• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (1 Viewer)

Crikey - time flies! And so does your whirring brushes, mate. Some very special bits and bobs recently posted - especially drawn to your sparrow pieces, the pair looking casually peed-off with life, as they do, and those six-flix are really endearing. Best for me is the merlin and belty which speaks of your love and appreciation of natural events and your personal approach to rendering this. Smart!

Thanks all. Ever since I and Jerene saw that rare Nashville Warbler for 30 minutes in our backyard last Saturday I've wanted to do a better version of it.

I think this works a bit better, accentuating its brilliant yellow underside. It's a bird that shouldn't be here for a couple of months yet! We saw him for 30-60 minutes off and on. Then he was gone. I guess it's a good thing I never cleaned up last year's bean trellis in the garden.

Attachments

• nashvilleOnTrellisWC030213.jpg
    nashvilleOnTrellisWC030213.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 41
Lucky you to have the Nashville Warbler show up in the yard! We have had one in the yard as well, but they are not quite as rare out here - a bit uncommon, but I usually manage to see a couple each spring during migration, but just that one in the yard. We have been fortunate to have several rarities show up in (or be seen from) the yard, which always makes me wonder how many others might have passed through when we weren't looking.

Thanks Ed, John. Sad to say the Nashville seems to have moved on. But we were happy, and shocked, to see him while he was here. Saw our first Tree Swallows of spring today so spring is definitely on its way.

I wish I could say the accompanying sketches were from life but they're not. I decided I wanted to try a drawing that captured the shape of the Nashville and had some good photos so that led to this. Then I decided I wanted to work on the bills and overall shapes of some other warblers. So that led to the Prothonotary Warblers on left sheet.

Attachments

• nashvilleProthonotarySketch.jpg
    nashvilleProthonotarySketch.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 91
First snowy squeal of spring - a 9x12 watercolor based on the first Wood Ducks of spring. In a light flurry of snow, with the female deciding to sample a falling snow flake. I would have missed them if it hadn't been for their telltale squeal.

The Wood Ducks I saw today. Yesterday it was the first Killdeer pair of the year though I had seen one lone one a month or so ago.

Attachments

• woodDucksInSnowWC031613.jpg
    woodDucksInSnowWC031613.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 87
  • killdeerPairWC031613.jpg
    killdeerPairWC031613.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 82
The Wood Duck piece is great and what elegant ducks they are;)

Thanks. I am happy with this painting, much more so than with my more detailed Wood Ducks of a few years ago. They're so elegant you think that they must be a fake of some sort.

Along with first of year wood ducks I've seen a lot of other first of year birds recently and am enclosing some pictures of them, all done for an upcoming demonstration I'll give on Stillman and Birn sketchbooks. FOY birds are Eastern Phoebe with Great Blue Heron in Background, Pileated Woodpecker, Mourning Cloak butterfly(FOY) with Brown Creeper and Carolina Wren.

And then some non first of year birds from photos: Great Egret Piping Plovers and Blue Grosbeak. Almost all of them use Caran d'Ache Neocolor II water soluble crayons. Some have a touch of white gouache and you can imagine why that is.

Attachments

• pileatedCrayonSketch040313.jpg
    pileatedCrayonSketch040313.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 75
  • cloakCreeperWrenCrayon033113.jpg
    cloakCreeperWrenCrayon033113.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 72
  • easternPhoebeWC032413.jpg
    easternPhoebeWC032413.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 73
  • greatEgretCrayon032313.jpg
    greatEgretCrayon032313.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 86
  • pipingPloverCrayonV2032813.jpg
    pipingPloverCrayonV2032813.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 80
Ran over the limit on my photo upload so here's the Blue Grosbeak as well as a Northern Waterthrush I forgot to mention.

Attachments

• nWaterthrushWC032613.jpg
    nWaterthrushWC032613.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 81
  • blueGroskbeakCrayon032213.jpg
    blueGroskbeakCrayon032213.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 71
Nice to catch up on your work, Ken! I think my favorite of the latest ones is the juxtaposition of the two birds and butterfly.

Cloak butterfly(FOY) with Brown Creeper

that is a little classic of your kind with bold division by the dark tree

it's odd to look at the butterfly as a Mourning Cloak when over here the same species (I think it is) operates with a differently evocative name : Camberwell Beauty - and so your picture of beautiful has that extra tingle of rarity when viewed from here

Thanks John, Ed. Your remark about Camberwell Beauty got me checking Ed and I found that you are indeed correct and that also according to Wikipedia it has the older names of Grand Surprise and White Petticoat.

