• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Oddie And The Gamekeeper (1 Viewer)

derekjake

Hi to all ,

I like most of bird forums members realy enjoyed bill oddie on Springwatch last friday a realy interesting programme,
Sadly for the second year no mention was made that the farm were a lot of the filming was done as part of the Fishleigh estate has won numerous awards for shooting and conservation,
Including runner up prize in the prestigious Purdy awards given to shooting estates with conservation in mind.
The fishleigh estate Game keeper him self has won awards for his conservation work .
So come on billy boy you have got your chance in may to give credit were credit is due,
But some how i do not think this will happen as this would not fit the picture bill paints of shooting and gamekeepers,
Regards Derekjake.

"But some how i do not think this will happen as this would not fit the picture bill paints of shooting and gamekeepers,"

As one, I am with you whole heartedly on this. But as human nature goes, you are only as good as your last bad job, or in this case, only good as the last bad gamekeeper/estate manager/owner.

Brushes and tarring come to mind.

Regards

Malky

I thought they didn't mention the exact location becuase they might get 'tourists' turning up. Not what you want in a quiet country area and especially when you are making a live wildlife programme. Just an assumption I made.

DKR said:
I thought they didn't mention the exact location becuase they might get 'tourists' turning up. Not what you want in a quiet country area and especially when you are making a live wildlife programme. Just an assumption I made.

Quite possibly true but surely that doesn't prevent them for giving credit to the habitat managers without naming the location.

It might also show that one bad apple etc.

Perhaps you should e-mail the BBC and ask them, Derek? Or perhaps use the >Springwatch< message board? (The email contact for the Beeb is on that page too.)

I would think that if there are no credits then it is because the estate asked for them to be withheld for whatever reason. Surely if the BBC refused to credit them the first time around, the estate would not agree to a second season?

I think it more likely that the location is not broadcast because of the fear of disruption to the day-to-day workings of the estate.

I don't buy the tar/brush theory.

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Perhaps you should e-mail the BBC and ask them, Derek? Or perhaps use the >Springwatch< message board? (The email contact for the Beeb is on that page too.)

I would think that if there are no credits then it is because the estate asked for them to be withheld for whatever reason. Surely if the BBC refused to credit them the first time around, the estate would not agree to a second season?

I think it more likely that the location is not broadcast because of the fear of disruption to the day-to-day workings of the estate.

I don't buy the tar/brush theory.

Andy.

HI ANDREW,
Some good points, but it still does not alter the fact that the estate workers and the keepers recieved no thanks for there help in the making of the programe , before the bbc film crew turned up the estate workers were feeding the bird life in to certain area ready for filming , and it was the keeper who took the film crew out and showed them were to film the badgers , deer, and other bird life on the estate,

If the estate asked not to be named , which i am imformed it did not as the estate wanted it to be seen that shooting , and conservation can go hand in hand with wildlife , I have named it for that very reason as i think they should get all the praise they deserve.
Regards derekjake.

Last edited:
derekjake said:
HI ANDREW,
Some good points, but it still does not alter the fact that the estate workers and the keepers recieved no thanks for there help in the making of the programe , before the bbc film crew turned up the estate workers were feeding the bird life in to certain area ready for filming , and it was the keeper who took the film crew out and showed them were to film the badgers , deer, and other bird life on the estate,

If the estate asked not to be named , which i am imformed it did not as the estate wanted it to be seen that shooting , and conservation can go hand in hand with wildlife , I have named it for that very reason as i think they should get all the praise they deserve.
Regards derekjake.

The dearth of apparent appreciation may be due to lack of communication between the estate management and their staff.

As you seem reticent to approach the BBC, perhaps you could ask the estate management for their take on the publicity aspect and lack of appreciation that their workers apparently feel?

Perhaps the point they are looking to make is that many estates are good for wildlife not just this one?

There was no need to name the estate for me, I found it out quite easily last year.

I agree the beeb should have mentioned the 'keepering, possibly showing some aspects of the job of a keeper and how it benefits conservation. I thought the recent gameshooting debate on Countryfile was well balanced.

However, the 'keepering didn't help poor Polly the Pied Wagtail, whose closely monitored nest was likely predated by a corvid (nest cup pulled out)! They didn't identify the predator but there was a carrion crow calling in the background most times they switched to the nest.

Rob

derekjake said:
Sadly for the second year no mention was made that the farm were a lot of the filming was done as part of the Fishleigh estate

I'm watching the repeat now, Derek (I missed it on Friday); the female presenter mentioned Fishleigh by name about five minutes into the programme.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back