• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Pipit ID please (1 Viewer)

It would only be because of a certain angle, a certain light effect, and the fact that we are looking at one image, that could make up for such a dark lore on a Citrine.
I think the wide looking whitish greater covert tips are made visible due to wind blown lesser coverts. Yes Jane, is that a flank stripe? I also wonder, and I would certainly want to see at least some more of them to be a WaterP, not necessarily that sharply black though.
JanJ

Jane Turner said:
Trying to find a pic of winter blakistoni wapit... and failing! They are pale and nealy unmarked. I've seen one that is so like this bird it could be twins - just can't find it now!

Not disputing too hard - just keeping the debate open.. I can't get past the fact this bird has the somewhat intangible feel of a Wapit!

The daft thing is that this would take about a pico second in the field!

I suppose you don´t mean these do you.
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/birdimages.php?action=birdspecies&Bird_ID=2093&Bird_Image_ID=2492
JanJ

Tim Allwood said:
wouldn't a non breeding wapit (or rosy) at this time have loadsa streaks though?

and be much much browner?

Well it would if it was a. In winter plumage... and b. looked like our race.....
though perhaps the colour is a photographic effect!

It was to be a pipit or a Wagtail .... and if we try hard enough we can rule everything out on plumage. AS I said I can see where you are coming from with Cit Wag - but it just feels like a Wapit.. I know that isn't scientific!

Take that flank streak away and I'd be on very thin ice!

a non breeding blakistoni (which is what they are there) should have streaky upper breast at least, more streaky flanks... and paler lores than our wapit and be buffier under/browner above than this bird, with less obvious wing bars...?

still not entirely sure it's Cit though... Yellow still in it for me...

anyone else got an opinion?

This is coming down to:

Is it a Wagtail that has a flank streak or a Water Pipit that is either unusally unstreaked or has delayed its moult.

It would be so easy in the field. On that note Cyberdoc has been adamant it was a pipit throughout!

Tim Allwood said:
a non breeding blakistoni (which is what they are there) should have streaky upper breast at least, more streaky flanks... and paler lores than our wapit and be buffier under/browner above than this bird, with less obvious wing bars...?

still not entirely sure it's Cit though... Yellow still in it for me...

anyone else got an opinion?

I'm with you Tim. Also note that this bird has a black bill. Would blakistoni show a black bill at this time of year? All the photos so far indicate that there should be some yellow.

Darrell

Last edited:
Hi,
Good thread this as said before, a minute in the field wouldn't create half the problem. Have uploaded a photo of water pipit, now need to compare. Shall be back later. Body has wagtail proportions but feel this may be due to angle of photo and turned head. Slimness appears waggie.

Worthy of comparison: beak shape. On one in question appears much thinner and slightly longer (wagtail?) Possible eye ring vis in pipit but not in unknown. Maybe due to photos, but first has greyer hue than pipit which appears to have a buffish wash on flanks.
Just added cit wag photo for further interest or confusion. Learning loads here as I delve in so apologise if my vocab is not spot on. However, am eering on the side of wagtail sp and still fancy citrine. Not too dissimilar to the one seen at the cressbeds in Norfolk a couple of years ago, although, if I remember, that had tints of yellow around throat?

Attachments

• unknown60.jpg
    unknown60.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Water-Pipit-(03-05).jpg
    Water-Pipit-(03-05).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 83
  • citrine.jpg
    citrine.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Still curious to know how a Flava or Citrine Wag could get a black flank stripe! But I guess we are not going to get much further with this one.

It looks nice and brown against the alba wagtail too

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back