• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix P310 for Digiscoping (2 Viewers)

Neil

I'm getting back into a digiscoping mindset for the Year of the Snake coming up. Wandering through our local Computer/Camera mall on Tuesday I couldn't pass up the offer of the Nikon Coolpix 310 (minor upgrade on the P300 ) for US$200. I have been recommending this camera to people looking for a low cost entry into Digiscoping for some time as I had enjoyed the previous model (P300) which used the same lens for stills and HD video. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-coolpix-p310/
It takes the same battery as the P300 which I like , so with charged batteries I headed out to the wetland yesterday in the pm. Not expecting too much as weather has been marginal here for a week I was pleasantly surprised when the sun popped out around 4.00 pm and we had a nice sunset around 6.00 pm. Two hours of good light for digiscoping is a luxury here at this time of the year.
The camera was easy to set up on the Swarovski DCB 11 ( was switching back and forwards with the Sony RX 100 ) . Vignetting at the wide end of the lens ( 24 mm ) was as you would expect (see below ) but it had disappeared by 45 mm which is at the end of the Macro Mode ( Green Flower symbol ) .
The P310 is not a camera you would buy if you were looking for the best quality images as it doesn't have a Nikon ED lens and has a small sensor, but with it's fast burst mode of 7 fps ( for 5 frames ), very sharp lcd screen and quick AF it's a good entry-level offering. It's HD video does a good job to. See here https://vimeo.com/59110245 at the long end of the zoom.
These images were taken from a hide at a distance of 35 - 45 meters. The last image of the Eurasian Curlews was at 70x on the Swarovski zoom (approx 3500 mm)
Neil

Nikon P310 and Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope (30-70x zoom eyepiece ) and Swarovski DCB 11 Adapter

Mai Po Nature Reserve
Hong Kong,China
February, 2013

Attachments

• test P310 vignetting stx95 24mm DSCN0011.jpg
    test P310 vignetting stx95 24mm DSCN0011.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 630
  • northern pintails P310 stx95 45mm DSCN0038.jpg
    northern pintails P310 stx95 45mm DSCN0038.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 636
  • eurasian wigeon fem P310 stx95 dcb11 DSCN0378.jpg
    eurasian wigeon fem P310 stx95 dcb11 DSCN0378.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 667
  • eurasian wigeon male P310 stx95 dcb11 DSCN0283.jpg
    eurasian wigeon male P310 stx95 dcb11 DSCN0283.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 884
  • eurasian curlews roost P310 stx95 70x DSCN0484.jpg
    eurasian curlews roost P310 stx95 70x DSCN0484.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 855
I will use this thread for posting some photos, think its better to use one Thread for expamples (It will be easier to find for people searching for digiscoping examples of the P310)

Attachments

• Blaumeise nur geschäft.jpg
    Blaumeise nur geschäft.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 595
  • Blaumeise selbst bearbeitet.jpg
    Blaumeise selbst bearbeitet.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
I recently traded 'up' I feel from the Canon S90-95-100 series of cameras to the NikonP310. I like the Nikon, much easier to use than the S series Canon has out, so I feel almost perfect for digiscoping Neil.

One thing I don't like is that the camera has to be taken off the adapter to download photos as the slot is covered up by the adapter. I wish they would move that to the side...

Nice camera though.,...great shots, especially your last one! jim

Nikon is due to release an update model before April-May. Hopefully it will keep the same shape and button locations so it remains compatible with the FSB8 adapter.

I recently traded 'up' I feel from the Canon S90-95-100 series of cameras to the NikonP310. I like the Nikon, much easier to use than the S series Canon has out, so I feel almost perfect for digiscoping Neil.

One thing I don't like is that the camera has to be taken off the adapter to download photos as the slot is covered up by the adapter. I wish they would move that to the side...

Nice camera though.,...great shots, especially your last one! jim

If you use a 16 gig card it should get you through the day.
Neil

If you use a 16 gig card it should get you through the day.
Neil

Neil...I use a 16 gig when digiscoping..one thing I miss about the S series from Canon is being able to take 'timed' shots in multiples of 3. I believe the Nikon only has one shot although it can be from 3 or 10 secs... But I liked the multiple shots when in the time mode as it made for something interesting shots.... jim

Neil...I use a 16 gig when digiscoping..one thing I miss about the S series from Canon is being able to take 'timed' shots in multiples of 3. I believe the Nikon only has one shot although it can be from 3 or 10 secs... But I liked the multiple shots when in the time mode as it made for something interesting shots.... jim

Nikon has a "multiple snapshot " mode which takes about 16 frames, although in low rez. I will test it out again on Thursday when I next go out as I haven't used it for a few years.
Neil

I have 1x 32 gig card which I put in the V1 as it can really blow through the frames at 30/60 fps. I plan to have all cameras with 32gig cards soon as I hate changing cards in the field too.
Neil

I have 1x 32 gig card which I put in the V1 as it can really blow through the frames at 30/60 fps. I plan to have all cameras with 32gig cards soon as I hate changing cards in the field too.
Neil

Neil....when I digiscope I perhaps take 300 shots most...as digiscoping just slows me down which is one aspect I enjoy about it.

