• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 560mm f5.6 announced (2 Viewers)

Chhayanat

India
Though Bird_Bill has mentioned this already in the previous thread, it might not be out of place to make a dedicated thread for this new Pentax lens, seeing that this is a long lens from Pentax after rather a while. Only a picture has been released and the brief blurbs from Pentax are hardly informative, but the new lens bears comment, even if it is speculative:

i) It would be a DA lens made for the APS-C sensor. It might not be readily usable with a 35mm film camera. Pentax DA lenses do not have aperture rings. Therefore it would be dependent on the DSLR to set the aperture.

ii) Pentax coatings are of high quality. This lens could scarcely fail to have those coatings.

iii) It ought to have autofocus but this is not spelt out. Pentax autofocus, though accurate, remains slower than Canon and Nikon autofocus. Birds in flight will be the main challenge.

iii) The lens is reportedly optimised for rendering distant subjects particularly sharp and is based on the optics used in astronomical telescopes. This claim is not very enlightening but raises questions about the minimum focus distance. It also implies use of ED elements, or does it?

iv) The f5.6 base aperture means that the lens might just about be portable, though the 560mm focal length means a risky outlook for handheld use.

v) Pentax metering even with its DA lenses was a little iffy till the K20D but appears to have improved with the K-7 and K-5. AE metering will certainly be a great boon to the user, especially the TAV mode where the user sets the aperture and shutter speed and the camera sets the ISO.

vi) Pentax's in-camera stabilisation will help in getting getting a few stops of exposure from the camera.

vii) Pricing will be an important consideration. If the lens is priced between USD 1500-2500, it ought to sell well to Pentax and Samsung DSLR users.

The lens is due some time in 2012. Let us hope the long wait for Pentax users has been worthwhile.
Chhayanat

Though Bird_Bill has mentioned this already in the previous thread, it might not be out of place to make a dedicated thread for this new Pentax lens, seeing that this is a long lens from Pentax after rather a while. Only a picture has been released and the brief blurbs from Pentax are hardly informative, but the new lens bears comment, even if it is speculative:

i) It would be a DA lens made for the APS-C sensor. It might not be readily usable with a 35mm film camera. Pentax DA lenses do not have aperture rings. Therefore it would be dependent on the DSLR to set the aperture.

ii) Pentax coatings are of high quality. This lens could scarcely fail to have those coatings.

iii) It ought to have autofocus but this is not spelt out. Pentax autofocus, though accurate, remains slower than Canon and Nikon autofocus. Birds in flight will be the main challenge.

iii) The lens is reportedly optimised for rendering distant subjects particularly sharp and is based on the optics used in astronomical telescopes. This claim is not very enlightening but raises questions about the minimum focus distance. It also implies use of ED elements, or does it?

iv) The f5.6 base aperture means that the lens might just about be portable, though the 560mm focal length means a risky outlook for handheld use.

v) Pentax metering even with its DA lenses was a little iffy till the K20D but appears to have improved with the K-7 and K-5. AE metering will certainly be a great boon to the user, especially the TAV mode where the user sets the aperture and shutter speed and the camera sets the ISO.

vi) Pentax's in-camera stabilisation will help in getting getting a few stops of exposure from the camera.

vii) Pricing will be an important consideration. If the lens is priced between USD 1500-2500, it ought to sell well to Pentax and Samsung DSLR users.

The lens is due some time in 2012. Let us hope the long wait for Pentax users has been worthwhile.
Chhayanat

Raise some great points,if it is in price range mentioned,will be very competative.
Pentax has deep foundation in spotting,and telescope's.A big benefit.
Very curious about elements/grouping and use of ED and fluoro components.
Have a A400/5.6,fixed rear element extension gives mag. ratio of .21 and allows for minimum focus distance of 2.8 meters.Not bad for 400mm focal length. If this new piece is engineerd in same manner,mag. ratio of around .28 and minimum focus distance bit under 4 meters entirely feasable.
Prefer apeture ring myself,will concede lack of does help in weather sealing.Thumb wheels ok,Im just old school.
Still shoot some film,vignetting a question here.

Wanna see it Chhayanat?
Heres what pentax has released regarding prototype.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/02/07/pentax-shows-commitment-previews-six-lenses-mount-adapter

If I was a Pentax user I'll be eyeing this lens with much interest. Should be smaller (but not by much) from the Sigma 500mm F/4.5 lens that currently constitutes the only 500mm prime option for Pentax users (bar those mirror lenses). My hunch is that it would be boradly similar in size to Canon's 500mm F/5.6 FD manual-focus lens as stated here http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fllenses/canonFL500mmFLUORITE.htm. Even then, at 2.7kg, not quite handholdable for birds in flight. Do note that the Canon lens was for full-frame film cameras only while word has it that Pentax's offerring is only for APS-C crop sensors.

Wow, kudos to Pentax. A great looking prospect as a birding lens and I'd bet nowhere near as mind blowingly expensive as the superteles from Canon and Nikon (and that new Sony 500 f4). If Canon made a similar lens I'd be all over it................

Yes it is exciting times. After years of nothing we had the 200 and 300 arrive. Now there is the 550 and a 120-380 zoom as well, specs are thin on that but it might be a good option for BIF if we are lucky.

