• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conservation in the Trumpocene (1 Viewer)

I disagree. Surely it would be more accurate in the current context to have written of this decision: "Believable, just shockingly believable ...."

What is it about some people that makes them behave as if lead is miraculously de-toxified when discharged through the barrel of a gun? It's hard to imagine anyone with a genuine concern for the environment supporting this measure.

What is it about some people that makes them behave as if lead is miraculously de-toxified when discharged through the barrel of a gun? It's hard to imagine anyone with a genuine concern for the environment supporting this measure.

Small-mindedness and willful ignorance, for the most part, seasoned with a big helping of resentment towards "urban elites" and the conservation ethic in general. They don't "do" larger purposes (think friend litebeam supra); all they know is that steel shot costs a bit more than lead and isn't as friendly to the barrels of their precious guns.

Last edited:
Small-mindedness and willful ignorance, for the most part, seasoned with a big helping of resentment towards "urban elites" and the conservation ethic in general. They don't "do" larger purposes (think friend litebeam supra); all they know is that steel shot costs a bit more than lead and isn't as friendly to the barrels of their precious guns.

More fulgian™ nonsense. You post like you know my stance here, when you have absolutely no idea..
I've never commented about lead use here at this forum. On other fora I have opined, lead is toxic, and I won't use it.
Why use lead when there are safer alternatives like copper bullets or steel shot?

Don't presume to lecture me on prudent life choices for the environment, yours (if you have any) wouldn't stand a chance against mine. I've posted at length about this in the past, you've provided nothing but rhetoric.

Last edited:
More fulgian™ nonsense. You post like you know my stance here, when you have absolutely no idea..
I've never commented about lead use here at this forum. On other fora I have opined, lead is toxic, and I won't use it.
Why use lead when there are safer alternatives like copper bullets or steel shot?

Don't presume to lecture me on prudent life choices for the environment, yours (if you have any) wouldn't stand a chance against mine. I've posted at length about this in the past, you've provided nothing but rhetoric.

Although I acknowledge that this measure has only just been enacted, I thank you for your oblique response to my earlier question (post 111). It seems that there are issues where you would part company with the Trump administration. That's good. The common ground may be perilously small but instead of vituperation (on both sides) it would be productive to explore where we might find a shred or two more on which we can agree.

I've never commented here about lead use here at this forum. On other fora I have opined, lead is toxic, and I won't use it.

You need to learn to read more carefully. The charge is not that you approve of lead shot but that you enthusiastically support an administration that does. In other words, that you're a hypocrite.

And nobody cares about your "life choices", to which you continually allude and which have occasionally garnered the 'aren't you a good boy' pats on the head you so obviously crave, but which are utterly meaningless in the great world outside your narrow little life. To be accounted a good man one must extend one's efforts beyond the purely personal. But, surely, you know this?

Although I acknowledge that this measure has only just been enacted, I thank you for your oblique response to my earlier question (post 111). It seems that there are issues where you would part company with the Trump administration. That's good. The common ground may be perilously small but instead of vituperation (on both sides) it would be productive to explore where we might find a shred or two more on which we can agree.

John there are many areas I 'part company' with Trump (and the GOP).
Example? I'm very much opposed to nuclear power and its resulting waste management as it exists today. This current topic, lead, is another. I'd love to see cigarettes banned. Many would loathe me for that claiming that I'm treading on their rights.
In the same way, I think cannabis should be legal. The GOP want weed banned, or at least did.
My best friend is a liberal!...he's a defense attorney who represents those facing drug charges.
This is the internet and not everything is as it seems. I don't fall lock step with any particular party, no matter what someone here thinks. I think on every issue and weigh it myself.

I agree it's great to find common ground, but when people assume things about others and actually post based on those assumptions? Seriously? One can see how mutual respect is hopeless.

John there are many areas I 'part company' with Trump (and the GOP).
Example? I'm very much opposed to nuclear power and its resulting waste management as it exists today. This current topic, lead, is another. I'd love to see cigarettes banned. Many would loathe me for that claiming that I'm treading on their rights.
In the same way, I think cannabis should be legal. The GOP want weed banned, or at least did.
My best friend is a liberal!...he's a defense attorney who represents those facing drug charges.
This is the internet and not everything is as it seems. I don't fall lock step with any particular party, no matter what someone here thinks. I think on every issue and weigh it myself.

I agree it's great to find common ground, but when people assume things about others and actually post based on those assumptions? Seriously? One can see how mutual respect is hopeless.

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated,

Scott Pruitt--hard to imagine a more disastrous choice for EPA administrator. . .!

http://www.newyorker.com/news/amy-davidson/scott-pruitt-rejects-climate-change-reality

Well, disastrous if the EPA is supposed to work as it should. But, if you want to make money regardless of the costs to the environment and people's health, the perfect choice. Given Trump's stated policies during the campaign, none of this is surprising, it's evident that he wants to run the USA like a business with as few regulations as possible along with a big push to use fossil fuels. It seems that to Trump, the position for fossil fuels is why not? After all, the country can have more jobs, make more money, etc.

This view of course ignores the thousands of scientific studies that show why we shouldn't be using more fossil fuels as well the importance and patriotism associated with sustainable caretaking of our natural heritage (hence why some of us are not very happy with what the admin. is doing).

I appreciate you posting updates of the actions and decisions made by Trump. Let's work on solutions so we can hopefully limit the degradation and destruction that the current administration and its political and monied supporters will accomplish. Or, we could just sit back and let unscrupulous people in power gamble with our future, our friends, family, my two year old neighbor, and my eight year old daughter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back