• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hedgehog Poop? (1 Viewer)

pie

Does anyone know what hedgehog poop looks like?
Ive put a H'g box in the garden (the real McCoy) lined with newspaper and a bowl of "spike" food.
Nothing for a couple of days, now the food is gone every day leaving behind a dollup of poop the size of a 2p.
I would love to know if my guest is a hedgehog.
Many thanks

Hi Pie,

Not sure what "spike" food is? Care to explain? Anyway, we have hedgehogs in our garden regularly. Not sure what kind of poop you are seeing when you say it's the size of a 2p coin - do you mean around or long? Hedghog poo can be recognised often on paths - it is usually about 1/2" to 3/4" long by about 1/8" wide. If you are a bit insane like me you can take a blade to it, cut it up and you will see obvious indegestible beetle parts like the black wing casings.

Hi Mynydd, "spike" is a brand name, its quite pricey, a mixture of chicken and rice suitable for baby hogs as well. Its my first "hedgehog experience" so thought I should trust the experts to begin with, dont even know if I've been blessed with a visit yet, so al'carte should tempt them.

Hi Dampflippers, very grateful for the photo, but is casts doubt on my findings, the poop left in the box is more of a squashy dollup and not formed as the photo.
Now I have a clear picture of what I should be looking for, I will chop it about a bit in the morning and report back.

(yes! Mynydd, I am that crazy)

thanks guys

pie said:
Hi Mynydd, "spike" is a brand name, its quite pricey, a mixture of chicken and rice suitable for baby hogs as well. Its my first "hedgehog experience" so thought I should trust the experts to begin with, dont even know if I've been blessed with a visit yet, so al'carte should tempt them.
(yes! Mynydd, I am that crazy)

thanks guys

Hi Pie,
thanks for the info on Spike - I'll look out for it to help out our local hogs. As for your comment about 'trust the experts' - no way! if anything we are just keen amatuers like yourself who happen to care and enjoy the wildlife we've got around us.
From Dampflippers reply, it would seem that the hogs droppings may vary depending on their diet (obvious really I guess?). Glad to hear your as mad as me and prepared to dissect this poop to find out what your local hedgie is eating.

I was about to say it'll depend on what they are eating.
I have just noticed squishy poo (but the right colour) just outside my hedgehog box, but I can't check inside without disturbing it. Hopefully I'll see some mini poos....and then I'll know!

The hedgehog poo in my garden looks like that in the picture like dragonflippers but it can vary i think. So it could be that, pie.

Hi Mooskibaby,
My hedgehog saga is an ongoing mystery!
I still have no firm sightings, but the food is always eaten and since the poop ID was made available to me, they have decided to remain mysterious by not pooping in or near the box!

I did however try the "prints ID" by using a light dusting of flour suggested by a member from Ex Beeb.

This worked a treat! not only did It confirm the hedgehog, but I dusted flour in various places around the garden and found amazing prints of night time visitors.

All I need now is CCTV with night vision!!! (one day I hope)

Hi Sandra,
Yes I think so, from what Ive read.

Hedgehogs are such funny creatures, I was driving home from work in the early hours when one crossed the road!!

I was the only veichle on the road & he chose that moment to cross!
I stopped and let him waddle accross.

Do they like playing "Russian Roulette" or just a bit "Dim" I wonder.
Bless.

My husband gets really angry when he sees hedgehogs that have been run over. He thinks they can almost always be avoided ..... Let's face it - they usually keep on going in the same direction - unlike pheasants who can't decide which direction to go in.....

Sandra

Sandra (Taylor) said:
I feed our hedgehogs on cat food. Hope I'm doiing right.
Sandra

that's what hedgehogs in my garden usually eat ... they come at night, devour everything they find (not a single crumb or bit remains) and leave their souvenirs all around the place (solid and liquid exactly in the same spot): some are large, others are 'mini', so I suppose there's a whole family using my room as a 'drive-in' fastfood. Furthemore they seem not to be scared at all by my cats, result is: catfood costs me a fortune! :eek!:

pie said:
I did however try the "prints ID" by using a light dusting of flour suggested by a member from Ex Beeb.

This worked a treat! not only did It confirm the hedgehog, but I dusted flour in various places around the garden and found amazing prints of night time visitors.

All I need now is CCTV with night vision!!! (one day I hope)

Hello pie

My hog seems determined to avoid the flour. Perhaps I put too much down. I shall try again, not tonight as it is torrential rain at the moment!!

Thanks for the tip about the hogwatch website.

Bridie

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back