• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting - Bahrain (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
This bunting picture was taken today in Bahrain. Can you help with the identification.

Thanks.

Attachments

• AJ0_6780_800w.jpg
    AJ0_6780_800w.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,100
  • AJ0_6784_800w.jpg
    AJ0_6784_800w.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 1,092
Hello Adrian!

The best I can come up with at the moment is Cinereous Bunting (Emberiza cineracea semenowi). The streaked breast and the fresh plumage indicate an adult female. Did you notice the rump colour and outer tail pattern (white-tipped).

JanJ

JANJ said:
Hello Adrian!

The best I can come up with at the moment is Cinereous Bunting (Emberiza cineracea semenowi). The streaked breast and the fresh plumage indicate an adult female. Did you notice the rump colour and outer tail pattern (white-tipped).

JanJ
Thanks for your efforts Jan. The outer tail feathers were certainly lighter than the inners, I could not swear to them being white. Sorry I did not notice the rump.

I've just checked the Bahrain checklist and cinereous is listed as a vagrant.

Last edited:
AJDH said:
I've just checked the Bahrain checklist and cinereous is listed as a vagrant.

AJDH...I think CB occurs more frequently than suggested. I know that in Israel they are seen more and more these days (still hardly common). Whether that's down to range expansion or increased observer coverage is anyone's guess.... a nice bird and as always a great photo ;)

Hi there,

Last week we saw several Cinereous bunting passing through Kuwait, which it does with regularity at this time of year.

I suspect it may occur more in Bahrain than was previously thought.

Regards

Sean

Ghostly Vision said:
Hi there,

Last week we saw several Cinereous bunting passing through Kuwait, which it does with regularity at this time of year.

I suspect it may occur more in Bahrain than was previously thought.

Regards

Sean
Thanks for that Sean. I'll check with the Bahrain bird recorder when he gets back from the UK tomorrow. :t:

Adrian

Bubbs said:
AJDH...I think CB occurs more frequently than suggested. I know that in Israel they are seen more and more these days (still hardly common). Whether that's down to range expansion or increased observer coverage is anyone's guess.... a nice bird and as always a great photo ;)
Thanks Bubbs I'll check tomorrow. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back