• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Lenses- suggestions? (1 Viewer)

janine13

Hello all I am planning to get the D-70 and need some advice as to which lens to start out with. I will only have about $500 US to spend. I was looking into the Sigma 28-80 f3.5-5.6 Macro & 70-300 f4-5.6 DL Macro package on www.cameraworld.com and also the Sigma - 2.0X Teleconverter EX APO. Or the Quantaray - 28-200MM F3.8-5.6. Does anyone have any experience with these lenses, or can recommend something else within my price range? Thanks.
:bounce:

Last edited:
Don't get a Quantaray lens. These tend to be outmoded Sigma designs and their performance is usually (not always) subpar. For an everyday lens, the Nikon 24-85mm. 3.5-4.5 AF-S lens is very good and it's reasonably priced. The new Nikon 17-55mm. DX designed specifically for digital cameras is also a good choice, particularly since this gives you a fighting chance to get wide-angle photos.

The Sigma package you mention comprises two fairly mediocre lenses. They will get you started but you'll outgrow them quickly. And they are fairly useless for bird photography. For birds you need to look to get at least a 400mm. lens. You might have to save up to get something good here, but a used Sigma 400mm. f5.6 APO lens might get you started.

For a zoom in the 70-300mm. range, the Sigma APO Super Macro (I think it's called) is a good buy. The APO feature is important in terms of getting sharpness at the longer focal lengths.

I would stay away from "do it all" lenses like a 28-200. Their weakness is magnified when used with a digital SLR.

The Sigma APO teleconverters only work with Sigma HSM lenses. For a "general purpose" teleconverter look at Kenko Pro Teleplus 1.4x or 2x; they are very good and work well with a variety of equipment.

Thanks for the information! I looked around a little and found the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO Aspherical Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF-D. It is going new for just a little more than $500. Is this similar to the one you suggested?

What is a reputable dealer of used lenses, have you dealt with any you would recommend?

janine13 said:
Thanks for the information! I looked around a little and found the Sigma Zoom Telephoto 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO Aspherical Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF-D. It is going new for just a little more than $500. Is this similar to the one you suggested?

What is a reputable dealer of used lenses, have you dealt with any you would recommend?

The 135-400mm. is not going to be as good at longer focal lengths as the fixed 400mm. But it's more versatile, of course. But I have no direct experience with this lens. Since you're joining the "Nikon family" anyway, you might go to the Nikonians forum (http://www.nikonians.com/) and post your questions in the Nikkors forum and also the Sigma lens forum. There's also a nature photography forum there. You'll find people there who have used all of these lenses.

As for used lenses, the most reliable source would be Keh Camera in Atlanta
http://www.keh.com. Their appraisal system for used lenses is very cautious, so if they say a lens is "good" you know it's truly good.

The best buys on used lenses will be found at ebay. But that's a little more risky, especially if you're new to buying optical equipment.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back