• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharpie Pen Strikes Again! (2 Viewers)

Good point - what I maybe ought to have said is - 'better get on with some commissions' - sorry (and thanks for the comments).

I think I ran out of superlatives a long time ago Tim, which is a pity, as I could do with some new ones for these latest two. Wonderfullest! (to use a term stolen from a student). You know - I may have to steal your technique for a few pictures I'm afraid. Just woodpeckers mind, wouldn't be stepping on your toes!

Just had another good look at these latest efforts and I must add my bit here - they really are wonderful. Birdforum - where mortal men can rub shoulders with...I was going to say superior beings but I'll leave it at extremely talented, hard-working, highly skilled folk with pens, pencils and brushes!

Russ

Brilliant drawings Tim!
The eiders are marvelous but these waxwings are out of this world!!!
Can't find the right words to describe them correctly!

Paschalis

Looks like we were posting at the same time Jane - this one's 17"x11".
Nick - I think this medium is made for you. Get on with it and let's see the results (as long as it isn't a mythical pecker).

I dare say (or is it Ei der say) that Nick is correct. It is hard to keep coming up with appropriate superlatives. Full of life, wonderful palette, and just an amazing piece. What a great opportunity for the rest of us to be in the same room (albeit virtual) to share in your art!

Taking youngest to school this morning and I caught a pair of scrapping oystercatchers out the corner of my eye - this image stuck and I made a tiny pencil sketch which quickly turned into this - there's a very deformed lower bird - but I know hw to change this. At least the scene is true to my recollection. I have also been playing with a few comps using drawings from earlier and this goose pic is the result.

Attachments

• oikscrap.jpg
    oikscrap.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 117
  • goshare.jpg
    goshare.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 129
Wow, oystercatchers on the way to school! I could get used to that! Both sketches look good, and I'm always in awe of how you capture motion in your sketches. Not sure how serious oystercatcher fights are, but if they're as aggressive as loons/divers, those bills could pose serious issues to the combatants!

Stunning. Energetic and seemingly spontaneous. I'm running out of good things to say on this thread.... actually I could go on forever saying good things. I am running out of ways to express it though.

Thought I'd post the developed Oystercatcher piece - it turned into an oil on canvas, 30"x20" -

Attachments

• oiksmall.jpg
    oiksmall.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 145
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back