• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

remote shutter control on iphone setup (1 Viewer)

scodger

Hi

I've ordered the new iphone ES and hope to use it for digiscoping. Once set up is there a way of remotely triggering the shutter in the phone without having to actually touch the set up?

Also anyone know if the new Celestron Hummingbird miniscope is available in the UK, it's on several US sites, this looks like a suitable candidate for a quality lightweight travel scope which could be used for digiscoping...?

Thanks

Although I have not tried it I understand that the earbuds that come with the iPhone can be used as a shutter release.

Hi

I've ordered the new iphone ES and hope to use it for digiscoping. Once set up is there a way of remotely triggering the shutter in the phone without having to actually touch the set up?

Also anyone know if the new Celestron Hummingbird miniscope is available in the UK, it's on several US sites, this looks like a suitable candidate for a quality lightweight travel scope which could be used for digiscoping...?

Thanks

you should be able to pick up a Bluetooth shutter release for no more than a fiver from that well known auction site. I have the Foneskope model which is great - but cost £20...

Ditto on both of the previous comments. The volume control on the factory supplied earbuds act as a shutter release when you using the camera app.

Also, an inexpensive blue-tooth remote shutter release like the Phone skope model is another very worthwhile option. I have used both and have been very pleased with the results. I tend to lean more towards the Blue-tooth option as the earbuds dangling from the Iphone can either get tangled or blow in the wind and thus provide some image shake.

On another related note, I currently have the opportunity to review the Athlon Optics Ares 50 mm spotting scope. It is a deadringer for the Celestron Hummingbird 50 mm model. The optics are nice at the 7.5x setting and up to about 15x. From 15x-22x the optical performance drops notably. Probably good for overall observation purposes but I wouldn't use it for digiscoping above 15x.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back