Great News from Pentax. Hope the 560mm will be in the same class optically as the DA* 300mm and FA*600 and I will be well pleased.:D:D

Great News from Pentax. Hope the 560mm will be in the same class optically as the DA* 300mm and FA*600 and I will be well pleased.:D:D

For most Pentax DSLR users, though not all, pricing will continue to be an important consideration. They will not pay for optical quality regardless of price. Kowa's recent Prominar lens/scope missed a niche market for Pentax not only on account of the price, but also because their adapter for Pentax does not allow the camera to set the shutter speed through its 'green button' after the f-stop has been set with the aperture ring. The optical quality of the Kowa lens/scope is among the best today.
Chhayanat

Not sure what niche market you think Kowa missed as the Pentax K-5 with the way cool F-AF 1.7x on the Kowa Photoscope is a very popular combo.

Last edited:
Have yet to use any lens with or without apeture coupling lever and/or apeture ring that could not meter as a point of reference or establish a base point with K20 or K5.Cant quite understand why Kowa lens/scope adapter couldnt be shot in same manner.That being said,almost always shoot in manual mode when done.Recently,after adding K5 have used Av mode quite a bit for tammy 360B both with and without AF1.7x.Good general use settup for me,lot of flexabilty.Even with AF1.7x still fairly descent IQ.Resolving power at high mag. or longer distance being largest issue.That's point were longer focal length comes into consideration. FA*600 is no longer available to us here,tried and would have (new) one if it was. Know exactly what (*) is and what it means in quality of optics and IQ.Dont see that glass being used in new piece and marketed at very small and specific nische. Interperation of this new 560mm is something being priced in manner to have broad appeal to many.Somewhat in same vein as DA 55-300 Only time and release will tell.

Put * optics in a 560mm manual focus tube,price it at 3k usd...I"ll campout on a sidewalk for it.

Not sure what niche market you think Kowa missed as the Pentax K-5 with the way cool F-AF 1.7x on the Kowa Photoscope is a very popular combo.
It could well be so in Japan but members of the one of the largest Pentax websites, Pentaxforums, seem to have a marked lack of enthusiasm for the Kowa Prominar lens/scope. And most of the members seem to be devoted Pentax users. Perhaps, they have not been educated about the possibilities of the Kowa lens/scope when used with the Pentax.
Chhayanat

Wish Nikon did one, (500mm f5.6 that is - suit a D800).

Attachments

• Pentax560f5.6.jpg
    Pentax560f5.6.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 353
To imagine the actual size and weight of this lens, I'll just take Canon's 400 f4DO for a rough comparision. The DO design is claimed to save weight and size on a conventional 400mm f4, yet it still weighs just below 2000grams, with the 1.4X, it will become a 560f5.6, and should reach the 2Kg bar.
But if Pentax can sell it at an attractive price, there should be many potential customers, particularly they don't have to include an IS group of elements in the lens as it is a built-in camera function.

Last edited:
My thoughts on this would be a DA lens, a* designation would put the lens beyond many peoples budgets, it goes without saying that the lens will have SMC coating and possibly the newer dirt repellent coating too, weather sealing would not really add much to the cost as it would be relatively inexpensive to do on a fixed focal length and I cant see the lens not being AF, as to whether this will be screw drive or SDM remains to be seen, SDM will certainly hike up the price and increase the size and weight of the beast.

My guess is if the lens is DA with screw drive AF we will be looking at £2000-3000
if its going to be a DA* with SDM then its going to be £5000+

People say "dont buy Pentax as they don't have long lenses" yeah right, as if we could afford them anyway could afford them anyway|:D|

Seen some video footage of CP+ display.Last minute or so is spent on 560mm F/5.6. Clearly shows three knobs,
my interpretation is...
Foward-hood lock, mid-tripod collar lock, aft- focus limiter? Cant imagine what else it might be back there.
Curious about ability to manual focus in addition to AF function. Quick shift comes to mind,such as on other DA series screw drives. Currency converter here in agreement with Alan's speculation.

Last edited:
Is it me, or does the lens itself telescope or collapse inwards for storage?

It does look as if that might be the case and there has been considerable speculation about that on the Pentax forums, it certainly would be an interesting eature. When asked on the subject all the Pentax spokesman would say was 'the design is not yet finalised and may change' so we'll have to wait and see.

Sounds like Borg modular telescope system.At least that thing has an image circle that'll cover 6cm x 7cm film plane.Believe that Borg is for astrophotography.Kowa lens scope will cover standard 135 format 24mm x 36mm plane.That prototype has the look of just that,a prototype.Fit and finish doesnt seem typical of Asahi legacy.

Last edited:
I'm interested in this lens too, so keeping an eye out for any new information week after week.

Still no news right now that I have found. I don't really expect anything concrete until around the end of the year.... although I want it NOW! |:D|

I'm interested in this lens too, so keeping an eye out for any new information week after week.

Still no news right now that I have found. I don't really expect anything concrete until around the end of the year.... although I want it NOW! |:D|

Many of us are eeny'. Asahi-Pentax having so many groundbreaking contributions to phototography over the years, is with great anticipation. Spotmatics, lens coatings...that autofocus lens in early '80s
(well OK maybe not ALL those ideals)
Can only hope "concrete" is a figure of speech....
Gonna be tough(er) on em this time. Shot a couple of LX for along time now,
hard to please, but know they can get it right when they put their minds to it.

Edit: been passing time waiting for intro of 560mm F/5.6 trying to figure out what the heck I did last fall when swapped a roll of 200 ektachrome from LX to an old ZX-L and double exposed tiger swallowtail on tornado damaged feeder in backyard. Cant figure out how film didnt register properly, for life of me, could use little more time.

Attachments

• 200EK_19AH_ZXL_016.jpg
    200EK_19AH_ZXL_016.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back