• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland May 26th - June 2nd (1 Viewer)

Cudyll Bach

Spain
I have managed to book a Sun holiday at Craig Tara in Ayrshire starting on the 26th of May until the 30th of May. We then move to the Portsonachan Hotel on the banks of Loch Awe on the 30th. Can anyone tell me what sort of birding I can expect at the two locations? What, if any, Scottish specialities would I possibly find?

Thanks Capercaille, the forest sounds great. I had no Pied Flycatchers in my local woodland last year so they would be nice to see.

I can't help with the Ayrshire bit but you may also find some ideas in this trip report from a couple of years ago.

D

Thank you both. I liked your trip report Delia, how long is the drive from Portsonachan to Oban? Is a visit to Mull (or any of the other islands) feasible from Portsonachan?

Portsonachan to Oban will be less than an hour (if you don't keep stopping to look at the views;) ) so a trip to Mull (and Iona) is certainly feasible - check the Calmac site for ferry times.

The wildlife tour companies pick you up off the ferry which would maximise your chances of seeing your target species and save you the expense of taking the car over - you're not likely to go to Iona with them though. You'll get info about them on the Mull Birds site - they're all good so no need to worry which one to pick.

Arran would also be feasible too.

Islay is possible, I suppose, but you'd need to check the ferry timings to see whether you'd have long enough to make the trip worthwhile.

D

Many thanks again Delia. I am aware of the potential of Mull for birding/wildlife watching but what species could I expect on Islay? How long does the Lagavulin distillery tour take? 8-P

Take a look at this site we went out for the day with Jeremy in October a few years ago and it was excellent.

I went there for the Whitefronts and Chough:t: but otherwise the species would probably be similar to Mull I think. You could send a PM to Andrew Whitehouse - he lived there for a while I think.

LOL no idea how long a distillery tour takes, maybe one of the sites could tell you - I've only done the littlest one at Pitlochry and that took about an hour I suppose.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back