• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Re-Introduced Black Grouse, Strines Area (1 Viewer)

It would be interesting to hear if anyone knows any different but to my knowledge the Strines birds are long gone (2011?) and I haven't heard a report from the Broomhead area so far this year.

Re-introduced Black Grouse, Strines area

Thanks for your reply and the link. I was told by a local birder here (Leicester) that he had been there, taken the first right up the Strines and seen the BGs near a copse. Let me find out when this was and I will get back to you.

Thanks noble-lite. Just like the remnants of the indigenous population back in the late '80's/early '90's it wouldn't surprise me if any survivors of the re-introduction are wandering over quite a wide area in search of suitable habitat (it's about 8km between the two sites). However I've not heard anything from Strines for a long time (would definitely be interesting to get a specific date from your contact) and haven't personally seen one at Ewden since November 2011 (numbers appear to have crashed over the winter 2010/11).

Last edited:
It turns out that my source of info saw some BG several years ago, so the current info. Is obviously correct. There may be a bird or two about, but certainly not being seen that often. I might give it a visit in early Spring.

It turns out that my source of info saw some BG several years ago, so the current info. Is obviously correct. There may be a bird or two about, but certainly not being seen that often. I might give it a visit in early Spring.

If you want to see Black Grouse much better to go a bit further and see them in North Yorks. You could give me a lift too.

Steve

If you want to see Black Grouse much better to go a bit further and see them in North Yorks. You could give me a lift too.

Steve

Were abouts can they be seen as far as i know, we have never had Black Grouse for years, always thought the Durham,Upper Teesdale area was the best place local for us on Teesside

Thanks
Damian

Steve

If anyone struggles in Langstrothdale, Swaledale etc, it's not that much further to come across into Durham. The Teesdale and Lunedale populations are thriving, which is fantastic news! A friend had a morning in Teesdale a couple of weeks back and counted 120, many of which were from roadside locations.

Mark

Were abouts can they be seen as far as i know, we have never had Black Grouse for years, always thought the Durham,Upper Teesdale area was the best place local for us on Teesside

Thanks
Damian

The best known spot is from the roadside in Arkengathdale - turn south off the A66 where it is signed Scargill and go over the top and park just after the farm on the right. Look behind the farm on the walled fields. No need to leave the road.

Steve

The best known spot is from the roadside in Arkengathdale - turn south off the A66 where it is signed Scargill and go over the top and park just after the farm on the right. Look behind the farm on the walled fields. No need to leave the road.

Steve

We were at Arkengarthdale about 6 weeks ago and had 14 males and 2 females. Seen in the walled field to the LHS of Shaw's farm as you view from the road.

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back