• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Probable Baltic Gull in East Yorks (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
The juvenile gull in the attached pics was on Flamborough Road about half a mile east of Bempton at the corner of Stonepit Lane today for its second day.

Looks pretty good for Baltic Gull to me.

Brett

Attachments

• IMG_5042a.jpg
    IMG_5042a.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_4732a.jpg
    IMG_4732a.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4815a.jpg
    IMG_4815a.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4980a.jpg
    IMG_4980a.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_4987a.jpg
    IMG_4987a.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 243
The juvenile gull in the attached pics was on Flamborough Road about half a mile east of Bempton at the corner of Stonepit Lane today for its second day.

Looks pretty good for Baltic Gull to me.

Brett

Looks perfect for fuscus! But, of course, is probably impossible to prove.

Possible Baltic Gull

A better photo of the standing bird attached, and a couple of flight shots by Dave Mansell.

What about leg length? Perhaps better for intermedius, but the upperparts are so dark, and it shows no sign of moult.

Can anything useful be deduced from the flight shots?

Brett

Attachments

• IMG_5522a.jpg
    IMG_5522a.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Bempton-gull-2a.jpg
    Bempton-gull-2a.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Bempton-gull-6a.jpg
    Bempton-gull-6a.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 209
Brett..last year (Winter), I observed an adult fuscus type gull (looking slightly smaller, less robust than accompanying LBBG and with amazing primary extensions (presumably a female owing to the exaggerated wings), standing on a concrete apron adjacent to the Thames (Inner London), with Lesser Black-backed Gulls and other assorted gulls Herring, Common, and Black headed one side, with an adult Grtr.Black Backed Gull perhaps 2 metres away, on the other side. Apart from having the ''luxury'' of comparison gulls...the black mantle/scaps and wings of the bird ''mirroring'' the ''black'' of GBBG (no mirrors visible on the primaries) the most obvious structural difference apart from smaller size, was the primary length!...I thought at the time the name ''Pheasant Gull'' would have been more appropriate than Baltic Gull. Having never seen a gull from a structural perspective, looking anything like this. I unwittingly dismissed it as a fuscus (am not really a Laraphile), and to compound it..I did not have my customary camera around my neck. It was only some time after, that I realised the relevance of fuscus, within the context of a UK occurence....In short, In my opinion (for what it's worth) this bird looks like a 2nd calendar year fuscus and possibly a female?

cheers

A better photo of the standing bird attached, and a couple of flight shots by Dave Mansell.

What about leg length? Perhaps better for intermedius, but the upperparts are so dark, and it shows no sign of moult.

Can anything useful be deduced from the flight shots?

Brett

It looks as good (perfect!) as in first pics for juvenile Baltic Gull. Dark inner prims, weak bill, long wings, fully juvenile plumage etc.

But as you know, nobody knows how to really exclude intermedius (or heuglini?).

That's a broad tailband for a fuscus fuscus but probably within ssp.

As said by other you'll need a blood sample...

Brett..last year (Winter), I observed an adult fuscus type gull (looking slightly smaller, less robust than accompanying LBBG and with amazing primary extensions (presumably a female owing to the exaggerated wings), standing on a concrete apron adjacent to the Thames (Inner London), with Lesser Black-backed Gulls and other assorted gulls Herring, Common, and Black headed one side, with an adult Grtr.Black Backed Gull perhaps 2 metres away, on the other side. Apart from having the ''luxury'' of comparison gulls...the black mantle/scaps and wings of the bird ''mirroring'' the ''black'' of GBBG (no mirrors visible on the primaries) the most obvious structural difference apart from smaller size, was the primary length!...I thought at the time the name ''Pheasant Gull'' would have been more appropriate than Baltic Gull. Having never seen a gull from a structural perspective, looking anything like this. I unwittingly dismissed it as a fuscus (am not really a Laraphile), and to compound it..I did not have my customary camera around my neck. It was only some time after, that I realised the relevance of fuscus, within the context of a UK occurence....In short, In my opinion (for what it's worth) this bird looks like a 2nd calendar year fuscus and possibly a female?

cheers

Hi Ken

I agree that it is probably a female, but it's in full juvenile plumage, therefore 1st cy.

Cheers

Brett

P.S having looked at more images, the leg length seems OK for fuscus.

Hi Ken

I agree that it is probably a female, but it's in full juvenile plumage, therefore 1st cy.

Cheers

Brett

Quite right!...I had ''cross wired "2nd for 1st'' from the images in Collins.

cheers

Hi Ken

Cheers

Brett

Hi Brett,

I think your bird is a nailed on Baltic Gull. Proving it could be hard, though.

Attached is a photo of a 1st winter intermedius Lesser Black-backed Gull taken by myself in Dartford last Saturday. It carried the ring J1VH and was rung on 28th June near Oslo.

Note the 2nd generation mantle/scapulars.

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• LBBG J1VH v2.JPG
    LBBG J1VH v2.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 193
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back