How many shots do you take a usual digiscoping adventure? When I use my DSLR I take a 1000 or more but not digiscoping.. jim

Neil....when I digiscope I perhaps take 300 shots most...as digiscoping just slows me down which is one aspect I enjoy about it.

How many shots do you take a usual digiscoping adventure? When I use my DSLR I take a 1000 or more but not digiscoping.. jim

Jim,
I'm shooting mostly HD video through the scope these days, much at 50/60 fps. It really chews up the memory.
Neil.

Jim,
I'm shooting mostly HD video through the scope these days, much at 50/60 fps. It really chews up the memory.
Neil.

Neil ...I haven't done that but do you find it easier to get better images that way since you can (or do you?) take photos from 'frame to frame'....? That way you have 10 seconds lets say of video and you can use software to pull out one frame?

What software do you use if that is the case...I am intrigued for that would certainly allow for more images and perhaps a better way to digiscope...?? jim

Jim, video frame grabs can be good IF the reduced resolution of ~2mp is enough for the end output AND the relatively slow 1/60sec shutter speed does not allow for subject blurring.

BTW Neil, did you manage any good pics from your Niseko trip?

Last edited:
Jim, video frame grabs can be good IF the reduced resolution of ~2mp is enough for the end output AND the relatively slow 1/60sec shutter speed does not allow for subject blurring.

BTW Neil, did you manage any good pics from your Niseko trip?
I need to experiment but it sounds as if some serious limitations might occur if not enough light. And digiscoping is 'low light' to begin with, but worth experimenting....
thanks for info...jim

Neil ...I haven't done that but do you find it easier to get better images that way since you can (or do you?) take photos from 'frame to frame'....? That way you have 10 seconds lets say of video and you can use software to pull out one frame?

What software do you use if that is the case...I am intrigued for that would certainly allow for more images and perhaps a better way to digiscope...?? jim

Jim,
I used iMovie but have recently switched to Final Cut Pro X which I like a lot.
This is a still from a short video I took yesterday at a distance of about 60 meters in hazy bright light around midday. https://vimeo.com/59696850 The original is only 720 x 1280 and 72 dpi. Maybe ok for record/id purposes but it's not going to win any awards.

Attachments

• Eurasian Curlews DB D800 60fps still frame14Feb 2013.jpg
    Eurasian Curlews DB D800 60fps still frame14Feb 2013.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 486
Neil...on a shot like that with that type of bird....it might almost be sharper to do without video since your subjects are relatively stagnant. I was thinking of using video more with moving objects in the water or on ground and taking a frame from the video....

Either way, worth experimenting, jim

Neil...on a shot like that with that type of bird....it might almost be sharper to do without video since your subjects are relatively stagnant. I was thinking of using video more with moving objects in the water or on ground and taking a frame from the video....

Either way, worth experimenting, jim

Jim,
You're right that you wont get similar quality, especially at distance. This is a still taken of a similar group of birds.
Neil

Attachments

• eurasian curlews roost DB DSC_1974.jpg
    eurasian curlews roost DB DSC_1974.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 377
These two photos digiscoped with the P310 in the late afternoon show up more detail than those taken at midday. Distance about 40 meters.
Neil
ps I love the power the STX 95 gives you.

Attachments

• eurasian curlews P310 stx95mm DSCN0183.jpg
    eurasian curlews P310 stx95mm DSCN0183.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 469
  • northern pintails fems P310 stx95 DSCN0196.jpg
    northern pintails fems P310 stx95 DSCN0196.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 505
Neil, thanks for your efforts here, and in a previous post. I find it much more understandable when one of the variables ie. the scope is kept constant and we can make good comparisons of the cameras. All too often, the scope changes as many times as the cameras on trial.

Great shots Neil, hope i will also get such good photos with the ATX85mm

P.S. The Flamingo pictures you have taken with NEX7 are quite impressive, saw them in the digiscoping newsgroup, what a stunning result!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back