• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on Wingspan Optics ProBirder Ultra 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Thanks!!! I was at Cabela's in Dundee, MI today. None in stock. In fact pretty much everything was out of stock. I was told too many hunters buying binoculars. I just now saw your post cill6X6. I immediately went to Cabela's website and ordered 5 Guides for my grandkids. Can't beat the price and the recommendations. Just wish I could have seen them. Then I thought, what the heck, I'll buy one for myself, too. So 6 coming. Sales tax but no shipping cost. I hope they will be good with glasses.

Now I can relax. The birds at my bird feeder have been emptying the sunflower seeds so fast I have to replenish several times a day. Weather has turned awful here. Now I'm waiting for the first trick-or-treaters.

Thanks again to everyone!

Hope they work out for you. I believe it's about your best bet for an 8X32. You can sent them back if you want. Now these are a legitimate $250 binocular! Or more...SERIOUSLY! If they work out...you did GREAT!

I have received the 6 Cabela's Guide 8X32 binoculars! So far I'm pleased with the one I have been learning to use. It's a bit heavy and a bit stiff to adjust. That's my only complaint. I plan to buy harnesses for the grandkids. I already wear a harness for my camera which goes everywhere with me so I need to find some other solution for myself.

Now, a question about cleaning. The brochure that comes with the binoculars recommends "applying ammonia-free-optics cleaning formulas or a soft brush to your lenses. To lift oil and debris from your binocular lenses without smears or scatches, use a Cabela's Lenspen."

Doing some research on Google about lenspens of various makes, there are those who claim the lenspens actually cause scratches and smears. Others rave about them. There are pros and cons for lens cleaning solutions and lens wipes, as well.

A soft brush sounds fine to me. But I wonder what your recommendation is about lenspens vs. cleaning solutions.

Thanks.

I think lens pens are great, but for just the brush! I have concerns about grit getting in the cleaning disk and so I do not use that part of the pen. There is a lot of dust in my part of the country so it is easy to pick up hard particles of dust.

I try to limit any cleaning but sometimes it is necessary. First I blow off the lens to remove the big stuff then I dust it off with a brush, such as the lens pen. Once I am sure all of the dust particles are removed, I will blow on it with my breath to fog the surface of the lens and then very gently wipe it lightly with a clean (dust free) micro fiber cloth. That will usually do the trick.

If more is needed, then add some filtered or distilled water to a bowl with a drop of Dawn dish washing soap and mix. Dampen a clean micro fiber cloth in the water and lightly dampen the spot to be cleaned and then lightly wipe. Dry with a clean dry microfiber cloth. It is unusual to need to do anything more. There are cleaning fluids that can be used. I have used isopropyl alcohol on occasion.

I have also used the Ziess Wipe pads out in the field but very lightly after brushing off all the dust. They are not soft like a cloth. I do use them on sunglasses all the time without any issues.

My biggest issue is when drops of sweat get on the lens. That dries to a crusty hard surface so I like to wet it so it can be lifted off with a cloth.

As far as carrying you new binocular with your camera, check out the Optech site for a lot of options.......

https://optechusa.com/

You mentioned the new binocular is stiff to adjust. Is that the focus, the hinge or both? Try moving the mechanisms through their range multiple times to see if they will "break in". Sometimes that helps.

Interesting that the Guide 8X32 left you with the impression of being heavy. I think of it as a light weight hiking binocular.

I hope they work out well on you outing.

I have received the 6 Cabela's Guide 8X32 binoculars! So far I'm pleased with the one I have been learning to use. It's a bit heavy and a bit stiff to adjust. That's my only complaint. I plan to buy harnesses for the grandkids. I already wear a harness for my camera which goes everywhere with me so I need to find some other solution for myself.

Now, a question about cleaning. The brochure that comes with the binoculars recommends "applying ammonia-free-optics cleaning formulas or a soft brush to your lenses. To lift oil and debris from your binocular lenses without smears or scatches, use a Cabela's Lenspen."

Doing some research on Google about lenspens of various makes, there are those who claim the lenspens actually cause scratches and smears. Others rave about them. There are pros and cons for lens cleaning solutions and lens wipes, as well.

A soft brush sounds fine to me. But I wonder what your recommendation is about lenspens vs. cleaning solutions.

Thanks.

I'm glad you like them! I really don't think it is possible to beat them for the money. You came around at the perfect time!

As far as cleaning goes....I really don't clean the glass THAT much at all. I like a photography quality lens brush. Although I have used LensPens for years and YEARs....I tend to get better results with one of the MagicFiber microfiber lens cloths or similar...

To Bruce H and chill6X6:

Thank you for your helpful suggestions on cleaning binoculars. Following your advice I will purchase Lens Wipes by ZEISS, 100 Glass Cleaning Wipes which are available for $5 at my local Walmart. I also ordered from 47st. Photo through Walmart 2 pks of Opteka Camera Lens and Sensitive Electronics Professional Cleaning Brush (3-Pack) with Premium Microfiber Cloth (3-Pack) for $9.95 each. That should be enough for me and the grandchildren.

Now while smiling I will address the next to BruceH who doesn't think the binoculars are heavy: BruceH, in my imagination you are tall, young, and strong. Am I right? I on the other hand am a short (5ft) , old (84), and weak (100 lb) female. On a hike I already carry a heavy camera on a harness. In my small backpack there is rain gear, my lunch, enough water for the day and any other necessities. I use two walking sticks for ascents and descents and any rough trails. I still have to figure out how I will carry the binoculars, but I'm sure that after a few hours they will definitely be HEAVY. LOL. On the other hand my strong, young grandchildren will probably not find them too heavy.

Thanks to both of you for taking so much time to help me!!!

If more is needed, then add some filtered or distilled water to a bowl with a drop of Dawn Dawn dish washing soap and mix. Dampen a clean micro fiber cloth in the water and lightly dampen the spot to be cleaned and then lightly wipe. Dry with a clean dry microfiber cloth. It is unusual to need to do anything more. There are cleaning fluids that can be used. I have used isopropyl alcohol on occasion.

May I ask why you specificly recommend Dawn dish washing soap? I am not familiar with this brand and it's make up since I live in Europe. Have heard some negative advice on using ordinary dish detergents though...|:S|

Dawn is not supposed to have any added ingredients that would make it more gentle for the hands. I had read some time ago that those ingredients can leave a film on lenses.

I believe Dawn has been used for cleaning oil off birds caught in oil spills.

0-Dawn.jpg

Nelhop .... A good place to save weight is to go for the lightest shoe you can find that still does the job.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back