• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leaky (concrete) Bird Bath (1 Viewer)

grobble

I thought a lot of enthusiastic bathing was rapidly emptying my (25yo) concrete bird bath, but it appears to be leaking.

Any suggestions for materials to repair?

As far as I can see, the base of the bowl has first been covered with some fine white mix (a bit like masonry paint) which has then been covered with a blue paint of some description.

How concrete leaks is quite beyond me!

Updated to say that I have found a hairline crack running from the inside to the outside (about 2" in length) must be ice damage to an open area! No wonder pipes burst.

Last edited:
My favorite bowl cracked last year due to ice also. I replaced it, but it was a great bowl...very wide and shallow, so I kept it. It has the same type of cracks in it, only three of them. Structurally, its rock solid with the concrete built on some kind of wire mesh skeleton.

I tried a few hardware stores looking for some kind of thick paint-goop which I think would do the job in resealing it, but I couldn't find anything they would guarantee as safe for bird drinking and bathing water.

Will stay tuned to this thread...

I don't know where exactly to send you, but I know backyard ponds made of concrete have to be sealed somehow to hold water. What is safe for the koi and goldfish I imagine would be OK for the birds too. Maybe searching on a pond site would give you the answer.

Helen

You can get pond sealant, which you paint on, for concrete ponds at most pond/fish stockists. I think its main use is to stop concrete and stones leaching chemicals into the water but it may also seal hairline cracks if you use lots of coats. Worth a try I guess!

Thanks Helen and Bartolli...Koi ponds!!! Never crossed my mind, but great idea. I'm heading out to surf the net for koi pond sealant |=)|

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm also wondering about Plumber's Mait (yes, it is spelled that way!). If you're not familiar with it, it's a thick creamy goo used to seal leaky pipes. It dries to a rubbery solid, so I would guess if applied into the crack with a blade it will do a decent job.

I think pond sealant was used by the manufacturer and I've worn some away using a plastic brush to clean the bath occasionally, leading to a path for the ice to do the damage.

A silicon sealant from a motor shop might do it. :t::t: http://rambleswithacamera.blogspot.com/

Yep I have repaired a couple of them using silicone sealant and they held water all last year, I just made sure they were bone dry cleaned out the cracks with a wire brush and forced some silicone sealer into the cracks with my finger and left it to dry for 24 hours and they have not leaked since....( i think doing it this way the main thing is to get the crack clean and very dry before trying to repair them )

Finally got round to making a proper job of fixing it (I hope!).

A 2kg bag of rapid drying mortar from Wickes did the trick. It states 'only mix as much as you can use in 10 minutes' on the packet but I found 5 minutes would have been better.

Finally got round to making a proper job of fixing it (I hope!).

A 2kg bag of rapid drying mortar from Wickes did the trick. It states 'only mix as much as you can use in 10 minutes' on the packet but I found 5 minutes would have been better.

If it happens again try using a building product called Acropol, this is a product that you paint on using a normal paint brush (use an old one as you wont be able to use it again). I have used it hundreds of times on roof jobs at work both for gutters, lead and felt and it is brilliant stuff. Although it is around £20 for a 5ltr tin you can buy smaller ones also, it comes in either grey or black. Once dry it is similar to glass fibre.

I painted a concrete bird bath with it last year and it worked a treat, although you will need to let the stuff dry though before letting it loose on the birds as it will stick to their feathers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back