• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

Today,

69. Tennessee Warbler
70. Baltimore Oriole, finally and at the feeder no less.
71. Red-eyed Vireo,
72. Isthmian Wren, (originally called the Plain Wren before the three way split)

Well the migrants have started showing up over the past week so numbers should be going up. I'm happy to say we now have four species of Wrens in the garden on a regular basis which is nice to have.

Cheers,
Bryan

I've been doing a bit of a count of possibles left for me:

Whooper Swan
Mute Swan
Brambling
Raven

the last most likely. After that it's only rarities, and very unlikely extras, so not much chance to gain many more before the year's out.

Rook, Snipe, Woodcock, Meally Redpoll....would probably be the only birds that I might have a "slim" chance with now, although another Naumann's might put in an appearance. ;)

Today,

69. Tennessee Warbler
71. Red-eyed Vireo,
72. Isthmian Wren, (originally called the Plain Wren before the three way split)

Well the migrants have started showing up over the past week so numbers should be going up. I'm happy to say we now have four species of Wrens in the garden on a regular basis which is nice to have.

Cheers,
Bryan

Another split that has crept by unnoticed!
Will have to investigate.

Having done that: I've seen Cabanis's & Canebrake (Ecuador) - but not Isthmian - and I was aware, but had forgotten!

Last edited:
Today,

69. Tennessee Warbler
71. Red-eyed Vireo,

Cheers,
Bryan
Hi Bryan,
When I saw your work here, I thought I recognized it. I went to your links and, sure enough, I had seen your work before. My husband Gene and I met you in Chiapas, Mexico. We were on the Serendipity 43, Peregrine. I wrote a blog post about your beautiful work and posted a link to it, which is not the norm for me; I don't often write about humans.;) I hope I am not out of line posting a link to my blog post. I don't think I will be as I remember sending you a copy before I posted on my blog to make sure you were OK with what I said and that I had things right. You are such a perfectionist and I look forward to your finished product. Gene says. "Hello".
https://birdingaboardperegrine.blogspot.com/2013/
Fair Winds,
Sue

Last edited:
Hi Sue,
What a nice surprise! Of course I remember you, Gene and Peregrine. I also remember us scratching our heads over that Barn Owl on the roof of the restaurant in the marina.
As you've probably guessed we are in Costa Rica still working on the project and Copernicus is snug and safe in a marina in the Ortega river in Florida.
Thank you for the comments on the paintings. Its a lot of work but the apartment and garden we are in makes it all worth it. For one thing it allows me the opportunity to chase garden birds while here. I'm even grabbing the occasional lifer too, whats not to like.

Speaking of which here's a new one for the garden.

73. Lesser Greenlet.

Cheers,
Bryan

Last edited:
Hi Sue,
What a nice surprise! Of course I remember you, Gene and Peregrine. I also remember us scratching our heads over that Barn Owl on the roof of the restaurant in the marina.
As you've probably guessed we are in Costa Rica still working on the project and Copernicus is snug and safe in a marina in the Ortega river in Florida.
Thank you for the comments on the paintings. Its a lot of work but the apartment and garden we are in makes it all worth it. For one thing it allows me the opportunity to chase garden birds while here. I'm even grabbing the occasional lifer too, whats not to like.

Speaking of which here's a new one for the garden.

73. Lesser Greenlet.

Cheers,
Bryan
Yes, the barn owl. Unfortunately, I never got to see it perched on the restaurant (if I had seen it's face I wouldn't have held out hope for something else:-O)-- I think you saw it several times there and alerted me. I finally saw it several times flying over the lagoon but never got a really good look. Kept hoping it would be some native owl with as light an underbody as a BO--but no. Finally gave in to Barn Owl. I envy you with the CR birds. I really miss the jungles/forests of Panama which had many of the same birds. I was really spoiled there. I could have stayed another 3 years, but knew we had to go on so we could finish the circumnavigation. Good luck with your endeavors and Hi again.

Last edited:
74. White-lined Tanager, nice tick,

He was a juvenile male starting to moult to adult plumage. He came to the feeder so hopefully will be back often enough to be able to witness his colour change from cinnamon to jet black

Bryan

#59. Goldcrest - This might been first time for these little cuties on my garden. :king:

Maybe I manage to get over 60. Atleast I should get Waxwing still...

Still looking for Hawfinches, if I had been home yesterday I would have had a good chance as around 30 were seen within a few hundred metres of my house. I did manage to find 2 near work yesterday, so hopefully I will get one on the garden list at the weekend. Whilst looking this morning I did get a year tick though.

95. Fieldfare

Still looking for Hawfinches, if I had been home yesterday I would have had a good chance as around 30 were seen within a few hundred metres of my house. I did manage to find 2 near work yesterday, so hopefully I will get one on the garden list at the weekend. Whilst looking this morning I did get a year tick though.

95. Fieldfare

Mark, is the Hawfinch flock close to your house a regular spot for them?

Cheers

75. Plain Xenops
76. Grey-headed Tanager, at the feeder
77. Squirrel Cuckoo,
78. Golden-olive Woodpecker, a lifer
79. Streak-headed Woodcreeper

Just after dawn today some Chaffinch passage overhead, then heard a Siskin a couple of times. Also, frustratingly pretty sure (only) I heard Bullfinch - been a few passing near Sagres 20kms down the road the last days...anyway

76.Siskin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back