pub also berry clough then down wild stone moor no sign for me i think they are there somewere but do not give themselves up easyly thanks for the replys not to sure about the hobbys although it is a big area one or two birds could be hard to find :t:

peter hill said:
ps just been out this afernoon and seen a sparrow hark in the valley
It's a matter of sitting and looking into the wild blue yonder to capture views of the raptors - sometimes for a good long time (but worth it in the end).

Hopefully someone else will post where to spot the ring ousels!

Still there Tim - or you could try nearby Dane Bower Quarry - the area is already disturbed by walkers so a couple of birders added to the list won't make any difference.

Still there Tim - or you could try nearby Dane Bower Quarry - the area is already disturbed by walkers so a couple of birders added to the list won't make any difference.

This site sound like it would be worth a visit, possibly this weekend if the weather holds.

What are the chances of seeing Pied Flycatcher, Red Grouse and Dipper in the vicinity?

Regards

Dave

DJW said:
This site sound like it would be worth a visit, possibly this weekend if the weather holds.

What are the chances of seeing Pied Flycatcher, Red Grouse and Dipper in the vicinity?

Regards

Dave
All three very good indeed,you will not find many Throstle fans though.(boing boing boing)

POP

dippers in valley on the river park up at the laybywith the stone in it on the whaley bridge to buxton rd 3/4 of a mile out side whaley walk down to river follow river upsteam from the bridge there has been 3 dippers showing there this week pied flycatcher try farther upstream about a mile you come to another bridge cross the bridge and walk to your right 3 to 400 yards lookouttowards the river also ma chance of wood warbler as for the red grouse you need to go higher up the valley up to erwood res the moors above there lok on multi map hope this helps it looks been nice this weekend :cool: :cool:

You don't want any sandwell town fans in your area, they will lower the property values overnight.

Boing boing next season when Wolves get 6 points.

Thanks for the Bird Info and small round objects to the anti West Brom contingent on this thread!! :t:

Dave

Last edited:
thanks rob walked to dane b h on sat saw one ringed uzel and a wheatear also saw a short eared owl on burbage edge between buxton and derbyshire bridge also most of the birds previously mentioned top day :cool: :cool:

I love walking in the valley, usually along the riverside walk below Errwood Reservoir and around the Hall, and around Berry Clough. Haven't seen (or heard) any Wood Warblers this year - are they around? If not, is there anywhere else in the area that is good for them.

Also I used to get breeding Whinchat along Berry Clough - does anybody know if they still breed in the area?

Cheers,

Richard

two places i have seen wood warblers over the last fortnight are 1 above erwood below the road were the steam crosses it about 3 to 400yrds above were the res ends 2 park wood in the valley below fernilee res walk down about a mile till you come to a bridge cross it then walk to your right listen out in the woods to your left last heard on the path about 100yrds into the climb

Thanks, Peter. Funnily enough i heard and saw Wood Warbler on Saturday at the first place you mention - in the woodland between the riverside walk footpath and the road to Derbyshire bridge. Just a little bit of clambering up the stream bed did it - got fabulous views of one singing its heart out. Also had great views of Tree Pipits (one feeding on the road about ten yards away from me) and a Great Spotted Woodpecker nest with a very vocal chick occsionally popping its head out.

Still no sign of any Whinchats though!

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back