• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Raptors near Luxor, Egypt (2 Viewers)

Golfer1

Hi, Saw these birds flocking over the Nile last week. I thought some were Marsh Harriers, maybe some common buzzards and maybe a long legged buzzard? One had a slightly forked tail like a kite. Photos are attached and all help is much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9190 r.jpg
    IMG_9190 r.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9206 r.jpg
    IMG_9206 r.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9210 r.jpg
    IMG_9210 r.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9223 r.jpg
    IMG_9223 r.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9259  r.jpg
    IMG_9259 r.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 100
Thanks Simon, one looked like it had a very white head and one looked larger but maybe a trick of light and distance?

Attachments

• IMG_9233 r.jpg
    IMG_9233 r.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9263 rr.jpg
    IMG_9263 rr.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 98
Ah..the 2nd photo is a female/imm Marsh Harrier. The 1st shows 2 Black Kites. Bear in mind that especially adult Black Kites show a pale grey head from a good lighting angle ;)

Oh and apologies - in the first series the last photo also shows a Marsh Harrier!

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, I was surprised how they ate bits of food they picked from the river on the wing.... but as they are kites this is not so surprising! Not as black as I thought a black kite would be, so thanks for that.

The second photo in post 3 looks like a Black Kite structurally but the pale 'shoulders' is not normal is it? The well fanned tail and dark ear coverts look more like BK than Marsh Harrier.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back