• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

dead hawk in mid North Carolina, Eastern United States (1 Viewer)

Notice the pale lines on the secondaries in image 1 which sayé Red-shouldered Hawk. Tail/wing lenght is visible which is better for RSH.

JanJ

Curious. Any power lines bordering your yard? I ask only because in the past month I have come across 2 dead hawks that seemed to have landed on the wrong spot of a transformer. Both were directly underneath a utility pole.

before we figured out this was a Red shouldered hawk, how did yall decide on Sharpie instead of coopers?

Oh no! Now I really made myself look stupid! :C I meant to guess Coopers not Sharp-shinned! I knew that one of them was only in NC during the winter (according to Sibley) and I thought it was the Cooper! Turns out it is the Sharpie that is only here during the witnter....argh! If I would have known that I never would have guessed Sharpie or Cooper. Guess that makes you the better birder SP! ;) 3:)

No, I don't have any power lines. Thanks everyone for helping to ID it as a red-shouldered hawk. It's too bad it couldn't survive to adulthood.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back