• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dabbling duck ID London (1 Viewer)

BirdBoyBen

Young birder
Found this duck amongst a flock of teal. Very dark cap and light face/breast compared to other teal. thought it may have been molting or a hybrid, but have found nothing in my books.

i will be pleased to hear any ideas as currently I have none. The only duck I can find with the dark cap is a Common scoter, which this certainly is'nt!

Attachments

• mm.png
    mm.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 158
It's just a normal female Teal for me. Maybe the darker cap is a trick of the light, i'm not sure. Can't see anything to suggest hybrid or otherwise.

Thanks guys. It did look like a teal overall, but I just couldn't find an explanation for the dark cap.

Thanks especially to Essex tern, I will do some research on intersexes.

:t:

Although the dark capped appearance does look a little odd, I can't really see any reason why this couldn't just be an effect of lighting - unless of course it was obvious at all times in the field.

I did notice it at another point across the river, and have a blurred photo showing the same markings. Otherwise I would most likely agree.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back