• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden-Crowned Kinglet (1 Viewer)

JonB said:
...for the gallery

Beautiful shot, but this photo is already in the gallery. And the species is already represented in the database, so I'm not sure why you are posting it in this forum.

Going by the wording on the main gallery page, I got the impression that any pics to be included in the database were to be posted here. I interpreted it as "don't post database pics here, go to the forum off the main page". So that's what I did. Apparently a mistake. Apologies, and it's now noted... however, you could have been a little less brusque in your response. Mistakes happen.

JonB

There is no reason for you to apologize since no harm was done by posting your shot in this forum.

My apologies if my post was brusque. It was not intended to be critical. I was concerned that you were trying to accomplish something by posting in this forum and was trying to alert you to the fact that nothing was going to happen with your photo as a result of posting it here.

Specifically, I was reacting to your post which said "for the gallery" which I found puzzling since the photo was already in the gallery. Assuming you meant to say "for the database," I was trying to point out that posting the photo here would not get it in the database because there is already a photo of Golden-crowned Kinglet in the database. The database can accommodate only one photo of each species, though you can search the gallery for additional photos from the database. Since your photo is in the gallery, it will show up in those searches.

I'm sorry that I didn't take the time to explain this more fully in my first post.

I suspect that there are many BF members who are confused about how the database works and the purpose of this forum. Andy Bright has posted a sticky to this forum that helps explain these things.

Glen

I guess I didn't understand - and overreacted. It's so easy in mail/posts for them to come out in a way that you didn't intend. My apologies (definitely warranted this time!), I should have stood back for a bit before "shooting from the hip". Sorry.

I do agree that it's confusing. I understood that this forum was for additional photo's, rather than for those that don't already exist. I'll pay more attention next time. Perhaps changing the wording on the note in the gallery might be in order, though.

You're right, I did intend to say "for the database".

Regards,
Jon

JonB said:
Perhaps changing the wording on the note in the gallery might be in order, though.

I agree. I also think a section should be added to the Gallery Guidelines that explains the different purposes of and connections between the database, the gallery and this forum, with clear instructions about what to post where. Calling Mr. Bright.

Glen

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back