• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (3 Viewers)

Egyptian Geese

3 Egyptian Geese stopped off at Holes Bay extremely briefly for about 10 minutes this morning before heading south-east. Lots of Chiffchaff and a possible Jack Snipe at the PC World drain yesterday.

Has anyone had any luck with Crossbills at Wareham Forest recently?

Paul

Longham lake

Still 3 redhead smew at Longham this lunchtime. Also one adult med gull, kingfisher, green woodpecker, several egrets and lots of the usual wildfowl.
Chris

3 ok looking Bitterns (including prolonged scope-filling views of one) and an average-looking Western Water Rail at Hatch Pond this eve, but I couldn't find the exquisitely delectable YLG at Holes Bay John (in case you were thinking of twitching it ;)). 107 Avocets put up by a Peregrine, a Golden Plover and 2 RB Mergs were some compensation though.

3 ok looking Bitterns (including prolonged scope-filling views of one) and an average-looking Western Water Rail at Hatch Pond this eve, but I couldn't find the exquisitely delectable YLG at Holes Bay John (in case you were thinking of twitching it ;)). 107 Avocets put up by a Peregrine, a Golden Plover and 2 RB Mergs were some compensation though.

Where about in the bay was the Golden Plover Larry? Quite a rarity in Poole.

Paul

Where about in the bay was the Golden Plover Larry? Quite a rarity in Poole.

Paul

At around lunch time it was circling low over the area that's generally in front of the hide at Upton Park, but it wasn't seen to land anywhere. I was on the cycle path at the bay's edge, just outside the fenced-in area of Upton Park at the time (towards the roundabout/corner). I picked it up on call, and followed it with bins for some time in great light, getting decent views of ups and unds, before I gave up on it ever landing, and rode off. Didn't realise that it was unusual for the area. Cool B :)

Holes bay this morning, 2 Spotted Redshanks by Outflow, 2 Grey Wagtails along Outflow channel by Pc World and 6 Chiffchaff and 1 Long tailed tit in trees along outflow channel.

Also 1 Bittern at Hatch pond lunchtime.

Durlston/Morden Bog

Durlston this morning, not much out of the ordinary, 2 Peregrine, 1 Dartford Warbler and plenty of Fulmar(123 on the year list).

Morden Bog in the afternoon, only birds of note were the prolonged views of Crossbill. First a single male, then later watched a pair feeding for about 20 minutes.

Attachments

• cross2.jpg
    cross2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 45
  • cross3.jpg
    cross3.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 46
  • cross4.jpg
    cross4.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Alex, agree with Chris, I was there on Tuesday and saw 2 seperate birds, just walk along the cliff path from the Castle towards Tilly Whim and you should see them, either in flight or perched along the cliffs. Also should get great views of the Ravens on the cliff faces which are starting to nest build.

Ian

Started at Wyke Down today early afternoon, plenty of singing Skylark, flocks of Redwing and Fieldfare, 2 Corn Bunting and 3 RL Partridge.

Then went slightly out of county to Martin Down NNR where there was a large flock 0f 200+ Golden Plovers in with a small number of Lapwings.

Back to Wyke for a final hour where I added 2 Yellowhammer and 1 Short Eared Owl.

Longham Lake

Inspired by Dominic Couzen's A Patch made in Heaven (http://www.birdwords.co.uk/2012/02/out-this-month/) - it's all about his visits to Longham - I ventured out in what turned out to be lovely sunny, but windy, weather.
15 adult med gulls were the highlight, but buzzards (6) were displaying too. Most of the ducks have moved on now, with just single figures for teal and wigeon now.
Lots of frogspawn in one flooded corner of the lake.

Chris

Attachments

• P1070855a.jpg
    P1070855a.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P1070847a.jpg
    P1070847a.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 52
  • P1070850a.jpg
    P1070850a.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 44
Saw the Long-Tailed Duck at Mudeford this morning, was quite distant in a fairly choppy sea.

A quick visit to Holes Bay this afternoon followed by an even quicker visit(20 mins) to Hatch Pond. Holes Bay was at low tide with plenty of Blackwit, Redshank ,Oyc's and Dunlin.Still a few Wigeon and Pintail, 3 GC Grebes and 2 pairs of Red Breasted Mergansers.

There were no Bitterns in the usual viewing area at Hatch Pond probably because of the strong wind blowing across the water, so I walked around the Canford Heath end of the lake where I flushed a Kingfisher(1st at HP this year) and then found 1 Bittern in one of its usual sheltered fishing spots.

Ian

Last edited:
Out of County

Crossed the border again today, saw Goshawk at Acres Down and then went across to Hawkhill inclosure to see the Dark Eyed Junco which performed well for the 30 mins I was there.

If you haven't seen the Junco yet and you live on the Eastern side of Dorset it is well worth the 45minute drive , especially if it is on a nice day like today. And leaving it late means you miss all the crowds only about 6 people there today, enough to help locate the bird but not too many to get in the way.

132 now on the yearlist.

Attachments

• junco.jpg
    junco.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Durlston

Very sucessful 2 hours at Durlston this morning, started with 4 Gannets flying West fairly close to shore at 9.50am, then the first of 7 flybys by the local Peregrines.

When arrived at the lighthouse there was a female Black Redstart flycatching from the wall. Then walked around lighthouse and found a smart Male on the back wall of the lighthouse.

More of the same on the clifftop on the walk back culminating in a perched Peregrine on the clifface underneath the main view point, this bird was briefly joined by another with prey.

134 on the yearlist(Gannet & Black Redstart)

Attachments

• black2.jpg
    black2.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 52
  • black1.jpg
    black1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 52
  • perry2.jpg
    perry2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 61
I know they're not birds, but could anyone give me the low down on the Blandform Forum Otters? Where exactly does one go and are early-mornings or any other times of day important? I hope to be in Dorset next week. Very many thanks if anyone can help.

I know they're not birds, but could anyone give me the low down on the Blandform Forum Otters? Where exactly does one go and are early-mornings or any other times of day important? I hope to be in Dorset next week. Very many thanks if anyone can help.

It's all one a bit quiet on the otters lately, but locals say they are all there, just not as showy while they , presumably, have babies. Doesn't seem to matter time of day. Park in the free car park behind the brewery and tesco and walk to the two foot bridges. Dog walkers will be able to tell you when and where the latest spots to see them are. Good luck and let us know if you succeed. Chris

One was swimming downstream just above Town Bridge on Tuesday last week. Anywhere between Town Bridge and the bridge over the By-pass is worth a look, but. the area around the black footbridge/old railway arches is still favourite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back