Always nice to learn things like that!!

Those soluble crayons certainly suit your style Ken :t:

Thanks Paul, and Gaby, who I forgot earlier.

Yesterday I was happy to see what I believe was a mink flush a first of year Louisiana Waterthrush. Nearby two Wood Ducks were high in a sycamore, I assume having found a place to nest there.

I received some new Stillman and Birn sketchbooks today for a demontration I'm giving soon and I decided that a vertical doublespread might be just the thing for testing out this composition. Not a finished painting by any means but perfect for working out ideas for future paintings or prints.

Attachments

• minkWoodDuckWaterthrushWC041013.jpg
    minkWoodDuckWaterthrushWC041013.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 76
Whoa, whoa, whoa!! I've been telling myself that it's time to stop this thread for awhile now and am always looking for the right numerical milestone, i.e. 100,000 views or some such thing.

Yesterday I thought maybe I ought to end with 125,000 and I thought I would. Then a bunch of new views snuck in and brought it over 125,000. Still it seems like a good number to set as The End, even if I'm a bit over.

It's almost four years since I started here and I can't tell you how exciting it was to see such excellent and often quite prolific work all in styles that made wildlife art seem alive! As I said in my first post I came with a real bias against what I found to be so much dull wildlife art. This forum was a lifesaver and an inspiration.

Of course FB calls to so many, just not to me. So I'm not sure what I'll do for my online outlet - continue my blog I'm sure and perhaps start another thread here if I can think of some new angle on it. I know it will be hard not to start a new one tomorrow. But I'll persevere for a bit anyway. Thanks to all who have visited the thread and been so appreciative. I'm sure I'll be around to comment on your own works.

In any case here's my parting work for this thread, a touched up version of yesterday's Mink, Louisiana Waterthrush and Wood Duck and a new one, using Caran d'Ache Neocolor II crayons again of a Wood Thrush in Hercules Club. Hope you enjoy it. It seems indicative of spring though in fact those berries don't appear until September or so.

Attachments

• woodThrushHClubCrayon041113.jpg
    woodThrushHClubCrayon041113.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 72
  • minkWoodDuckWaterthrushWC041113.jpg
    minkWoodDuckWaterthrushWC041113.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 64
it's been a privilege to see you settle into away of doing your wildlife art over the last few years

and great exit show on this thread with the Wood Thrush and twinned spots of bird and berry

its an oddity that in the whirl of online there's no one channel that seems quite to work for artists (websites too formal, blog formats seem not quite popular enough, facebook too chatty etc.) - I for one will be continue to look out for your blog on the morning feed..

Whoa, whoa, whoa!! I've been telling myself that it's time to stop this thread for awhile now and am always looking for the right numerical milestone, i.e. 100,000 views or some such thing.

Yesterday I thought maybe I ought to end with 125,000 and I thought I would. Then a bunch of new views snuck in and brought it over 125,000. Still it seems like a good number to set as The End, even if I'm a bit over.

It's almost four years since I started here and I can't tell you how exciting it was to see such excellent and often quite prolific work all in styles that made wildlife art seem alive! As I said in my first post I came with a real bias against what I found to be so much dull wildlife art. This forum was a lifesaver and an inspiration.

Of course FB calls to so many, just not to me. So I'm not sure what I'll do for my online outlet - continue my blog I'm sure and perhaps start another thread here if I can think of some new angle on it. I know it will be hard not to start a new one tomorrow. But I'll persevere for a bit anyway. Thanks to all who have visited the thread and been so appreciative. I'm sure I'll be around to comment on your own works.

In any case here's my parting work for this thread, a touched up version of yesterday's Mink, Louisiana Waterthrush and Wood Duck and a new one, using Caran d'Ache Neocolor II crayons again of a Wood Thrush in Hercules Club. Hope you enjoy it. It seems indicative of spring though in fact those berries don't appear until September or so.
]

You had better start a new thread fella. Although I wish I hadn't started a new one and carried on with the old. Thats even with my first paintings looking like my dog had done them :-O so Be aware

Thanks Ed, Paul. We'll see what happens with a new thread. I just felt that this one had run its course, though for me it has been an incredibly valuable course. This part of the forum gave me just what I needed just when I needed it - vibrant wildlife art and support for my own beginning efforts just when I thought there was no such thing as vibrant wildlife art or support for what I did. And plenty of good humor and cheer along the way as well!

My guess is that when I get to a new plateau, if I get to a new plateau, with my art I'll start something new.

And of course it's been a pleasure to watch the progress of your work as well as those of other members. Keep your threads lively please!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back